Google photos problem

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Picasa - Google Photos

Thanks to Feldon for that clarification! Part of the confusion is that Google acquired Picasa many years ago, and has essentially folded the old Picasaweb site into Google Photo. The standalone Picasa program, as Feldon pointed out, is different from the web-based Picasaweb galleries (which have been turned into the Google Photos website).

I'm afraid I've lost track a bit of what you're trying to accomplish. Where are the Picasa photos that you're trying to get into your Google Photos web library? Are they locally stored on your wife's computer?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Thanks to Feldon for that clarification! Part of the confusion is that Google acquired Picasa many years ago, and has essentially folded the old Picasaweb site into Google Photo. The standalone Picasa program, as Feldon pointed out, is different from the web-based Picasaweb galleries (which have been turned into the Google Photos website).

I'm afraid I've lost track a bit of what you're trying to accomplish. Where are the Picasa photos that you're trying to get into your Google Photos web library? Are they locally stored on your wife's computer?

Yes. I'm sorry I haven't been clear on the issue. Her laptop's hard drive had to be replaced. All existing programs, for the most part, have been restored. The program for Picasa is no longer available but she has over 200 photos from Picasa still there. When I follow all the instructions to install Google Photos, I briefly get the Google Photos splash screen, but it disappears rapidly, leaving me with no options. I feel that I have to sign on to a Google account to get it to work. It's easy in Android. How do I do it in Windows 7.
I appreciate your help and patience with me. Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I may be wrong but were the photos uploaded to the Picasa Web interface initially? Because those are the ones that get synced with Google Photos.

https://picasa.google.com/

I got confused with my own photos because I had some of them in the Picasa progaram but not in Picasa web/cloud. When Photos was introduced, I was trying to figure out why some photos were synced and some weren't.

As far as Google Photos in Windows,what are you installing? You should be able to go to any browser and access Photos from there.

https://photos.google.com/

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I may be wrong but were the photos uploaded to the Picasa Web interface initially? Because those are the ones that get synced with Google Photos.

https://picasa.google.com/

I got confused with my own photos because I had some of them in the Picasa progaram but not in Picasa web/cloud. When Photos was introduced, I was trying to figure out why some photos were synced and some weren't.

As far as Google Photos in Windows,what are you installing? You should be able to go to any browser and access Photos from there.

https://photos.google.com/

This Windows 7 laptop has never had any other photos other than Picasa. As my previous posts indicate, getting Google Photos set up on the laptop, is the problem. Thanks.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

That's not what I'm talking about.

You need to distinguish between the Google Photos uploader vs the Google Photos web page.

There is no Google Photos "app" for Windows. The only thing they have is the uploader in Windows.

https://photos.google.com/apps

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

That's not what I'm talking about.

You need to distinguish between the Google Photos uploader vs the Google Photos web page.

There is no Google Photos "app" for Windows. The only thing they have is the uploader in Windows.

https://photos.google.com/apps

I understand that. The Uploader doesn't work and neither does the Google Photos Web page. Somehow I must be missing something. I just don't know what it is. Thanks for your continued support.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

This Windows 7 laptop has never had any other photos other than Picasa. As my previous posts indicate, getting Google Photos set up on the laptop, is the problem. Thanks.
I'm not sure you're really grasping that there really is no "Google Photos" program. There's a crappy little uploader that you can pick folders off your hard drive and they're synced with photos.google.com. That's it.

Most Picasa users are planning to continue using it or switch to another photo manager like IrfanView.

Have you downloaded and installed Picasa and relocated her saved photos yet?

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

This photo may be illustrative:

Picasa_vs_Google_Photos.jpg

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure you're really grasping that there really is no "Google Photos" program. There's a crappy little uploader that you can pick folders off your hard drive and they're synced with photos.google.com. That's it.

Most Picasa users are planning to continue using it or switch to another photo manager like IrfanView.

Have you downloaded and installed Picasa and relocated her saved photos yet?

Picasa is not providing the download since they have stopped supporting it. I did download an older version from the web, but I have not gotten it to work yet. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The "200 photos from Picasa" that you reference are simply jpg files on the hard drive somewhere--they're not specific to Picasa. If you want to upload them to Google Photos in the cloud and the uploader program isn't working, then you could go to the Google Photos website and click on the cloud upload icon to the right of the search bar. Then select the photos to upload.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Date photo was taken

Is there a way to change the date taken on a photo taken on Google Photos? Thanks.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Date photo was taken

Is there a way to change the date taken on a photo taken on Google Photos? Thanks.

Are you talking about in the Gallery?
If so go to settings in gallery
More info.
In top corner click on edit, then date.

Posted from Android Central

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Are you talking about in the Gallery?
If so go to settings in gallery
More info.
In top corner click on edit, then date.

Thanks. I followed your instructions but the edit mode won't let me change the date. Anything else I can try?

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I followed your instructions but the edit mode won't let me change the date. Anything else I can try?

No help here. Not sure if you turned off auto in phone settings, then change date to date you wanted, not sure if it would help at all.
But then you'd have to go back to setting and turn auto. Not sure if that would do what you want or not.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

If you open the photo in photos.google.com, click on the "INFO" button (the little "i" in a circle) - you will see the date and time with a little pencil beside it. Click the pencil and you can edit the date and timestamp.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

If you open the photo in photos.google.com, click on the "INFO" button (the little "i" in a circle) - you will see the date and time with a little pencil beside it. Click the pencil and you can edit the date and timestamp.

It still doesn't work. What am I missing?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

As other said, you can only do it on the web version. Photo --> click info icon --> Date

Thanks. I followed everyone's advice. I logged on to the website, loaded the photo, hit the info pencil icon and still can't edit the date. Anything else?