S5 running stock 5.0 (BOG1) and rooted, but not *really* rooted?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Recently I rooted my Sprint Galaxy S5, currently on Lollipop 5.0 with the BOG1 build. (Shoutout once again to ironass for pointing me to the correct root file, and to Chainfire for building it.)

So everything went fine with the root process, root checker apps tell me I'm rooted, and root-only apps launch without any error messages about being unrooted. I have SuperSU. However, I can't seem to do much of anything beyond what I'd be able to do, if I weren't rooted. My specific observations follow:

Titanium Backup: Will seemingly backup system apps/widgets as before, but if I try to uninstall anything, it will complain that there is no backup or apk file. AFAI can tell TiB will not move ANY apps to the SD card. Stock Apps Manager can still move some, but not all user apps. In particular, I notice that OverDrive, which I use to download and listen to audiobooks, takes up over a GB after downloading a handful of books; neither the data nor the app can be moved as the button is greyed out. My internal SD card has 16GB total and the external has 32, so this is rather a problem.

SDFix (in attempting to fix the above issue): Rendered my phone nearly unusable, so I had to get rid of it.

CM Security: Apparently can no longer be used to exert any control over apps starting up automatically. I will say, despite this, performance is fairly good. Does the 5.0 architecture make this kind of adjustment less relevant/necessary?

If possible I would like to address these issues while still keeping the stock ROM, rooted. But I'm also open to flashing a custom ROM if anyone can recommend one that is reasonably easy to install.

Last edited:

PhucNguyen217

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I think stock rooted 5.0 does not have many different than stock unrooted 5.0 because I cannot install Xposed, Viber4android, samsung 5.0 is so riddiculous but thanks god that the stock rom itself is very good without these "rooted things only". I'm happy with Sprint 5.0!

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think stock rooted 5.0 does not have many different than stock unrooted 5.0 because I cannot install Xposed, Viber4android, samsung 5.0 is so riddiculous but thanks god that the stock rom itself is very good without these "rooted things only". I'm happy with Sprint 5.0!

But what do you do for backups? Of course I do realize there's the Kies software for those of us who don't want to rely on cloud backups, but having to connect to a PC to do that is a poor second choice to being able to maintain your user apps and system data onboard the handset. Titanium Backup continues to meet those needs, at least, even if I can no longer use it to move my user apps to the SD card as I would like.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD free from the Play Store. Works great on Lollipop, too!
I did mention that I've already tried that, but I didn't go into much detail about why the result was less than satisfactory. In a nutshell, black screens and restarts, with the occasional Sustem Process Has Unfortunately Stopped thrown in were what I experienced. But some of those symptoms reappeared a couple of days ago, but went away after a cache wipe from stock recovery. Maybe when I first encountered the issue last month, I merely needed to do the same thing then, and SDFix wasn't the culprit after all. Does that seem plausible?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
All I can tell you is that it has worked fine for me on the last 8 stock Samsung Lollipop firmware releases for the unbranded U.K. international G900F model. I don't think that the stock Sprint firmware should be any different Dark Penguin.

popeonarope

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I was banging my head against this same problem. Rooting my sprint BOG1 now that the stability issues seem to be fixed so I can take advantage of my 128g sd card. Chainfire worked great to root it but TB was giving the same issue. The SD app did not work for me, at least there were no changes on TB. I tried several other apps along the same vein until i tried Madmacks FolderMount app. The three tests worked great so i paid the $2 and have been installing and moving games all day since. While it does not allow you to install directly to sd and doesnt move everything over, but it does handle the large obb and data files.

Hopefully the sd fix worked for you, if not try the Folder Mount app.

After installing 18gigs on external sd card of apps from the play store i only take up 6.5gigs internal sd, and some was already taken but i forget how much. Unfortunarely humble bundle and amazon apps wont install to the external sd card for me and wont show up with the folder mount app.

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: How to move more apps to your SD card

I found a methodology to move more apps to the SD card; I do mean only "found" and not "invented". But still I thought it was worth sharing.

I started a new thread about right over here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995