Samsung Galaxy S5 reboot issue

MuDi10

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi All

I am new to android central and will be looking for some assistance from this great forum.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that has started to experience some issues. The phone used to work fine and all of a sudden is having random reboot issues. The phone will usually freeze at random times then reboot itself and gets stuck in the Samsung logo once trying to come back on, it also usually starts crashing apps then reboots and gets stuck on the Samsung logo. It happens randomly sometimes when i don't use the phone for a day and just let it sit there it doesn't reboot, then maybe i will use it for a few minutes doing random things it will reboot and get stuck.

I have done a lot of research and tried numerous fixes with no success and I am hoping someone out there has found a solution to this problem.

What i have tried?

-Update all apps to and software to the latest
-Wipe cache from recovery mode
-Factory reset the phone
-Downgrade from lollipop to kitkat using official firmwares
-Happens in safe mode

Not sure what else to try.

Details
Model: SM-G900I
Previous baseband: g900idvu1bod2
Previous firmware: Lolipop 5.0
Current baseband: g900idvu1anj1
Current firmware: KitKat 4.4.2

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi All

I am new to android central and will be looking for some assistance from this great forum.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that has started to experience some issues. The phone used to work fine and all of a sudden is having random reboot issues. The phone will usually freeze at random times then reboot itself and gets stuck in the Samsung logo once trying to come back on, it also usually starts crashing apps then reboots and gets stuck on the Samsung logo. It happens randomly sometimes when i don't use the phone for a day and just let it sit there it doesn't reboot, then maybe i will use it for a few minutes doing random things it will reboot and get stuck.

I have done a lot of research and tried numerous fixes with no success and I am hoping someone out there has found a solution to this problem.

What i have tried?

-Update all apps to and software to the latest
-Wipe cache from recovery mode
-Factory reset the phone
-Downgrade from lollipop to kitkat using official firmwares
-Happens in safe mode

Not sure what else to try.

Details
Model: SM-G900I
Previous baseband: g900idvu1bod2
Previous firmware: Lolipop 5.0
Current baseband: g900idvu1anj1
Current firmware: KitKat 4.4.2

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Android Central MuDi10!

Sorry to learn that you are having problems with your G900i, regional model of the Galaxy S5.

You appear to have tried most of the diagnostic tests featured in S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide to no avail.

The random restarts cover 2 firmwares, KitKat and Lollipop, and also occur after a Factory Data Reset and in Safe Mode.

I have come across this problem before and the solution was to run a full diagnostic installation, as follows:-

1. A Full Wipe+Factory Data Reset. The Full Wipe is important as it also clears your phone's internal memory and external SD card, (both of which can sometimes cause problems), and takes your phone back to ground zero which a Factory Data Reset alone, cannot do. See, #2.3 and #2.4 of the aforementioned Dummies Guide.

2. Remove the external SD card and download and flash, via Odin, the latest stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, G900i, and CSC and Product code. See #1.8 and #1.11 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. Wipe the cache partition after installation of the firmware.

3. Without downloading any apps or settings or installing the external SD card, take the time to check out your phone thoroughly and see if the restarts persist. If so, you have a hardware problem, which seems unlikely... but possible.

4. Having checked the phone out, you can now sign in and start downloading your apps but not the old settings as these may be causing the issue. Again take the time to check out your phone in case any of the user apps are not compatible with Lollipop and are causing a problem with ART as per #1.2 of the Update Problems Guide. Any problems at this stage would indicate the user apps installed.

5. Providing you experience no problems on the above, you can now set about redoing your app settings. Again, take the time to check the phone for restarts as this would indicate that the user settings are a problem.

6. Finally, you can re-install your formatted and empty external SD card into the phone and restore your data. Do not, at this stage, move any apps to the external SD card before you have, once again, checked the phone out for reboots issues. Should any occur at this stage, you probably have an unsuitable or corrupt external SD card that needs changing. If none occur you can set about using your phone normally.

Whilst this may seem like a long winded procedure it is the only accurate way to track down the cause of the random restart issue.

Last edited:

MuDi10

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for your response.

I started going through your steps and as I got to enabling developer options i tapped the screen 7 times and the phone rebooted. This time it rebooted and came back up instead of being stuck. When the phone came up there was a pop up that says "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped".

Please advise and I will be continuing to monitor.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for your response.

I started going through your steps and as I got to enabling developer options i tapped the screen 7 times and the phone rebooted. This time it rebooted and came back up instead of being stuck. When the phone came up there was a pop up that says "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped".

Please advise and I will be continuing to monitor.

Are you on step #2 ... re-downloaded and flashed the stock firmware for your phone model, CSC and Product code after a Full Wipe+FDR and a cache partition wipe?

Last edited:

MuDi10

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I reflashed the phone to the latest lollipop version for my phone and completed a Full Wipe+FDR and a cache partition wipe. As soon as I got into the phone i went to enable developer options tapped build number 7 times then it froze and rebooted, but this time it came up instead of being stuck on samsung logo. After i turned it back on it started rebooting on anything i was doing or app i was trying to open.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I reflashed the phone to the latest lollipop version for my phone and completed a Full Wipe+FDR and a cache partition wipe. As soon as I got into the phone i went to enable developer options tapped build number 7 times then it froze and rebooted, but this time it came up instead of being stuck on samsung logo. After i turned it back on it started rebooting on anything i was doing or app i was trying to open.

Could you, as per #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, post your exact, "Version", details as well as your country and carrier, if your phone came with carrier branded firmware.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you still having issues? Ironass has provided some great help - hopefully you were able to resolve the problem.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Not yet its still happening :(

So, with a fresh download of the Lollipop firmware, (important as the original download could have been corrupt), and a flash via Odin with a cache partition wipe and with no user apps or settings or external SD card installed, you are still getting reboots?

Can you do an FDR on this firmware just to be sure. Also, has your phone ever been rooted or had a custom firmware flashed to it in the past?

MuDi10

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
So, with a fresh download of the Lollipop firmware, (important as the original download could have been corrupt), and a flash via Odin with a cache partition wipe and with no user apps or settings or external SD card installed, you are still getting reboots?

Can you do an FDR on this firmware just to be sure. Also, has your phone ever been rooted or had a custom firmware flashed to it in the past?

Yes exactly.

No never been rooted or had custom firmware.

I am going to try reflash it now with original lollipop firmware with no carrier apps.

MuDi10

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I done a full wipe then cache partition. Then reflashed using Odin to lollipop using official Samsung no carrier firmware, started using the phone for a few hours no issues. Left the phone in charge overnight woke up to it stuck on the Samsung logo meaning it rebooted and got stuck on the logo.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The cache partition wipe is after you have flashed the firmware via Odin, not before. See item #2 in post #2.

Last edited:

jljecj

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
My Verizon GS5 has just started freezing and rebooting as well. Just did the new update and noticed it today. It does cycle completely though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MuDi10

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Yea I have tried the cache partition just after the reflash and also tried it before and after the second reflash.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yea I have tried the cache partition just after the reflash and also tried it before and after the second reflash.

So, you are now on item #3 of post #2, above? Having done a Full Wipe+Factory Data Reset, removed external SD Card, clean flashed the stock Samsung firmware in post #12 and wiped the cache partition and re-booted without any user apps or settings installed?

I have to ask, have you ever rooted your phone, installed a custom ROM/alternative stock firmware or attempted to flash/change the bootloader or .PIT/re-partition files?

MuDi10

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Correct, and I havent done any of that it started happening randomly and I'm not sure what it can be.

MuDi10

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Got it checked out and they said there is a short circuit in the motherboard that's why it reboots randomly but they want to charge me $167 to fix even though its still under warranty. Is this not covered under warranty ?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20