[UPDATE:] Verizon's new OE1/OG5/OK3 updates prevent downgrading or rooting

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon OE1 update prevents rooting/downgrading

what bout other carriers rather then verizon?do they allow downgrade?and btw hows OE1

Posted via the Android Central App

I've only had my phone since April, but OE1 is much faster and smoother than the previous version of Lollipop, and the battery life seems to be better as well.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

what bout other carriers rather then verizon?do they allow downgrade?and btw hows OE1

No problem with other carriers. As per post #1, "thanks to Verizon's own new and unique bootloader"

I've only had my phone since April, but OE1 is much faster and smoother than the previous version of Lollipop, and the battery life seems to be better as well.

Both Verizon's OD5 and OE1 firmware releases should be better than their launch version since they are identical apart from the mega locked down bootloader on OE1 that Verizon added.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

No problem with other carriers. As per post #1, "thanks to Verizon's own new and unique bootloader"

Both Verizon's OD5 and OE1 firmware releases should be better than their launch version since they are identical apart from the mega locked down bootloader on OE1 that Verizon added.

I am pretty sure I never had OD5...so I can't really comment on it, but your logical analysis seems most likely! Perhaps those that may need the unlockable bootloader should find a way to flash OD5 since OE1 seems to be better than whatever version was before OD5...

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

More and more, on this and other forums, it seems to be slowly dawning on Verizon G900V users that if they have updated to the latest Verizon OE1 firmware, that they can no longer downgrade their firmware or root their phones.

Verizon are busy extending this mega locked down bootloader to other models and manufacturers that they offer.

Make no mistake... this is not an Android or Samsung imposed limitation. This is all down to the carrier, Verizon!

Last edited:

HeroicLove

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I'm thinking of going with AT&T, what are everyone's thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jacksmith33

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

._.

I was REALLY looking forward to using a custom ROM after I found how bloated my phone was.
Now to find out I am on OE1... :|

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

._.

I was REALLY looking forward to using a custom ROM after I found how bloated my phone was.
Now to find out I am on OE1... :|

KIM JONG-UN, Supreme Leader of North Korea, is at this very moment, in secret talks with Verizon on how he too can exercise the same totalitarian control over his people that Verizon imposes on their customers!

HeroicLove

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Yes they really screwed us over didn't they. I will be going back to Sprint ASAP.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Yes they really screwed us over didn't they. I will be going back to Sprint ASAP.

If it makes you feel any better, AT&T have followed the same path as Verizon and are also preventing rooting. So, now, both of the models running their own, "cloneware", as per #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide are not allowing rooting on the Galaxy S5 and other models and makes, in future.

This does NOT apply to the other 99.5% of Samsung users worldwide that are not on Verizon or AT&T.

(N.B. Have amended post #1 to reflect the new OG5 release)

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

I have found no desire to root my phone, but I don't think any of the Canadian variants are able to be rooted once they've been updated to 5.0.

edit: I stand corrected... there is, apparently, a Chainfire root for the Canadian GS5

Avgvstvs

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon's new OE1 & OG5 updates prevent downgrading or rooting

The only real reason to root phones is to get rid of bloatware to makes space for **** you actually use. All other reasons arw fine tuning and customization. The S6 starts off with 32GB of memory. I don't need to root.
Yes, I know this thread is about the S5. Get a S6 already.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Some of us S5 users actually prefer it to the S6. Plus more space is handy on any model and rooting does give one full control over the device you purchased.

Avgvstvs

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Some of us S5 users actually prefer it to the S6. Plus more space is handy on any model and rooting does give one full control over the device you purchased.
Fair enough.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I have found no desire to root my phone, but I don't think any of the Canadian variants are able to be rooted once they've been updated to 5.0.

edit: I stand corrected... there is, apparently, a Chainfire root for the Canadian GS5

There is indeed a chainfire, CF-Auto-Root kenel for the Canadian models, G900W8, and no locked bootloaders, either... not Samsung's policy.

Some of us S5 users actually prefer it to the S6.

Judging from the poor Galaxy S6 sales worldwide, I would say a lot of users prefer the S5.

jacksmith33

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

Please tell me there is a solution to this now? Being restricted without SU access sucks!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Please tell me there is a solution to this now? Being restricted without SU access sucks!

Nope! You're still screwed thanks to Verizon. They, and AT&T, have shoved the rough end of a pineapple up where the sun don't shine to rooters I'm afraid. Rooting is now officially history on those 2 clonewares. They have made their intentions quite clear on a large number of various phones and models. Even if an exploit is found, such as the old downgrading to 4.4.2 and rooting, they will seal it off with a firmware release. Remember, their phones haven't been rootable since Android 4.4.4... over a year ago and no new rooting exploits have been found since 4.4.2.

jacksmith33

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

Good thing they dont take bug fixing seriously and Verizon stopped on 5.0. So many bugs that they dont bother to fix. Time to get searching. Zero days tonight( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Berryl Jones

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

I didn't bother contacting Verizon (I get the feeling they wouldn't care what I think), but Samsung might take complaints seriously. I told them I'd never purchase another Samsung-branded device owing owing to the awful experience I've had with my S5. It wasn't a bluff.

I thought Android was supposed to be about freedom, but jailbreaking an iPhone is trivial whereas I apparently have 0 options with my S5. You know what else an iPhone doesn't do? Suddenly throw an update prompt on your screen when you unlock so that you might accidentally click "yes", after which you can't cancel. Purchasing a Galaxy was a terrible mistake on my part. There are so many cheaper, less-locked down Android phones that would have served me better. And I do blame Samsung for allowing Verizon to **** their customers like this.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I didn't bother contacting Verizon (I get the feeling they wouldn't care what I think), but Samsung might take complaints seriously. I told them I'd never purchase another Samsung-branded device owing owing to the awful experience I've had with my S5. It wasn't a bluff.

I thought Android was supposed to be about freedom, but jailbreaking an iPhone is trivial whereas I apparently have 0 options with my S5. You know what else an iPhone doesn't do? Suddenly throw an update prompt on your screen when you unlock so that you might accidentally click "yes", after which you can't cancel. Purchasing a Galaxy was a terrible mistake on my part. There are so many cheaper, less-locked down Android phones that would have served me better. And I do blame Samsung for allowing Verizon to **** their customers like this.

Hello and welcome to Android central Berryl Jones!

I am afraid that the automatic, forced updates and unrootable firmware on both the Verizon and AT&T models are nothing to do with Samsung. See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. All the worldwide models have a choice on updates and are rootable.

The price of doing business with the 2 largest carriers in the U.S.A., for Samsung and other phone manufacturers, was to cede control of their firmware to those carriers. Because of the U.S.A's fragmented carrier network system there will be no change to this until there is another major carrier on the scene that can compete with these 2 and offer, perhaps, unbranded, unbloated and rootable phones with regular updates that the rest of the world benefit from. See, Samsung release new security updates worldwide. Until that time, both AT&T and Verizon will maintain their totalitarian grip on the phone market. However, all this may change now that they are no longer offering subsidies and customers can bring their own handsets to them.

TOP TIP:

If you want an unbranded, unbloated, rootable, Galaxy S5 model to bring to the AT&T network, choose the G900M regional model, see #1.4 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, which will work on all bands for AT&T. See, Will My Phone Work?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12