[UPDATE:] Verizon's new OE1/OG5/OK3 updates prevent downgrading or rooting

bryanff

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Verizon's new OE1 & OG5 updates prevent downgrading or rooting

I read in another forum that someone was able to brake the firmware into four files: a BL, CNC, AP, ABCDEFG...ETC. Then they used Odin to downgrade by leaving the BL (bootleg) out. They had AT&T. Any ideas on how this might work?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I read in another forum that someone was able to brake the firmware into four files: a BL, CNC, AP, ABCDEFG...ETC. Then they used Odin to downgrade by leaving the BL (bootleg) out. They had AT&T. Any ideas on how this might work?

No. My understanding is that the AT&T Android 5.0/5.1.1 bootloader is incompatible with earlier Android releases. Have you got a link?

matt.eskes

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Verizon OE1 update prevents rooting/downgrading

It seems that it is not just the Galaxy S5 that Verizon has chosen to make unrootable.

Verizon have also released their new, own version, firmwares for the Galaxy S6 Edge and Motorola Droid Turbo that contain new, unrootable, bootloaders, as this article confirms...

"That’s because latest updates from Verizon — whether that be for S5 or Galaxy S6 Edge or Droid Turbo — patch up the root exploits and thus blocks root solution available at the moment. Thus leaving you stuck with unrootable device until new exploit is discovered and presented as root solution."

Strange, that Samsung are currently rolling out a later bootloader to Verizon's OE1, the OE5, to its worldwide models, that continues to allow rooting and down grading!

For more information on your model of Galaxy S5, see 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
I've got the Turbo. At the moment, we can root and unlock the bootloader. I just did it on this device. We're supposed to be getting the new bootloader with the Android M OTA that will be coming sometime in Q1.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I've got the Turbo. At the moment, we can root and unlock the bootloader. I just did it on this device. We're supposed to be getting the new bootloader with the Android M OTA that will be coming sometime in Q1.

You have a Motorola Droid Turbo with Verizon and are on Android 5.1.1 and you do not have a locked bootloader?

Is there any possibilities for rooting turbo's lollipop?

Last edited:

matt.eskes

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

073c3cfc54da1d5834c9a609f474dd36.jpg

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Why is this guy having problems...

From post #2 of the above thread...

"1: Yes mofo, in its current state will not get you root on LP, and yes, AFAIK, the mofo exploit was patched.

2: Yes verizon has no desire to give you bootloader access.. I cant source that but if you find me something opposing it... I will be grateful.

3: The rumors were false. There was no verizon unlock in any capacity.
"

Perhaps, like some Verizon S5 users, you were rooted prior to the update.

Last edited:

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Really wish Verizon wouldn't do this. Unless people are mass rooting their Edge plan phones or something, rooting itself is such a niche action. The only reason I would root would be to get rid of that blasted "installer mode" that Verizon forces on every USB connection. Would like it if the Android manufacturers would stand a little taller to the carriers the way Apple does.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Really wish Verizon wouldn't do this. Unless people are mass rooting their Edge plan phones or something, rooting itself is such a niche action. The only reason I would root would be to get rid of that blasted "installer mode" that Verizon forces on every USB connection. Would like it if the Android manufacturers would stand a little taller to the carriers the way Apple does.

I believe the problem arose after Verizon released their God awful version of Lollipop at the beginning of the year and suddenly Verizon users were either downgrading or rooting en masse.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

I believe the problem arose after Verizon released their God awful version of Lollipop at the beginning of the year and suddenly Verizon users were either downgrading or rooting en masse.

Yeah. The Lollipop build they have now is actually pretty good compared to that one. I've had a general solid routine with it since the last update. Wish some of the optimizations of later builds made it to Verizon's cloneware. But I'm guessing if there's any more updates, it will be a Marshmallow update.

matt.eskes

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

Why is this guy having problems...

From post #2 of the above thread...

"1: Yes mofo, in its current state will not get you root on LP, and yes, AFAIK, the mofo exploit was patched.

2: Yes verizon has no desire to give you bootloader access.. I cant source that but if you find me something opposing it... I will be grateful.

3: The rumors were false. There was no verizon unlock in any capacity.
"

Perhaps, like some Verizon S5 users, you were rooted prior to the update.
We're using kingroot to gain a temp root long enough to spin TWRP on, then uninstalling it, and replacing it with supersu. Fortunately, this isn't the only quark device, and shamu has the same hardware, so porting is pretty straight forward. Kingroot on this device is a pretty picky *****, till you relax SELinux.

matt.eskes

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

We're using kingroot to gain a temp root long enough to spin TWRP on, then uninstalling it, and replacing it with supersu. Fortunately, this isn't the only quark device, and shamu has the same hardware, so porting is pretty straight forward. Kingroot on this device is a pretty picky *****, till you relax SELinux.
So yeah, mosy on over to the Turbo's XDA page, and you'll see what I'm saying is legit, instead of being dismissive.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

If that is the case, I am pleased for Motorola Droid Turbo users that rooting is now finally possible. However, my post #5 was originally written back in July and at that time it was correct, I think you will agree. The point is that Verizon appear to have declared war on rooting and if, as you say, an exploit has been found, Verizon will surely close it off in a future firmware release, perhaps Marshmallow, as they did with the Verizon Galaxy S5 downgrade exploit.

Last edited:

matt.eskes

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

If that is the case, I am pleased for Motorola Droid Turbo users that rooting is now finally possible. However, my post #5 was originally written back in July and at that time it was correct, I think you will agree. The point is that Verizon appear to have declared war on rooting and if, as you say, an exploit has been found, Verizon will surely close it off in a future firmware release, perhaps Marshmallow, as they did with the Verizon Galaxy S5 downgrade exploit.
Not if. Is. And that's exactly what I said in my first reply to you. I even said that at the *moment* it's safe, but they're looking to put the new bootloader in with M.

Regardless of when you initially posted, my reply was, and should have been, taken as an update on the status of the device, not a point for someone to argue whether or not the device is unlocked. It clearly is. I have nothing to gain from photoshopping something, and besides, a simple Google search of "Motorola Droid Turbo unlocked bootloader xda" would take you to the proper thread.

Clearly, you're intelligent enough too root and ROM, which to me, would mean you'd know to do that, as well. So that indicates that, for whatever the reason, you're trying to save face and not have to apologize for for a misunderstanding.

To be honest, I've tired of trying to insist that what I'm saying is legit, when you could have easily verified this on your own, when all was doing in the first place, was interjecting a correction to an incorrect assumption that my device was "unlockable and unrootable due to Verizon's Titanic of a bootloader. Remember, given enough time, energy, talent and resources, nothing is impossible.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Not if. Is. And that's exactly what I said in my first reply to you. I even said that at the *moment* it's safe, but they're looking to put the new bootloader in with M.

Regardless of when you initially posted, my reply was, and should have been, taken as an update on the status of the device, not a point for someone to argue whether or not the device is unlocked. It clearly is. I have nothing to gain from photoshopping something, and besides, a simple Google search of "Motorola Droid Turbo unlocked bootloader xda" would take you to the proper thread.

Clearly, you're intelligent enough too root and ROM, which to me, would mean you'd know to do that, as well. So that indicates that, for whatever the reason, you're trying to save face and not have to apologize for for a misunderstanding.

To be honest, I've tired of trying to insist that what I'm saying is legit, when you could have easily verified this on your own, when all was doing in the first place, was interjecting a correction to an incorrect assumption that my device was "unlockable and unrootable due to Verizon's Titanic of a bootloader. Remember, given enough time, energy, talent and resources, nothing is impossible.

This is the Galaxy S5 forum and I have no in depth knowledge of the Motorola Turbo Droid. Perhaps a simple link in your initial post would have sufficed. ;)

Right, back on topic.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

I think the best advice is, buy the phone you want, just DO NOT BUY the carrier branded/controlled one. I think the Galaxy S5 (and S6, etc.) are fine phones, IF you make sure not to buy the AT&T/Verizon/whatever controlled one.

And remember, AT&T, Verizon, etc. no longer subsidize (eat the cost) of phones. They spread the cost over your 12, 18, or 24 month Next/contract/whatever. You're gonna pay the cost of the phone one way or another, might as well pay it up front and get a phone YOU control. Put it on a credit card with a low rate. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams