Google calendar

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: which calendar for smartphone

The problem with other calendar apps is that they may not sync to something in the cloud, which means all of your important appointments are stored only on your phone. If the phone glitches, then you've lost all of that data.

For me, when I think I've lost an event, it's usually because I entered it into the wrong calendar on my account. I have several calendars on the same account, and occasionally I'll accidentally enter a work event on my personal calendar, or vice-versa. The user always has to carefully check which calendar the event is being added to.

Another frequent misstep is when people add an event using their phone--the event might default to the "Phone account" calendar, which is only locally saved, and doesn't sync to Google. So if you add that event to the Phone calendar, you'll never see it in your Google Calendar anywhere else (like on your computer browser).

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 SMARTPHONE. When I turned on the phone this morning, most of my events, but not all, were gone. A restore from backup was no help. When I uninstalled the app, and then reinstalled, they all returned.
I believe that the calendar app that was pre-installed may be the problem. I used that app to enter events before 1/1/1970. Google calendar doesn't permit events older than 1/1/1970. That was the only thing I did differently. Could that be the problem? Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon network

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

I'm not sure what was pre-installed on your phone. But the Samsung Calendar app, while syncing fine with Google Calendar, also has the "My Calendar" choice, which puts event internally on the device that do not sync. Whether it's the date or something else, the difference between the cloud and the internal device memory seems to be the source of your problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I believe that the calendar app that was pre-installed may be the problem. I used that app to enter events before 1/1/1970. Google calendar doesn't permit events older than 1/1/1970. That was the only thing I did differently. Could that be the problem? Thanks.

It's still important to know which calendar account you entered those events into. If you're using the Samsung Calendar or S Planner, were those events saving to the local Phone account, or your Samsung account, or your Google account?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure what was pre-installed on your phone. But the Samsung Calendar app, while syncing fine with Google Calendar, also has the "My Calendar" choice, which puts event internally on the device that do not sync. Whether it's the date or something else, the difference between the cloud and the internal device memory seems to be the source of your problem.

Just checked the advice on your post. On the Samsung Calendar, all of the Calendars were checked. When I unchecked them, all of Google calendar events were gone. I rechecked them in Samsung Calendar, and they all returned to Google calendar. I really don't understand why. I guess I'll have to live with the problem. Thanks for helping me figure out what's going on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Are you saying that when you unchecked all of the calendars in the Samsung Calendar app, that all of the Google Calendars that are syncing with the Samsung Calendar app disappeared in the Samsung app, or in the Google Calendar app?

It makes sense for the Google Calendars to disappear in the Samsung Calendar app, because by unchecking them, you're either choosing not to display them, or not to sync them (which also won't display them).

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

The cleanest way to do this is to check Google Calendar and uncheck My Calendar, or whatever they call the internal device calendar. Make all new entries in Google Calendar. This way your calendar stays synced and backed up in the cloud. You can use, day to day, either the Google Calendar app or the Samsung Calendar, but in my scenario, the Samsung Calendar functions simply as an interface for the Google Calendar.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The cleanest way to do this is to check Google Calendar and uncheck My Calendar, or whatever they call the internal device calendar. Make all new entries in Google Calendar. This way your calendar stays synced and backed up in the cloud. You can use, day to day, either the Google Calendar app or the Samsung Calendar, but in my scenario, the Samsung Calendar functions simply as an interface for the Google Calendar.

Yesssssssss:D

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Yesssssssss:D

All of my events were entered into the Google Calendar. The only use of the Samsung Calendar was because someone remarked that Samsung calendar would accept events prior to January 1st 1970. I was interested in entering some events from that era. It was when I started entering that data when I began to have the problem with losing events on Google Calendar. I've decided to leave things as they are. Thanks for all your help and advice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I just tried adding an event on 9/15/1940 on my Google Calendar app on my Zenfone 2, and had no problem with it. When I searched for it on Google Calendar on my Chromebook, it showed up. What happens when you try?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Wait wait, Doc ... are you telling me you built a time machine ... out of a Galaxy S5? Whoa, this is heavy. :p

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I just tried adding an event on 9/15/1940 on my Google Calendar app on my Zenfone 2, and had no problem with it. When I searched for it on Google Calendar on my Chromebook, it showed up. What happens when you try?

There have been many quotes and posts about this issue. I know that long threads have a tendency to have previously mentioned problems not really read or just ignored.
Again, here's my problem. Google Calendar was working flawlessly for over a year. I was complaining about the fact that I couldn't enter events from the past (1/1/1970). It was suggested that I use the Samsung Calendar that was pre-installed on the phone. I started entering those old events, and the disappearing of events started. Even some events entered on Google Calendar disappeared during that time. As a result, I'm not using Samsung calendar at all. I hope this answers some of your questions, and I do want to thank you for your time and effort. Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Oh sorry, I misunderstood the issue. I wish I had a more definite answer for you.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Oh sorry, I misunderstood the issue. I wish I had a more definite answer for you.

Thanks for your understanding and support on this issue. It has been a sore spot with me. I know that if you have a problem with the issue and are out of ideas, I'm going to give up. Thanks again for your help.

PrinceCorwin

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: #todo in Google Calendar

How do I use the new #todo list in Google Calendar, or is it only for the web version? I'm using a smartphone. Thanks.

I can't get it to work. Adding #todo to events has no effect for me except to show it as part of the title

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
How do you have the TODO list removed from Google Calendar permanently? I have no use for it. Thanks.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Birthdays in Google Calendar

I've posted this problem earlier. My Birthdays in my Contacts, do not carry over to Google Calendar. I don't have access to a laptop to go on the Web, to use the web version of Google calendar. All advice has mentioned Gmail. I don't use Gmail for email. It's not loaded as an app, but I used to use it. Is that the reason why contact birthdays don't show on Google Calendar? I have added birthdays as a recurring event, but it annoys me that it doesn't work. Thanks for your previous help.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Birthdays in Google Calendar

That didn't work either, but thanks anyway.

dkelly701

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Birthdays in Google Calendar

You might not want to do this, but I use another app called Birthday Calendar Adaptor to insert birthdays into my gmail calendar. I especially wanted this because it shows how old they are. You install it and then go to gmail calendar settings, choose calendars and the select Birthday Calendar Adaptor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca