02-12-2016 05:03 PM
58 123
tools
    I'm thinking of going with AT&T, what are everyone's thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    My first thought is that your post is completely Off Topic!

However, as I am in a good mood this morning... see #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide which offers a detailed reply to your question.
    HeroicLove likes this.
    08-12-2015 02:16 AM
    ._.

I was REALLY looking forward to using a custom ROM after I found how bloated my phone was.
    Now to find out I am on OE1... :|
    ironass likes this.
    08-12-2015 07:26 PM
    ._.

I was REALLY looking forward to using a custom ROM after I found how bloated my phone was.
    Now to find out I am on OE1... :|

KIM JONG-UN, Supreme Leader of North Korea, is at this very moment, in secret talks with Verizon on how he too can exercise the same totalitarian control over his people that Verizon imposes on their customers!
    08-12-2015 07:57 PM
    Yes they really screwed us over didn't they. I will be going back to Sprint ASAP.

ironass likes this.
    08-19-2015 12:08 PM
    Yes they really screwed us over didn't they. I will be going back to Sprint ASAP.

If it makes you feel any better, AT&T have followed the same path as Verizon and are also preventing rooting. So, now, both of the models running their own, "cloneware", as per #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide are not allowing rooting on the Galaxy S5 and other models and makes, in future.

This does NOT apply to the other 99.5% of Samsung users worldwide that are not on Verizon or AT&T.

(N.B. Have amended post #1 to reflect the new OG5 release)
    08-22-2015 02:03 AM
    I have found no desire to root my phone, but I don't think any of the Canadian variants are able to be rooted once they've been updated to 5.0.

edit: I stand corrected... there is, apparently, a Chainfire root for the Canadian GS5
    ironass likes this.
    08-22-2015 10:41 AM
    The only real reason to root phones is to get rid of bloatware to makes space for **** you actually use. All other reasons arw fine tuning and customization. The S6 starts off with 32GB of memory. I don't need to root.
    Yes, I know this thread is about the S5. Get a S6 already.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    08-22-2015 10:55 AM
    Some of us S5 users actually prefer it to the S6. Plus more space is handy on any model and rooting does give one full control over the device you purchased.
    ironass likes this.
    08-22-2015 11:27 AM
    Some of us S5 users actually prefer it to the S6. Plus more space is handy on any model and rooting does give one full control over the device you purchased.
    Fair enough.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    08-22-2015 11:29 AM
    I have found no desire to root my phone, but I don't think any of the Canadian variants are able to be rooted once they've been updated to 5.0.

edit: I stand corrected... there is, apparently, a Chainfire root for the Canadian GS5
    There is indeed a chainfire, CF-Auto-Root kenel for the Canadian models, G900W8, and no locked bootloaders, either... not Samsung's policy.

Some of us S5 users actually prefer it to the S6.
    Judging from the poor Galaxy S6 sales worldwide, I would say a lot of users prefer the S5.
    08-22-2015 12:17 PM
    Please tell me there is a solution to this now? Being restricted without SU access sucks!
    11-04-2015 10:26 AM
    Please tell me there is a solution to this now? Being restricted without SU access sucks!
    Nope! You're still screwed thanks to Verizon. They, and AT&T, have shoved the rough end of a pineapple up where the sun don't shine to rooters I'm afraid. Rooting is now officially history on those 2 clonewares. They have made their intentions quite clear on a large number of various phones and models. Even if an exploit is found, such as the old downgrading to 4.4.2 and rooting, they will seal it off with a firmware release. Remember, their phones haven't been rootable since Android 4.4.4... over a year ago and no new rooting exploits have been found since 4.4.2.
    11-04-2015 10:37 AM
    Good thing they dont take bug fixing seriously and Verizon stopped on 5.0. So many bugs that they dont bother to fix. Time to get searching. Zero days tonight( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    11-04-2015 02:28 PM
    I didn't bother contacting Verizon (I get the feeling they wouldn't care what I think), but Samsung might take complaints seriously. I told them I'd never purchase another Samsung-branded device owing owing to the awful experience I've had with my S5. It wasn't a bluff.

I thought Android was supposed to be about freedom, but jailbreaking an iPhone is trivial whereas I apparently have 0 options with my S5. You know what else an iPhone doesn't do? Suddenly throw an update prompt on your screen when you unlock so that you might accidentally click "yes", after which you can't cancel. Purchasing a Galaxy was a terrible mistake on my part. There are so many cheaper, less-locked down Android phones that would have served me better. And I do blame Samsung for allowing Verizon to **** their customers like this.
    11-11-2015 02:05 PM
    I didn't bother contacting Verizon (I get the feeling they wouldn't care what I think), but Samsung might take complaints seriously. I told them I'd never purchase another Samsung-branded device owing owing to the awful experience I've had with my S5. It wasn't a bluff.

I thought Android was supposed to be about freedom, but jailbreaking an iPhone is trivial whereas I apparently have 0 options with my S5. You know what else an iPhone doesn't do? Suddenly throw an update prompt on your screen when you unlock so that you might accidentally click "yes", after which you can't cancel. Purchasing a Galaxy was a terrible mistake on my part. There are so many cheaper, less-locked down Android phones that would have served me better. And I do blame Samsung for allowing Verizon to **** their customers like this.
    Hello and welcome to Android central Berryl Jones!

