How do I edit the URL of a home screen shortcut?

kndCajun

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I visit a web page daily and I would like a direct shortcut to it from my home screen. Unfortunately the actual URL changes every day, and the website takes care of the details by changing the URL from a generic one to a specific URL based on the current date. All I have to do is navigate to the generic URL (by clicking on the website's menu), and the correct URL is formulated.

I would like to add this generic URL to my home screen. However, when the page loads it's already too late to save a shortcut to home screen, because the URL has changed. And I cannot find a way to edit the URL before the shortcut is created, or later.

Please advise,
Thank you

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello, welcome to the forums!

That's a tricky one! Maybe it'll work if you first switch WiFi and mobile data off, try to load the generic page and wait until the offline error shows up. The redirect won't apply so you should be able to "add to home screen" in the Chrome settings.

HogCall

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Well, the real problem is that we have a customer who needs to save the link to our website on their mobile devices, and I believe it is going to be on over 400 devices. So I was researching if there was a way to create a custom icon that would point to the main URL (instead of the redirected to the Login URL) -- and discovered this thread -- with our custom Icon. You'd think they would have made shortcut icons a little easier to edit. Still, at least I've got this part solved. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12