twdawson

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Just had an update on my G900f with the firmware ending in BOH4.
Is this the fix for stagefright as I notice I am still on 5.0 and not 5.1 like I was hoping.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Just had an update on my G900f with the firmware ending in BOH4.
Is this the fix for stagefright as I notice I am still on 5.0 and not 5.1 like I was hoping.

Unlike the U.S. carrier updates that were just patches for the Stagefright malware exploit, this is a proper security, bugfix and improvement, (Smart Manager from the S6), update for the stock Samsung Android 5.0 firmware for the unbranded U.K. international model, G900F, on CSC code OXA and Product code BTU. I am given to understand that it also covers the new, far more serious, CVE-2015-3825 vulnerability

Released on the OH4 build of 10th August, the changelist for this has shot up from #4920185 on the OE5 build, to #5508620 which is a higher changelist than even the T-Mobile (USA) on Android 5.1.1

For more information about your model of Galaxy S5 as well as firmware, CSC and Product codes, see 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:

twdawson

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that piece of crap has been added. I can't get rid of it as well.
Should of been given the option if I wanted that but yet more bloat ware that I don't want.
Gone to far this time in my opinion.

msingh48

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
This smart manager is not bloat ware. Application is working well to manage ram and memory related problems.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

twdawson

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Apparently this latest update has still not fixed the stagefright exploit.
I listened to the security now podcast this week and found that the S5 is still vulnerable along with loads of other phones including the latest note 5.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Apparently this latest update has still not fixed the stagefright exploit.
I listened to the security now podcast this week and found that the S5 is still vulnerable along with loads of other phones including the latest note 5.

Someone had better tell Lookout Security then...

There are indeed, claims that Stagfright is not fully patched. See, here.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the CVE-2015-3825 exploit.

Last edited:

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The patch that was pushed out a week or so ago fixed the stagefright vulnerability. My SF detector app confirmed that. Unfortunately, someone discovered that it either opened (or missed) another vulnerability. Lookout and Zimperium updated their apps and guess what? I'm vulnerable again.

Meh... there's nothing that I can do about it, and I'm sure it will be fixed in short time. In the meantime, I've disabled "auto retrieval of MMS" and I don't go around posting my cell phone number on every site saying "hey, text me, follow me, let's chat". I'm not that hard up for friends. I think I'm pretty safe.

Go to the Android Central site and read up on Phil's commentaries about the Stagefright issue... he's concerned, but not overly worried at this point.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine still shows a vulnerability. This is from a securityweek.com article

Google has confirmed that the fix for the integer overflow vulnerability does not work as intended and assigned the CVE-2015-3864 identifier to the new issue. However, as of August 13, the company was still pushing out the updates containing the buggy patch.

Hopefully another update comes soon. I am concerned, but not too worried at this point. Nobody knows that my phone number is (555) 555-5555.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yea... no doubt. That's because you're not carrier dependent for your updates. We here across the pond are at their mercy.

No worries can3gxw!

I have it on good authority that the top developer from both AT&T and Verizon, who handle those carrier's cloneware, are on top of the situation and expect a breakthrough any day now... which will, of course, come with added bloatware!

Last edited: