Multiple issues with GS5 - battery LED dupes

alyled

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone.
I bought the galaxy S5 off of a friend of mine, she's had it for less than a year. Of course we did a factory reset, and I went and got my own Sim card from Verizon.
I'm on L 5.0.
*Random text messages from an assortment of senders are occasionally coming in duplicate.
*The LED notification light does not flash for notifications. It does work when charging and powering off and on the device however. I have up to this point tried everything I could possibly find online.
*The battery life is absolutely terrible.

I was wondering if anybody had any advice or tricks for me to try? I'm sorry if this is been said and done before, I have searched through multiple forums and topics and I can't find anything that will work for me as yet.

I have disabled bloatware and I have installed only one app. I use only one home screen, and no widgets. I try to pare down functionality completely because I prefer speed over endless options .I kill running processes throughout the day. My phone is connected to Wi-Fi quite often as I'm a stay at home mother, but apart from that I don't really have anything running that would explain the battery drain. Bluetooth and NFC are off.
As far as the LED, I have tried to vibrate/silent trick, I have wiped the cache partition, and I have done another factory reset. None of these things worked.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Display>LED Indicator, and make sure it's turned on for notifications.

I would caution against manually closing apps or processes. Remember that Android wants to keep RAM relatively full (typically around 70-80%), so if you start closing apps on your own (or if you use a "RAM booster" app), the system will just open them again, or open other apps. If this cycle continues frequently, it can contribute to battery drain. Just let Android do its thing, and only close apps if you suspect they are misbehaving.

Batteries can wear out more quickly if they're abused--e.g., if the user frequently discharges them deeply (i.e., to single digits or to zero), or if they're frequently in extreme temperatures, the overall lifespan can be shortened. Ask your friend what sort of charging habits she had.

It would be helpful to see battery stats in general. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

alyled

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your response. My friend is the type to always have her phone plugged in.
I'll take your advice and stop killing processes unless absolutely necessary.
Yes, the LED is turned on. All notifications are allowed on lock screen.
Next charge up I'll do as you mentioned and post some screen shots.
Thanks again.

alyled

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Today after fully charging in the am, and moderate use, I still have about 74% battery. I'm thinking the factory reset that I did the other day helped that?
I'm also coming from an iPhone 5s, which indubitably has better battery life. I guess I needed to just get used to the differences between the two.

However I'm still getting duplicate texts, mostly from people with iPhones. And my notification LED is still m.i.a.