[UPDATE:] Verizon's new OE1/OG5/OK3 updates prevent downgrading or rooting

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE: SEE POST #58

If you are at present, running the latest, U.S. carrier, Verizon OE1, OG5 or OK3 firmwares on model G900V you will be unable to downgrade your firmware at all and particularly to Android 4.4.2, to root your phone thanks to Verizon's own new and unique bootloader.

Make no mistake, this has nothing to do with Samsung or Google. This is Verizon's very own surprise for their customers!

Verizon does not allow you to... refuse an update... downgrade from an update or... want you to root their phones!

WARNING! Verizon are rolling the OE1 & OG5 updates out to customers and unless you are already rooted and have disabled OTA updates, there is no way of stopping it.

"You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile!"
(The Borg)

Thanks Verizon... welcome to, "the land of the free!"

For more information about your model, see #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide which starts with...

"Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...
Think again!
"

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Verizon OE1 update prevents rooting/downgrading

See the warning in the xda developers thread...

[How-To] Update to G900V_OE1 - 5.0 and KeepRoot

Notes:

1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to OE1. The OE1 bootloader will not be updated to allow for downgrading to previous firmware versions.
3. No need to wipe prior to flashing, the ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
4. If you do not already have root access (or to unbrick) you must flash the Full Wipe G900V_Downgrade_to_NCG.tar using Odin's PDA/AP slot, (Caution! do not flash if you have taken the OE1 ota update!), root with Towelroot, then proceed with the above process.
5. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: [EXPERIMENTAL] Flashing on G900A_OC4 - 5.0 Lollipop - Post #2 - XDA Forums

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I am firmly convinced that there is someone at Verizon whose sole job in life is to find new ways of p*ssing their customers off! :D

1. Non stock, Verizon's ersatz version of Lollipop firmware. See #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

2. More added bloatware/cr*pware than any other S5 model on the planet.

3. Locked bootloader that cannot be rooted.

4. Less bugfix updates than stock Samsung models.

5. Forced OTA updates with no ability to refuse or reject.

I am sure there is more.

Verizon's policy seems to be... "Hey! You're getting a heavily subsidised phone... so quit yer whining!"

Slogan should be... "We don't care... 'cos you don't matter!"

For more information, see the Dummies Guide mentioned in item #1. It starts with the sentence...

"Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...
Think again!
"

Last edited:

Host Dolphins

May 29, 2013
Visit site

Luckily I am already downgraded and rooted, before they released this update. Thank you for this thread however.

I will be leaving Verizon when the time comes to get a new phone.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

It seems that it is not just the Galaxy S5 that Verizon has chosen to make unrootable.

Verizon have also released their new, own version, firmwares for the Galaxy S6 Edge and Motorola Droid Turbo that contain new, unrootable, bootloaders, as this article confirms...

"That’s because latest updates from Verizon — whether that be for S5 or Galaxy S6 Edge or Droid Turbo — patch up the root exploits and thus blocks root solution available at the moment. Thus leaving you stuck with unrootable device until new exploit is discovered and presented as root solution."

Strange, that Samsung are currently rolling out a later bootloader to Verizon's OE1, the OE5, to its worldwide models, that continues to allow rooting and down grading!

For more information on your model of Galaxy S5, see 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Verizon's OE1 and a later dated OD5 have both appeared on Sammobile.

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

The OD5 that was on there was dated 6/16, the one on there now is dated 7/21. OE1 only appeared 7/22 as this is the 1st time Kies recognizes it as an upgrade from my OD5 install.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

The OD5 that was on there was dated 6/16, the one on there now is dated 7/21. OE1 only appeared 7/22 as this is the 1st time Kies recognizes it as an upgrade from my OD5 install.

As you've seen with OD5, SamMobile regularly update their downloads as a matter of course.

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I just wondered if they fixed something or what. I plan on doing the OE1 tonight after work as I don't plan on rooting the S5. I'm still waiting to see if a theme store similar to the S6 will be available for the S5.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I just wondered if they fixed something or what. I plan on doing the OE1 tonight after work as I don't plan on rooting the S5. I'm still waiting to see if a theme store similar to the S6 will be available for the S5.

No difference from the OD5 update, (same changelist #)... apart from Verizon's new, mega locked down, bootloader.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Have added the the WARNING! to post #1 that unless you are on an earlier Verizon release and are already rooted and have disabled OTA updates from Verizon, the OE1 firmware will be, unlike stock Samsung firmwares, installed automatically on your phone. There is no way of stopping it otherwise.

"You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile" (The Borg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww

Last edited:

aniq52

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

when will Verizon let people downgrade the s5 sm-g900v back to kitkat im kind of upset that i cant downgrade

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

when will Verizon let people downgrade the s5 sm-g900v back to kitkat im kind of upset that i cant downgrade

Verizon will never let customers downgrade. Hence their new mega locked bootloader.

why dont they want people to downgrade back to kitkat?

So they cannot root their phones, something that their customers have been doing wholesale since they launched their ersatz version of Lollipop.Samsung, on the other hand, do not lock their bootloaders by default.

mbausch

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand

Why the referenced experimental Flashfire doesn't overwrite the Verizon bootloader. I guess the real problem is I don't really understand Android OS. I know that no matter what OS is loaded on whatever hardware comprises my desktop, I can install Ubuntu 10.2 if I'm so inclined. Probably the wrong thread for this, but someone please help me understand why we can't take a working phone and duplicate it onto the exact same hardware and have it work. (I'm not disputing it at all, just tryig to understand it so I can get on with my very frustrated day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair