08-08-2017 05:35 AM
218 ... 56789
tools
    Next question, what browser and what plugins are you running on your Windows PC?

And just to elaborate from above, Picasa is a full photo management, organizing and catalogging software. It lets you tag, straighten, retouch, and share photos with a high degree of permissions fine-tuning. It's a complete package and despite minimal updates over the last 6 years is still one of the most advanced photo management programs around. It holds its own with Apple iPhone. Google has been criminally negligent in maintaining Picasa and after all this time, they decided to stop supporting it.

In contrast, Google Photos is a dumb photo album website and nothing else. It is not in any way, shape, or form a replacement for Picasa. Google has replaced a Maserati with a Unicycle.
    The laptop has Internet Explorer and Firefox. Both produce the same error.
    I agree with your assessment about Picasa. Here's the problem. The laptop lost its hard drive. Some programs were recovered, some were not. The photos from Picasa are still there but the program, because Google is no longer supporting it, is no longer downloadable. If I could restore Picasa, I'd stick with it. I use Google Photos on the smartphone. I was hoping to standardize the process between the laptop and smartphone, to better share the photos. Again, thanks for the help.

Samsung Galaxy S5 - Verizon Lollipop 5.0
    03-31-2016 09:27 AM
    I'm trying to import Picasa Photos into Google Photos. How do I associate the Picasa Photos with a Google account so the conversion takes place. I want to share the photos on my smartphone. Suggestions please.

03-31-2016 11:19 AM
    I think Picasa photos should already be associated with Google Photos. The Picasa symbol usually means the photo is synced from your Google Photos library. If you go to photos.google.com on your computer browser, do you see those photos? If so, then you don't need to do anything.
    03-31-2016 12:49 PM
    Thanks. All I see are the photos on my smartphone. I can't seem to get Google Photos installed on my wife's laptop. The downloader for Windows 7 on the laptop will not work. Somehow I must associate the Picasa Photos on the laptop, to an account on the laptop so that Google Photos will see them.

03-31-2016 01:20 PM
    03-31-2016 04:27 PM
    So if you go to photos.google.com on your computer browser, you only see photos that were backed up from your phone? Do you know where the Picasa photos are saved? Could they be saved to a different Google account that's also synced to the phone (like your wife's account)?
    03-31-2016 05:41 PM
    So if you go to photos.google.com on your computer browser, you only see photos that were backed up from your phone? Do you know where the Picasa photos are saved? Could they be saved to a different Google account that's also synced to the phone (like your wife's account)?
    How do I tell which Google account the Picasa Photos are synced with. You are on the right track. I appreciate it.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon.
    03-31-2016 07:02 PM
    You should be able to tell on the Google Photos website on your computer browser, by first logging into your Google account and seeing if those photos are there, and then logging into your wife's account.
    04-01-2016 01:29 AM
    You should be able to tell on the Google Photos website on your computer browser, by first logging into your Google account and seeing if those photos are there, and then logging into your wife's account.
    I'm still confused. My wife's laptop has been rebuilt. She's never had to log on to a Google account, although she does have one. She's been using Picasa and never had to login to a Google account. I don't have the program Picasa and Google has removed it since they have stopped supporting it. She uses Google all the time, but she doesn't log in specifically to one account. She's a techniphobik and gets all nervous and jerky when asked to do something new to her. Please indulge me and talk me through it. As usual, you're a Godsend. Thanks.

04-01-2016 05:37 AM
    You've got two different threads going on this:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...le-photos.html

Picasa is a fully desktop photo manager/organizer. It is the functional equivalent of iPhoto. Google Photos is a simplistic web viewer. It is the functional equivalent of Instagram or Imgur.

You can download Picasa here:
    Download Picasa 3.9.10.4 for Windows - OldVersion.com

To login to a specific Google account in Picasa and start uploading albums to it, click on "Sign in with Google Account" in the upper right corner of the Picasa window. If you rebuilt your wife's laptop, I hope you backed up not only all her photos in their various locations but the Picasa "work" folder where all the changes and data are stored.
    B. Diddy, tube517 and ironass like this.
    04-01-2016 02:21 PM
    Thanks to Feldon for that clarification! Part of the confusion is that Google acquired Picasa many years ago, and has essentially folded the old Picasaweb site into Google Photo. The standalone Picasa program, as Feldon pointed out, is different from the web-based Picasaweb galleries (which have been turned into the Google Photos website).

I'm afraid I've lost track a bit of what you're trying to accomplish. Where are the Picasa photos that you're trying to get into your Google Photos web library? Are they locally stored on your wife's computer?
    04-01-2016 10:46 PM
    Thanks to Feldon for that clarification! Part of the confusion is that Google acquired Picasa many years ago, and has essentially folded the old Picasaweb site into Google Photo. The standalone Picasa program, as Feldon pointed out, is different from the web-based Picasaweb galleries (which have been turned into the Google Photos website).

I'm afraid I've lost track a bit of what you're trying to accomplish. Where are the Picasa photos that you're trying to get into your Google Photos web library? Are they locally stored on your wife's computer?
    Yes. I'm sorry I haven't been clear on the issue. Her laptop's hard drive had to be replaced. All existing programs, for the most part, have been restored. The program for Picasa is no longer available but she has over 200 photos from Picasa still there. When I follow all the instructions to install Google Photos, I briefly get the Google Photos splash screen, but it disappears rapidly, leaving me with no options. I feel that I have to sign on to a Google account to get it to work. It's easy in Android. How do I do it in Windows 7.
    I appreciate your help and patience with me. Thanks.

04-02-2016 05:41 AM
    I may be wrong but were the photos uploaded to the Picasa Web interface initially? Because those are the ones that get synced with Google Photos.

https://picasa.google.com/

I got confused with my own photos because I had some of them in the Picasa progaram but not in Picasa web/cloud. When Photos was introduced, I was trying to figure out why some photos were synced and some weren't.

As far as Google Photos in Windows,what are you installing? You should be able to go to any browser and access Photos from there.

https://photos.google.com/
    04-02-2016 06:22 AM
    I may be wrong but were the photos uploaded to the Picasa Web interface initially? Because those are the ones that get synced with Google Photos.

https://picasa.google.com/

I got confused with my own photos because I had some of them in the Picasa progaram but not in Picasa web/cloud. When Photos was introduced, I was trying to figure out why some photos were synced and some weren't.

As far as Google Photos in Windows,what are you installing? You should be able to go to any browser and access Photos from there.

https://photos.google.com/
    This Windows 7 laptop has never had any other photos other than Picasa. As my previous posts indicate, getting Google Photos set up on the laptop, is the problem. Thanks.

04-02-2016 06:35 AM
    That's not what I'm talking about.

You need to distinguish between the Google Photos uploader vs the Google Photos web page.

There is no Google Photos "app" for Windows. The only thing they have is the uploader in Windows.

https://photos.google.com/apps
    04-02-2016 08:09 AM
    That's not what I'm talking about.

You need to distinguish between the Google Photos uploader vs the Google Photos web page.

There is no Google Photos "app" for Windows. The only thing they have is the uploader in Windows.

https://photos.google.com/apps
    I understand that. The Uploader doesn't work and neither does the Google Photos Web page. Somehow I must be missing something. I just don't know what it is. Thanks for your continued support.

04-02-2016 09:19 AM
    This Windows 7 laptop has never had any other photos other than Picasa. As my previous posts indicate, getting Google Photos set up on the laptop, is the problem. Thanks.
    I'm not sure you're really grasping that there really is no "Google Photos" program. There's a crappy little uploader that you can pick folders off your hard drive and they're synced with photos.google.com. That's it.

Most Picasa users are planning to continue using it or switch to another photo manager like IrfanView.

Have you downloaded and installed Picasa and relocated her saved photos yet?
    tube517 likes this.
    04-02-2016 12:17 PM
    This photo may be illustrative:

tube517 likes this.
    04-02-2016 12:19 PM
    I'm not sure you're really grasping that there really is no "Google Photos" program. There's a crappy little uploader that you can pick folders off your hard drive and they're synced with photos.google.com. That's it.

Most Picasa users are planning to continue using it or switch to another photo manager like IrfanView.

Have you downloaded and installed Picasa and relocated her saved photos yet?
    Picasa is not providing the download since they have stopped supporting it. I did download an older version from the web, but I have not gotten it to work yet. Thanks.

04-02-2016 02:34 PM
    The "200 photos from Picasa" that you reference are simply jpg files on the hard drive somewhere--they're not specific to Picasa. If you want to upload them to Google Photos in the cloud and the uploader program isn't working, then you could go to the Google Photos website and click on the cloud upload icon to the right of the search bar. Then select the photos to upload.
    Feldon likes this.
    04-03-2016 12:42 AM
    Is there a way to change the date taken on a photo taken on Google Photos? Thanks.

04-11-2016 01:41 PM
    Is there a way to change the date taken on a photo taken on Google Photos? Thanks.

Are you talking about in the Gallery?
    If so go to settings in gallery
    More info.
    In top corner click on edit, then date.

Posted from Android Central
    04-11-2016 01:55 PM
    Are you talking about in the Gallery?
    If so go to settings in gallery
    More info.
    In top corner click on edit, then date.

Thanks. I followed your instructions but the edit mode won't let me change the date. Anything else I can try?

04-11-2016 02:24 PM
    Thanks. I followed your instructions but the edit mode won't let me change the date. Anything else I can try?

No help here. Not sure if you turned off auto in phone settings, then change date to date you wanted, not sure if it would help at all.
    But then you'd have to go back to setting and turn auto. Not sure if that would do what you want or not.

04-11-2016 02:43 PM
    You can do it on the web version of photos.google.com
    04-11-2016 04:48 PM
218 ... 56789