I brought a new Galaxy S5 off eBay. I knew it might be a European version as the description started the English manual is available online. It's model SM-G900F.

I received it today and all instructions manual etc are in polish. I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about when using this phone in the UK? As far as I can tell the warranty is still valid as it's a European warranty, although I'm wondering if anything did go wrong whether I'd be forced to send it overseas.

Also I don't have an update for Android 5.1.1 yet. Will I still get system updates the same time as everyone else?

The final thing I'm wondering about is 4G compatibility. Before I purchased it I understood G900F is 4G compatible. However, I have as of yet managed to get a 4G signal. The mobile network always shows either H or H+ even though it's set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM. I'm taking it about today to see if I get it if I move to a different area. I'm on Three so I have 4G on my contract and there is 4G coverage in my area so I'm slightly confused about this. If I can't pick it up I'm going to return it.

Any other advice? I just want to make sure I fully understand any implications before I decide to keep it.

Thanks
    08-19-2015 11:54 AM
    I brought a new Galaxy S5 off eBay. I knew it might be a European version as the description started the English manual is available online. It's model SM-G900F.

I received it today and all instructions manual etc are in polish. I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about when using this phone in the UK? As far as I can tell the warranty is still valid as it's a European warranty, although I'm wondering if anything did go wrong whether I'd be forced to send it overseas.

Also I don't have an update for Android 5.1.1 yet. Will I still get system updates the same time as everyone else?

The final thing I'm wondering about is 4G compatibility. Before I purchased it I understood G900F is 4G compatible. However, I have as of yet managed to get a 4G signal. The mobile network always shows either H or H+ even though it's set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM. I'm taking it about today to see if I get it if I move to a different area. I'm on Three so I have 4G on my contract and there is 4G coverage in my area so I'm slightly confused about this. If I can't pick it up I'm going to return it.

Any other advice? I just want to make sure I fully understand any implications before I decide to keep it.

Thanks
    Hello and welcome to Android Central MZozo!

You have the international Galaxy S5, G900F, which is the same model that is sold in the U.K.. See, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Warranty repairs for the international are fine for the U.K. and firmware updates are direct from Samsung and are irrespective of location or carrier but instead rely on your CSC and Product code, XEO for non-carrier branded Poland. See #1.8 of the aforementioned guide. Latest firmware for Poland is G900FXXU1BOE5

Here is the User Manual for Lollipop...

Samsung Galaxy S5 User Manual in English for International versions (SM-G900F, Europe and Asia, with Android Lollipop update) (.pdf)

Android 5.1.1 has not been released for the G900F, only for T-Mobile/Metro PCS (USA).
    08-19-2015 12:03 PM
    Hello and welcome to Android Central MZozo!

You have the international Galaxy S5, G900F, which is the same model that is sold in the U.K.. See,

Warranty repairs for the international are fine for the U.K. and firmware updates are direct from Samsung and are irrespective of location or carrier but instead rely on your CSC and Product code, XEO for Poland. See #1.8 of the aforementioned guide. Latest firmware for Poland is G900FXXU1BOE5

Here is the User Manual for Lollipop...

Android 5.1.1 has not been released for the G900F, only for T-Mobile/Metro PCS (USA).
    Thank you for the reply! Just to confirm, using this in the UK should have no problems whatsoever?

I'm a little confused about why I'm only seeing H and H+. As far as I understand, H is the same as 3G but H+ is not as good as 4G, is this correct?
    Maybe it's just the coverage available in the area I'm in.
    08-19-2015 12:15 PM
    Thank you for the reply! Just to confirm, using this in the UK should have no problems whatsoever?
    No problems using the G900F for Poland, XEO, at all. Unlike the USA, with all their different winky wanky networks, it is pretty much standard throughout Europe and most other countries. Hence, the G900F international model that you have.

I'm a little confused about why I'm only seeing H and H+. As far as I understand, H is the same as 3G but H+ is not as good as 4G, is this correct?
    Maybe it's just the coverage available in the area I'm in.
    Both H and H+ are 3G technologies. See, here.

Make sure you have 4G/LTE selected under Settings > More networks > Mobile networks > Network mode > LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)... is checked.

Also ensure that you have the correct APN settings for your carrier, Three, installed ... Settings > More networks > Mobile networks > Access point names.

You can contact Three and get them to send you a set up text or see, here.

Independent OFFCOM mobile coverage checker for UK
    08-19-2015 12:32 PM
    No problems using the G900F for Poland, XEO, at all. Unlike the USA, with all their different winky wanky networks, it is pretty much standard throughout Europe and most other countries. Hence, the G900F international model that you have.

Both H and H+ are 3G technologies. See, here

Make sure you have 4G/LTE selected under Settings > More networks > Mobile networks > Network mode > LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)... is checked.

Also ensure that you have the correct APN settings for your carrier, Three, installed ... Settings > More networks > Mobile networks > Access point names.

You can contact Three and get them to send you a set up text or..
    Thank you for your reply again.
    My CSC is G900FPLSBOD1...not XEO.

Also I have LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) checked with the correct APN settings for my carrier. The Ofcom website states I should be getting good indoor 4G coverage in my area yet I'm still only seeing H and H+.
    08-19-2015 01:14 PM
    Thank you for your reply again.
    My CSC is G900FPLSBOD1...not XEO.
    In that case you have the Polish carrier branded model for the Polish, PLUS network. Strange that they should be pushing those out on eBay. If you do not mind, potentially, voiding your warranty, you could flash the latest stock, unbranded, Samsung firmware for the U.K.. I say potentially, as you could always flash back to the PLUS firmware in the event of a warranty claim. This is not rooting.

Also I have LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) checked with the correct APN settings for my carrier. The Ofcom website states I should be getting good indoor 4G coverage in my area yet I'm still only seeing H and H+.
    Are you using the correct APN settings?

Has this been sold as new on eBay or is it used?
    08-19-2015 01:40 PM
    In that case you have the Polish carrier branded model for the PLUS network. Strange that they shoud be pushing those out on eBay. If you do not mind, potentially, voiding your warranty, you could flash the latest stock, unbranded, Samsung firmware for the U.K.. I say potentially, as you could always flash back to the PLUS firmware in the event of a warranty claim. This is not rooting.

Are you using the correct APN settings?

Do I need to flash the latest stock unbranded firmware? I noticed it was branded as I get some ugly Plus boot screen appear on startup and shutdown haha. Is this a cause for concern, I'm wondering if it could potentially be dodgy now . After all doesn't that suggest the phone was locked to Plus previously?....it's unlocked now though so I'm wondering if it is brand new as claimed. Could this be preventing the 4G connection?

My APN settings match those in the link you sent me previously.
    08-19-2015 01:51 PM
    Do I need to flash the latest stock unbranded firmware? I noticed it was branded as I get some ugly Plus boot screen appear on startup and shutdown haha. Is this a cause for concern, I'm wondering if it could potentially be dodgy now . After all doesn't that suggest the phone was locked to Plus previously?....it's unlocked now though so I'm wondering if it is brand new as claimed. Could this be preventing the 4G connection?

My APN settings match those in the link you sent me previously.
    You beat me to it. I have just edited my previous post to ask if it was sold as new.

PLUS is a Polish network in the same way that THREE is a U.K. network. Both have their own carrier branded firmware. It is just unusual to see a carrier branded model sold as new. That is why I assumed, incorrectly, that it was an unbranded, XEO, firmware for Poland. You will still get updates even though you are not on the PLUS network.

One thing you should definitely check, if it is not new, is if it is an unpaid contract or stolen handset. See #1.7 of Galaxy S5, Fake Clone or Genuine - Dummies Guide as that section details on how you can check to see if the IMEI number is blocked.
    08-19-2015 02:00 PM
    You beat me to it. I have just edited my previous post to ask if it was sold as new.

PLUS is a Polish network in the same way that THREE is a U.K. network. Both have their own carrier branded firmware. It is just unusual to see a carrier branded model sold as new. That is why I assumed, incorrectly, that it was an unbranded, XEO, firmware for Poland. You will still get updates even though you are not on the PLUS network.

One thing you should definitely check, if it is not new, is if it is an unpaid contract or stolen handset.
    Everything suggests it's genuine, I got a CheckMend report and it came back clear. The eBay listing states 'Brand New' however, interestingly in the Phone Info app under usage History it says

Headset Connect Counter: 3
    Charger Connect Counter: 12

...and the build date is beginning of April.

So as suspected it's not 'Brand New'. The seller has agreed to refund me because I can't get the 4G to work. Not sure whether to have a moan because the item is not as described or just to leave it as that and send it back. Will be sending it back though.

Why do I bother trying to buy phones off eBay oh my. Thanks so much for your help!
    08-19-2015 02:46 PM
    Everything suggests it's genuine, I got a CheckMend report and it came back clear. The eBay listing states 'Brand New' however, interestingly in the Phone Info app under usage History it says

Headset Connect Counter: 3
    Charger Connect Counter: 12
    Definitely not, "Brand New", then.

...and the build date is beginning of April.
    That is the correct build date for the latest PLUS firmware.

So as suspected it's not 'Brand New'. The seller has agreed to refund me because I can't get the 4G to work. Not sure whether to have a moan because the item is not as described or just to leave it as that and send it back. Will be sending it back though.
    As Shakespeare once wrote... "All's well that ends well"

Why do I bother trying to buy phones off eBay oh my. Thanks so much for your help!
    You did the right thing and checked it out. First rule when getting a phone from the web... Caveat emptor... Let the buyer beware.
    MZozo likes this.
    08-19-2015 02:57 PM