I am afraid that the automatic, forced updates and unrootable firmware on both the Verizon and AT&T models are nothing to do with Samsung. See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. All the worldwide models have a choice on updates and are rootable.

The price of doing business with the 2 largest carriers in the U.S.A., for Samsung and other phone manufacturers, was to cede control of their firmware to those carriers. Because of the U.S.A's fragmented carrier network system there will be no change to this until there is another major carrier on the scene that can compete with these 2 and offer, perhaps, unbranded, unbloated and rootable phones with regular updates that the rest of the world benefit from. See, Samsung release new security updates worldwide. Until that time, both AT&T and Verizon will maintain their totalitarian grip on the phone market. However, all this may change now that they are no longer offering subsidies and customers can bring their own handsets to them.

TOP TIP:

If you want an unbranded, unbloated, rootable, Galaxy S5 model to bring to the AT&T network, choose the G900M regional model, see #1.4 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, which will work on all bands for AT&T. See, Will My Phone Work?
    Tritonemusic and BerryBubbles like this.
    11-11-2015 09:45 PM
    I read in another forum that someone was able to brake the firmware into four files: a BL, CNC, AP, ABCDEFG...ETC. Then they used Odin to downgrade by leaving the BL (bootleg) out. They had AT&T. Any ideas on how this might work?
    11-23-2015 01:49 AM
    I read in another forum that someone was able to brake the firmware into four files: a BL, CNC, AP, ABCDEFG...ETC. Then they used Odin to downgrade by leaving the BL (bootleg) out. They had AT&T. Any ideas on how this might work?
    No. My understanding is that the AT&T Android 5.0/5.1.1 bootloader is incompatible with earlier Android releases. Have you got a link?
    11-23-2015 06:07 AM
    It seems that it is not just the Galaxy S5 that Verizon has chosen to make unrootable.

Verizon have also released their new, own version, firmwares for the Galaxy S6 Edge and Motorola Droid Turbo that contain new, unrootable, bootloaders, as this article confirms...

"That’s because latest updates from Verizon — whether that be for S5 or Galaxy S6 Edge or Droid Turbo — patch up the root exploits and thus blocks root solution available at the moment. Thus leaving you stuck with unrootable device until new exploit is discovered and presented as root solution."

Strange, that Samsung are currently rolling out a later bootloader to Verizon's OE1, the OE5, to its worldwide models, that continues to allow rooting and down grading!

For more information on your model of Galaxy S5, see 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
    I've got the Turbo. At the moment, we can root and unlock the bootloader. I just did it on this device. We're supposed to be getting the new bootloader with the Android M OTA that will be coming sometime in Q1.
    12-14-2015 03:58 AM
    I've got the Turbo. At the moment, we can root and unlock the bootloader. I just did it on this device. We're supposed to be getting the new bootloader with the Android M OTA that will be coming sometime in Q1.
    You have a Motorola Droid Turbo with Verizon and are on Android 5.1.1 and you do not have a locked bootloader?

Is there any possibilities for rooting turbo's lollipop?
    12-14-2015 04:30 AM
    Which carrier are you with?
    Verizon.
    12-14-2015 04:30 AM
    Verizon.
    12-14-2015 04:31 AM
    Why is this guy having problems...

Is there any possibilities for rooting turbo's lollipop?

From post #2 of the above thread...

"1: Yes mofo, in its current state will not get you root on LP, and yes, AFAIK, the mofo exploit was patched.

2: Yes verizon has no desire to give you bootloader access.. I cant source that but if you find me something opposing it... I will be grateful.

3: The rumors were false. There was no verizon unlock in any capacity.
    "

Perhaps, like some Verizon S5 users, you were rooted prior to the update.
    12-14-2015 04:53 AM
    Really wish Verizon wouldn't do this. Unless people are mass rooting their Edge plan phones or something, rooting itself is such a niche action. The only reason I would root would be to get rid of that blasted "installer mode" that Verizon forces on every USB connection. Would like it if the Android manufacturers would stand a little taller to the carriers the way Apple does.
    12-14-2015 05:27 AM
    Really wish Verizon wouldn't do this. Unless people are mass rooting their Edge plan phones or something, rooting itself is such a niche action. The only reason I would root would be to get rid of that blasted "installer mode" that Verizon forces on every USB connection. Would like it if the Android manufacturers would stand a little taller to the carriers the way Apple does.
    I believe the problem arose after Verizon released their God awful version of Lollipop at the beginning of the year and suddenly Verizon users were either downgrading or rooting en masse.
    12-14-2015 05:33 AM
    I believe the problem arose after Verizon released their God awful version of Lollipop at the beginning of the year and suddenly Verizon users were either downgrading or rooting en masse.
    Yeah. The Lollipop build they have now is actually pretty good compared to that one. I've had a general solid routine with it since the last update. Wish some of the optimizations of later builds made it to Verizon's cloneware. But I'm guessing if there's any more updates, it will be a Marshmallow update.
    12-14-2015 05:42 AM
58 123