How can I remove icons for uninstalled apps?

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Removing icons for uninstalled apps

After my recent SD card swap, I've run into a problem. I have a few apps that show as not installed, and are no longer on offer at the play store. Unfortunately, the icons for these apps still appear in my app drawer. If I hold one and try do delete it, I'm told that system apps cannot be deleted. Trust me, Cookie Crush is not a system app.

Any tips for getting rid of these icons and cleaning up the app drawer?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Removing icons for uninstalled apps

Might be worth wiping the cache partition in case there is any detritus from previous firmware that is causing the issue.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I agree with ironass. Also you could try clearing cache for Touchwiz in your application manager.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm wondering if these artifacts are launcher related. I'm going to try switching back to TouchWiz and see if I have better luck there. I'm loathe to wipe caches because I hate redoing settings.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I'm wondering if these artifacts are launcher related. I'm going to try switching back to TouchWiz and see if I have better luck there. I'm loathe to wipe caches because I hate redoing settings.

Are you using a custom launcher? That problem seems related to your launcher.

Don't worry about clearing cache or wiping the cache partition, it won't touch your personal information or any change you made in the settings. It will just clear temporary files and force the system to rebuild them again.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

Ok, switched back go TouchWiz and none of those icons are there, so it's launcher related. I cleared the launcher's settings and those old icons are gone. So it looks like I just have to redo my home screen. A pain, but less of a pain than it could be.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Glad you managed to fix it. Just one thing. It seems that you cleared data for your launcher. That could be the reason why you lost your setup. Next time try first just clearing cache and reboot your phone. Most times it's enough to fix this kind of problem and your launcher setup will be kept untouched.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

Yep I probably could have gone about this better, and in more ways than one.

I originally did this swap with no problems, and I did it by moving all the apps that were on my SD card to my device memory, copying the contents of my old card to my new one, then moving all the apps back to the card once it was back in the phone. But then I decided to leave a review for the card I bought on Amazon, since it had zero reviews, but since there are so many fake Sandisk cards going around, I decided to test it first so I could list the specs of the card in my review to make it more useful for others.

This second time is when I forgot to move the apps back to the phone, so when I reformatted the card after the test and copied my files back, it didn't quite work out. Lesson learned! At least I figured out that the card is legit from a capacity and transfer rate perspective.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech