Why won't my Galaxy S5 work after the Lollipop upgrade?

deboil

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S5 will not work after lollipop upgrade

Hi my S5 did the lollipop upgrade just over a week ago and there have been nothing but issues since. I did a full factory reset and the phone worked fine for 3 days than I powered it down as I was at a bridge game and when I turned it back on it was worse than ever. Did another factory reset and now it won't load any apps at all. It will sometimes read my SD card and at other times it won't. Short of replacing the phone does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with this update and how did it take a phone I loved and turn it into a useless hunk of electronic junk. By the way my carrier is Verizon and they are less then helpful.....

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 will not work after lollipop upgrade

Hi my S5 did the lollipop upgrade just over a week ago and there have been nothing but issues since. I did a full factory reset and the phone worked fine for 3 days than I powered it down as I was at a bridge game and when I turned it back on it was worse than ever. Did another factory reset and now it won't load any apps at all. It will sometimes read my SD card and at other times it won't. Short of replacing the phone does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with this update and how did it take a phone I loved and turn it into a useless hunk of electronic junk. By the way my carrier is Verizon and they are less then helpful.....

Hello and welcome to Android Central deboil!

I am afraid that Verizon's, "clone", Lollipop firmware is less than satisfactory and responsible for the vast majority of complaints considering it is only 1 of 40 Galaxy S5 models by 1 carrier in 1 country. See #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

I would strongly suggest doing a FULL WIPE + FACTORY DATA RESET as per #2.3, #2.4 and #2.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Bring it to your carrier and ask them to please fix what their update broke. It's their liability.

deboil

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site

I did the full wipe + factory data reset. That was how I got 3 days of good function but once I turned it off not even a new full wipe + factory data reset has worked. Have tried everything including removing some known trouble apps, starting up in safe mode.... it just seems like the phone has lost it's will to live.

deboil

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site

They have tried to get it running for me and gave up. They claim they have no idea why it won't work and they can't figure it out either. Sadly my 1 year warranty expired exactly one day after they forced this update on me the sly buggers. Verizon is too big to give a dang for them it's a simple you need a new phone let me show you what we have as they walk you to the display walls :(

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I did the full wipe + factory data reset. That was how I got 3 days of good function but once I turned it off not even a new full wipe + factory data reset has worked. Have tried everything including removing some known trouble apps, starting up in safe mode.... it just seems like the phone has lost it's will to live.

If after a Full Wipe + FDR your phone was functioning normally, prior to re-installing apps, settings or installing the SD card, it would point to a problem with the apps, settings or SD card.

deboil

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site

I have a model SM-G900V which is a verizon "clone", heaven help me..... one year left on the contract too.......

deboil

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site

Put the SD card in my computer and it reads just fine. The phone worked fine with all the apps installed after my first wipe and reset this is what is so strange. If it worked once why won't it work this time with or without apps?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I have a model SM-G900V which is a verizon "clone", heaven help me..... one year left on the contract too.......

It is normally at this point that I say to other S5 owners that things could be worse... you could be on Verizon! ;)

See, here.