Google photos problem

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google photos & Picasa

Picasa has about 50x the functionality of Google Photos. If you want to be able to manage photos on your laptop, install Picasa there.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Picasa has about 50x the functionality of Google Photos. If you want to be able to manage photos on your laptop, install Picasa there.

That's interesting. I used Picasa when I first got the laptop, but didn't do much with photos, I've been using Google Photos for a while now and thought it was very good at what I wanted to do.
Since I have the smartphone and the wife uses the laptop, I could hold her hand if we were both using the same program. Her digital camera is not working, so she uses my smartphone to take photos, and then I email them for her to edit in Picasa. I was just trying to simplify the process. Thanks for listening to my tale of work.

Smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S5, Lollipop 5.0, Verizon network

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, Google Photos does still need some work. One feature missing from Google Photos is the ability to get a link for inserting images into forum/blog posts. So I still use Picasaweb to retrieve those links.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

There's a long history of Google having two solutions to everything, even though one unified product would serve customers much better:
Google’s product strategy: Make two of everything | Ars Technica

Even though the Picasa web interface is extremely dated, it STILL has core functionality that is missing from the Google Photos interface. It's just astonishing that they won't either update Picasa or fill out the feature set of Google Photos. Picasa is still one of the best photo managers available for PC.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Idiots at Google. :(

As info, here is the Picasa on PC.

picasa3.9-linux-share-google-plus.png

It is a full photo management and catalogging and tagging environment with facial recognition, movie maker functionality (slideshows with music and transitions timed to the music), nearly 100 very nice photo filters, automatic photo straightening, etc. And the best part is, it doesn't mess up your folder structure on your hard drive. It only stores copies of images you have retouched in its local storage. In short, it makes iPhoto look like a toy.

Here is a screenshot of Google Photos on PC:

choose-backup-sources.jpg

I'm not kidding. That's the entire thing.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

So if you want to use it, go and download it RIGHT NOW and store the install away somewhere safe. After March 15, you will no longer be able to download it. I have just updated mine (hadn't used it in a while but I should go back to it), and I've uploaded a copy of the install to Google Drive (oh, the irony) for safekeeping.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

And how long til they break it so it cannot access the servers to upload to Google Plus (I almost wrote that with a straight face).

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Emailed photo from Picasa

A friend emailed me a file that is a photo. It's NOT an attachment, just part of the email. When I click on the photo, nothing happens. Usually, I have the share command to transfer the photo to google photos. I'm using MYMAIL for my email. How can I get the photo into Google Photos? Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Emailed photo from Picasa

If it's not an attachment, it's not a file. Have him send it as an attachment.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Emailed photo from Picasa

OK. If that's the only way to get the photo, I'll ask him to send it as an attachment. Thanks.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Captions on Google Photos

I noticed that you can now place captions on Google Photos. I can't find the process in which to do this. I'm aware that you can use PRONTO. I'd rather use the native Google Photos to add captions. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
When I receive email via Outlook, the photo is attached, but only shows an icon that I must click to see the photos. I think there is a setting that shows the photos already open. Where is it? I'm running Windows 7. Thanks.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Windows 7 - Google Photos

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with Google Photos running well. My wife has a Windows 7 laptop. She was running Picasa but now wants to run Google Photos. We can't get Google Photos installed on the laptop in spite of following the installation instructions. What am I doing wrong. Help. Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 - Verizon Lollipop 5.0

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Windows 7 - Google Photos

Please be aware that Google Photos is not a "real" program that will run on Windows. The installer for "Google Photos" is an UPLOADER only. This means that it will watch a particular folder (or if you insert an SD Card from a digital camera) and will automatically upload THOSE photos to Google Photos.

Google Photos is a purely WEB BASED program now. Go to the site

photos.google.com

Log in, and you will see all your photos. From there, you can edit your pics and add them to collections/albums, share them, etc....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante