Galaxy S5 (Sprint) running rooted stock Kitkat, KNOX flag is tripped, afraid to upgrade! What should I do?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S5 (Sprint) running rooted stock Kitkat, KNOX flag is tripped, afraid to upgrade!

I really wasn't that eager to bother with Lollipop, since I've been happy with KitKat and wanted to keep my phone rooted. But as far as I can tell there's no way to protect myself against Stagefright and still keep the ability to exchange texts, although I've tried Blocker, an apps that is supposed to let you keep a whitelist of numbers you will accept texts from. I was able to go through the motions using the app, but it had no effect.) A different suggestion, given by monsieurms in another thread on here, is to disable automatic downloading of MMS messages. But on attempting to follow the steps, I find that there is no option to do this in settings. So at present I'm left with only two choices--either block incoming messages or leave myself open to Stagefright.

Since this vulnerability is supposed to have been fixed in Lollipop, I now think it might be worth giving up root for. Besides, I use the camera a good deal and I understand that Android 5.0+ has introduced significant improvements in low-light picture quality. But here's the rub: I don't know how to get there from where I am? I know that I won't see the OTA update because the phone is altered, and neither does it appear when I run Kies 3. I assume this is due to the fact that the KNOX flag is tripped, and from looking around on the internet it seems this is all but burned into the system and irreversible.

So, what will happen now if I try to revert to stock using Kies 3? Will I hard brick my phone? Or will the reversion itself be successful but with the tripped KNOX indicator still preventing me to do the upgrade? I don't mind the temporary inconvenience of losing my data and passwords, if I can get to the upgrade in the end. But if I can't, then there's no way I want to bother with this.

My device's current status is as follows:

Device status: Custom

SW Version: G900PVPU1ANK4
HW Version: G900P.04
Model number: SM-g900p
Android Version: 4.4.4
Basband Version: (same as SW Version)

Kernel Version: 3.4.0-3182645 dpi@SWDD3002 #1
Sat Nov 8 11:50:16 KST 2014

Build number: KTU84P.<sw version number as above>
SE for Android Status: Enforcing SEPF_SM-GN900P_4.4.4_0034
Fri Dec 05 14:36:30 2014

Security SW Version: MDF v1.0 Release 3
VPN v1.4 Release 1

It goes without saying that any help would be appreciated tremendously.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same exact but instead of giving up my root, in addition to disabling auto retrieve MMS, I've also disabled all things stagefright via the build prop app, an idea I've gotten from the xda developer forums.

I've had zero problems so far, so this may be a route you can go.

You can follow the development at

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/android-mms-stagefright-exploit-t3166457

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• .screenshotEdits.jpg
    .screenshotEdits.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 (Sprint) running rooted stock Kitkat, KNOX flag is tripped, afraid to upgrade!

I really wasn't that eager to bother with Lollipop, since I've been happy with KitKat and wanted to keep my phone rooted. But as far as I can tell there's no way to protect myself against Stagefright and still keep the ability to exchange texts, although I've tried Blocker, an apps that is supposed to let you keep a whitelist of numbers you will accept texts from. I was able to go through the motions using the app, but it had no effect.) A different suggestion, given by monsieurms in another thread on here, is to disable automatic downloading of MMS messages. But on attempting to follow the steps, I find that there is no option to do this in settings. So at present I'm left with only two choices--either block incoming messages or leave myself open to Stagefright.

Since this vulnerability is supposed to have been fixed in Lollipop, I now think it might be worth giving up root for. Besides, I use the camera a good deal and I understand that Android 5.0+ has introduced significant improvements in low-light picture quality. But here's the rub: I don't know how to get there from where I am? I know that I won't see the OTA update because the phone is altered, and neither does it appear when I run Kies 3. I assume this is due to the fact that the KNOX flag is tripped, and from looking around on the internet it seems this is all but burned into the system and irreversible.

So, what will happen now if I try to revert to stock using Kies 3? Will I hard brick my phone? Or will the reversion itself be successful but with the tripped KNOX indicator still preventing me to do the upgrade? I don't mind the temporary inconvenience of losing my data and passwords, if I can get to the upgrade in the end. But if I can't, then there's no way I want to bother with this.

My device's current status is as follows:

Device status: Custom

SW Version: G900PVPU1ANK4
HW Version: G900P.04
Model number: SM-g900p
Android Version: 4.4.4
Basband Version: (same as SW Version)

Kernel Version: 3.4.0-3182645 dpi@SWDD3002 #1
Sat Nov 8 11:50:16 KST 2014

Build number: KTU84P.<sw version number as above>
SE for Android Status: Enforcing SEPF_SM-GN900P_4.4.4_0034
Fri Dec 05 14:36:30 2014

Security SW Version: MDF v1.0 Release 3
VPN v1.4 Release 1

It goes without saying that any help would be appreciated tremendously.

OK... lets dispel a few misconceptions...

1. Stagefright is a, "potential", and, "theoretical", MMS exploit that was discovered in the labs of a security company and not one Android user has been affected by its use in the wild. Google and phone manufacturers are rolling out patches for this as I type. If you have not received an update and are at all concerned, see item #3, below.

2. The Knox security flag being tripped, (0x1), does not in any way whatsoever affect your ability to update your phone. Rooting and using a custom recovery, on the other hand, does. See, #1.10 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

3. If you wish to stay on your present firmware, you can replace the stock Messaging app with Textra SMS, free from the Play Store, which has enabled protection from Stagefright.

4. If you wish to update you can just download the latest firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product code and flash it via a PC suite called Odin3 as per #1.11 of the aforementioned Dummies Guide. You will need to re-root after this as the stock firmware contains a stock, un-rooted, kernel.

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 (Sprint) running rooted stock Kitkat, KNOX flag is tripped, afraid to upgrade!

OK... lets dispel a few misconceptions...

1. Stagefright is a, "potential", and, "theoretical", MMS exploit that was discovered in the labs of a security company and not one Android user has been affected by its use in the wild. Google and phone manufacturers are rolling out patches for this as I type. If you have not received an update and are at all concerned, see item #3, below.

2. The Knox security flag being tripped, (0x1), does not in any way whatsoever affect your ability to update your phone. Rooting and using a custom recovery, on the other hand, does. See, #1.10 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

3. If you wish to stay on your present firmware, you can replace the stock Messaging app with Textra SMS, free from the Play Store, which has enabled protection from Stagefright.

4. If you wish to update you can just download the latest firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product code and flash it via a PC suite called Odin3 as per #1.11 of the aforementioned Dummies Guide. You will need to re-root after this as the stock firmware contains a stock, un-rooted, kernel.
So it seems we can root 5.0 now? I ought to do a better job keeping up with recent developments; when I don't it usually means I've been happy with how my phone's been working.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Knox being tripped doesnt affect updating, rooting,or installing roms.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

But as a somewhat informed and competent Android user, what is there besides rooting, installing a custom recovery, or flashing a custom ROM that would trip the flag in the first place?

Although I did root the phone and install a custom recovery, I've never installed a custom ROM. Of course, I realize that an ODIN-PC flashing event is probably tantamount to flashing a custom ROM, regardless.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

But as a somewhat informed and competent Android user, what is there besides rooting, installing a custom recovery, or flashing a custom ROM that would trip the flag in the first place?

Although I did root the phone and install a custom recovery, I've never installed a custom ROM. Of course, I realize that an ODIN-PC flashing event is probably tantamount to flashing a custom ROM, regardless.

The custom recovery you flashed would definitely have tripped the Knox Security flag.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

Does changing stagefright items in build prop actually do anything?

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

In what respect?

Since I'm rooted in kit kat, probably won't be receiving the update from my carrier to address the stagefright scare, would this be enough?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Since I'm rooted in kit kat, probably won't be receiving the update from my carrier to address the stagefright scare, would this be enough?

Oh, right! Sorry AXEL314! I thought you might have meant about tripping Knox.

The fact of the matter is that since Stagefright has not been seen in the wild, I cannot say whether the Build prop alterations that you have made will be effective in combating it.

My current firmware has not received the Stagefright update/patch, yet and I have therefore taken the precaution of using Textra SMS as it already has the Stagefright update.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

If you're on Sprint then you're configuration and mine are very similar, if not exactly the same.

Ironass: Love the handle!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995