"Storage" shows incorrect amount of memory consumed by apps

dkelly701

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed this on my phone last night and I can't figure it out. My phone has 16 GB of internal memory but when I go to Settings and then Storage, my phone is reporting that my memory is totally consumed and app are using over 20 GB of memory. If I use the "MY Files" app that comes installed on the phone, it show device storage as 10.43/16.00 GB. I don't get any errors when installing new apps or updating old ones.

Anyone see anything like this before? I have cleaned app cache with 360, cleaned system cache in recovery mode, performed a battery pull and gone to the settings app and cleared data with no result.

2015-09-17 00.40.30.jpg

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Everyone has access to that, has nothing to do with rooting or not. At the dialer screen type in *#9900#.

Could your phone somehow be including the SD card in that calculation? Mine doesn't, but I have a Sprint phone that is still on 5.0. Maybe others show it differently.

Also, this is a pet peeve of mine. People referring to memory when they mean storage. You do not have 16GB of memory, you have 16GB of total storage on the phone and 2GB of memory.

dkelly701

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I believe that Verizon has disabled access to this menu. If you have root, you are able to turn this feature back on. Since I have an unrooted Verizon phone, when I put in *#9900#, I don't get a "hidden menu."

As far as memory and storage, I think it can be referred to either way. Isn't it memory used for the purpose of storage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance