I was an avid Google Wallet payer. This weekend, Android Pay showed up in my apps and Google Wallet is forcing in upgrade. Upon setting it up it is forcing me to remove my SECURE fingerprint screen lock and replace it with a less secure pattern lock if I want to use the service. What a load of BS.

Any way to keep the fingerprint lock and still use Android Pay?
    Tommy Bayshore likes this.
    09-14-2015 12:38 PM
    Android does not support fingerprint scanners yet. When Marshmallow 6.0 releases and devices are updated to that firmware, Android Pay will be able to work with compatible implementations. There have been no announcements from Samsung about whether or not they will fix their existing devices when upgrading them to Marshmallow in order to ensure compatibility. Samsung has a competing service, Samsung Pay that they may favor more than the standard Android Pay.
    09-14-2015 12:44 PM
    On my s6 it lets me use fingerprint lockscreen. I wonder why it won't for the s5

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-14-2015 02:00 PM
    Android does not support fingerprint scanners yet. When Marshmallow 6.0 releases and devices are updated to that firmware, Android Pay will be able to work with compatible implementations. There have been no announcements from Samsung about whether or not they will fix their existing devices when upgrading them to Marshmallow in order to ensure compatibility. Samsung has a competing service, Samsung Pay that they may favor more than the standard Android Pay.
    Then they should have left it alone until Android M was widely available. They disabled Google Wallet. To be honest, I guess its not a big deal as none of my cards were even supported in the new Pay.
    09-14-2015 02:12 PM
    Then they should have left it alone until Android M was widely available. They disabled Google Wallet. To be honest, I guess its not a big deal as none of my cards were even supported in the new Pay.
    I agree the rollout of this is confusing and in several ways it is a case of the cart before the horse. It is interesting to see ab304945's indication that it works on the Galaxy S6. It is pretty rare for Google to hold back features because of contradictory hardware functionality elsewhere in the ecosystem, but this suggests that the S5 and S6 have different generational implementations and that the S5 may not become compatible with Android Pay with concern to the Fingerprint Scanner.
    09-14-2015 02:17 PM
    Same thing with my S5. However, right now the beta for Samsung Pay doesn't support the S5, does anyone know that the official release will support the S5 and the fingerprint lockscreen? If so, I'm ditching Android Pay as soon as I can get it downloaded. Even the PIN lock screen is a painful nonsense.
    09-14-2015 04:24 PM
    I noticed android pay updated recently (ver 1.0.103342659) and I tried turning fingerprint unlock back on for my S5.

Lo and behold, it didn't pitch a fit! It might actually work now.
    10-26-2015 02:21 PM
    I noticed android pay updated recently (ver 1.0.103342659) and I tried turning fingerprint unlock back on for my S5.

Lo and behold, it didn't pitch a fit! It might actually work now.
    I can switch back to fingerprint scanner after using Android Pay, but it wants a pass code before it will run Android Pay again.
    I'm using the S5 encrypted, so the pass code or fingerprint are my only options for a lock screen.
    10-27-2015 04:22 AM
    I was trying to set up android pay but it said i had to remove my fingerprint and set up a pattern! I have a brand new Note 5 with Verizon with every app/firmware updates. Guess i wont be using Android Pay. Samsung pay sucks in a different way, almost all my cards i tried it said the card wasnt supported. I tried Capital One cards, JP Morgan and quite a few others, only one it supports is AMEX a few of the big bangs. Still useless to me since i have 1 AMEX and about 20 Visa's...oh well...
    11-15-2015 11:35 AM
    Not mine :\
    12-04-2015 11:16 AM
    Knock on wood, I think the latest Sprint OS update for my phone may have fixed the issue.
    12-07-2015 12:33 PM
    Knock on wood, I think the latest Sprint OS update for my phone may have fixed the issue.
    What version is that, TimmyTwo2? I've got Sprint and would love to see a fix.
    12-07-2015 02:04 PM
    The new update from last week BOK4.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-07-2015 06:52 PM
    I just did the latest update for the Sprint GS5. It seemed to only be a security patch (2015-11-01). I still can't use the fingerprint lock with Android pay. I was really hopeful when others said it worked for them.

Any suggestions?
    12-28-2015 01:06 PM