Galaxy S5 will not send text messages (but can receive them) even after Factory Reset

Bon Jokey

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
My Galaxy S5 was bought new and boxed on August 6th. After 5 weeks it started playing up as the ringtone would play over and over with every new notification (FB, Twitter etc) meaning I had to turn the phone off. A reboot and Zedge app delete sorted this out however now I find I cannot sent text messages but I can receive them. I can also post on all social media but not send a text. I have twice restored the phone to factory settings which solves the problem for about a week, then it returns. The THREE shop I bought it from are perplexed and cant help me suggesting I return it to Samsung as its outside the 1 month guarantee. I've tried all advice on the Forum and elsewhere, except using a rival messaging service since that is not really solving the problem. I'm on 4G with Unlimited Texts and I'm not over my allowance. To date I have tried the following which didn't work....
* Switched the phone off then back on
* Installed the latest software
* Switched to Flight Mode then back again
* Checked the text message centre number (+447782000800) is correct
* Restored phone to factory settings (twice)
* Removed WhatsApp
* Removed all music and video media

Surely somebody has had this problem and found a solution (other than using SMS Pro for example). Any Samsung technicians out there? The Messaging service is the program I use most and short of returning handset to Samsung I've run out of ideas. Help!

UPDATE: October 20th I managed to get my text service up and running (so far) by clearing the message cache. Here is how to do it on Samsung S5
APPS - SETTINGS - scroll down to APPLICATIONS - APPLICATION MANAGER - scroll across the screen to the left to the 'ALL' menu - scroll down to MESSAGES - CLEAR CACHE. Finally re-start your phone to allow changes to take effect.

UPDATE: November 27th After nearly 2 months of text messaging problems which I trusted to be a phone fault today I receive a text from my network provider THREE saying they have recified the fault indicating it was at their end and not a hardware problem. Thanks THREE, could have let me know sooner. Glad I didn't send the phone away for repair now!

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
In the US we have Samsung mini-stores inside BestBuy. The techs there can flash the operating system. Perhaps Samsung has something similar over there.

Bon Jokey

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE: On October 2nd I reset the Galaxy S5 to Factory Reset for the third time and it was once again able to sent text messages on startup. I did not download any other apps (except FB and Twitter) and the phone continued to work untroubled........until Friday (Oct 16th) when the texts stopped again. As I have had no advice or suggestions on here I have no choice but to post the damn thing back to Samsung and be phoneless for days/weeks?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Since you have nothing to lose as your phone will be Factory Data Reset by Samsung, you could try a Full Wipe+Factory Data Reset as per #2.3, #2.4 and #2.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. Do not install any apps, particularly FaceBook and Twitter, and run your phone for awhile and see if your text problem reappears. If not, it is likely to be a user app/s or setting/s that is causing your issues.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I sent my S4 to Samsung for repair. It was gone three weeks. But they sent the phone back in a very nice blue Samsung pouch . . . looks nice . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton