Google photos problem

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google photos not backing up

I must be brain dead but I still can't find a way to move the pictures in PHOTOS to the GALLERY.

Mario Samsung S5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google photos not backing up

The Gallery app doesn't store photos--it builds a database of locally stored photos, and usually also photos that are stored in your Google+ Photos album in the cloud (aka Picasa), and then displays them. So are you saying that there are photos that show up in your Photos app (the app that is part of Google+), but that aren't showing up in your Gallery app? My guess is that those photos are stored in your Google+ Photos album in the cloud, but for some reason the cloud album isn't syncing with your Gallery app.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Transfer pictures from PHOTOS to GALLERY.

How do you move pictures from PHOTOS To GALLERY? Please don't ask me why I want to do this.

Mario Samsung S5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transfer pictures from PHOTOS to GALLERY.

Have we discussed this before? It seems to be a familiar question ...

Where are the photos stored--locally, or in the cloud? If they're locally stored, they should automatically populate in the Gallery, as long as the directory where they're stored (or any parent directory) doesn't contain a ".nomedia" file. If the photos aren't appearing in Gallery, you might have to go to the App Manager, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Then open it again, and wait a few seconds while the database rebuilds. Are the photos there now?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

There is no options to turn off data In my settings. I did notice that sync in my Google accounts is turned off. How do I get sync turned back on? That may be my problem.

Mario Samsung S5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not talking about turning off data. I'm talking about going to Settings>App Manager, tapping on Gallery, and then tapping on the button that says "Clear Data."

For the sync issue, first make sure Auto Sync is on. This is most easily done by swiping down the Quick Settings and making sure the Sync button is on. Then go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and make sure everything that you want to sync is checked on.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've done all that. When I go to SETTINGS. APPLICATION . GALLERY, the accounts are not synced. Under the Accounts settings, they are synced. What am I missing here? I don't have an option to clear the cache.

Mario Samsung S5 Verizon version

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

There are no sync settings in Settings>App Manager>Gallery. That's where you should see the App Info page, showing the Clear Data and Clear Cache buttons. On the S5, another way to get there is to tap the Apps icon to open your App Drawer, then long-press the Gallery app and drag it to the App Info area at the top of the screen. See the example below (although the image I found on the web was for the Memo app).

disable app via app info icon in apps menu in Galaxy S5.jpg

Sorry if the steps I gave were not entirely correct for the S5--I wish different manufacturers wouldn't change system menus so much, compared to vanilla Android.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I've taken all the steps you have suggested and the PHOTOS are still in the PHOTOS folder and the photos are still in the GALLERY.They are still separate. I read that Android 5.0 will consolidate these folders. I'll wait for the upgrade to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for your help.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've taken all the steps you have suggested and the PHOTOS are still in the PHOTOS folder and the photos are still in the GALLERY.They are still separate. I read that Android 5.0 will consolidate these folders. I'll wait for the upgrade to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for your help.

But the pics in the PHOTOS should already be consolidated with the gallery unless you cut off the syncing. I'm not understanding how you have different pics in the gallery and photos.

Posted via the Android Central App

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I don't know what the problem is with photos in both in the gallery and in photos, but it may be in the syncing. How do i sync the files. Thanks for your help again

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Move photos

How do I move pictures from the PHOTOS Folder to the GALLERY folder.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Move photos

There's no Gallery folder. Gallery shows all the pictures that Media Scanner detects on the phone. If you want Gallery folder, create one, then move your pictures to it. Gallery will still show all pictures on the phone that Media Scanner finds. (That's just how Android works - there's nothing you can do about it except put a file named .nomedia [any or no content - it's the name that does it] into any folder you don't want detected.)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Move photos

There's no Gallery folder. Gallery shows all the pictures that Media Scanner detects on the phone. If you want Gallery folder, create one, then move your pictures to it. Gallery will still show all pictures on the phone that Media Scanner finds. (That's just how Android works - there's nothing you can do about it except put a file named .nomedia [any or no content - it's the name that does it] into any folder you don't want detected.)

I used a file manager to look for the folder that stores PHOTOS but I can't find it. Why doesn't the scan operation find the photographs stored in the PHOTOS Folder and move them to the GALLERY.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Move photos from PHOTOS To GALLERY

How do I move pictures from the PHOTOS Folder to the GALLERY folder.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Move photos from PHOTOS To GALLERY

You keep asking this and I don't think there is a way to do what you want to do.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Move photos from PHOTOS To GALLERY

I was hoping someone will reply with a workaround. When I try to use the share command, it does not include the gallery. I thought maybe if we drop them in Dropbox and then from dropbox to the gallery, it would work. I guess not. Thanks for your help and your patience