default application location

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I have recently been getting errors lately saying Application cannot be installed in the default install location when trying to update apps. I've had them before but have been able to download and update apps later but now it is not updating. I have tried downloading new apps and no luck either. I think i have an SD card installed. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? And how to fix it?

And while updating Google Maps, I got another message saying "insufficient storage available" yet I have 9.92 GB of space available. Any clues as to what's causing that? Thanks,

Posted via the Android Central App

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
settings->storage This will tell you the status of your internal (phone) and your SD card storage (if you have one).
Would be interesting to see a screenshot.

One of the things that freed up a lot of space for me was tapping the cache button (from that storage screen in settings) and clearing that. I freed up like 2+ GB of space from my internal storage. The only negative was it wiped some WAZE data. I actually uninstalled that and now use Google Maps which doesn't seem to store as much cached data.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
To free up some storage space, try this. Open the phone app and dial *#9900#. Press the bar marked "delete dumpstate /logcat". Press "ok". Scroll down to exit.
Hope this helps. 😎

Yea, heavy and a bottle of bread.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
That command dumps log files. It can create some space, but may be temporary as the logs rebuild.

Basically, you are out of space to install apps on your device.

Install this simple little app called Storage Truth. It's very small and will install in very limited space. It will tell you how much space you actually have left for installing apps:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=sa.storagetruth&token=UFU7sgJU

To make space you can:

Delete texts or emails. If you really have lots saved on the phone, this can help.
Delete or move photos, videos, documents, etc.
Uninstall app updates.
Uninstall apps.
Clear cache files. However, this will only make space temporarily as cache files will rebuild over time. Also, while clearing cache files won't hurt anything, they're there to speed up operation and should be left alone.

If you can't move stuff to a SD card, move them to your computer or cloud storage.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Best way to move and copy/paste files is install a file manager such as FX File Explorer, Astro or X-Plore.

I don't think anyone mentioned iCloud. But anyone with a Google account has 15GB free space on Google Drive. Install the Google Drive app.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs