How can I fix a bizarre GS5 RAM Issue?

A

AC Question

Bizarre GS5 RAM Issue

For some reason, I'm having a weird issue where my applications are randomly restarting. Essentially, I'll be playing music, and then that stops, along with my lockscreen which doesn't restart, and Lux, my brightness managment, restarts. It seems to me like my RAM is clearing, and I can't quite figure out why, nor replicate it. I've been trying all sorts of things and I've yet to hit the bullseye on it yet. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to offer!

anon(9680982)

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: Bizarre GS5 RAM Issue

This is me, I made an account. I did, and it still is happening. Through further testing, I can replicate this issue more or less by opening a bunch of apps and then launching an app that uses a lot of memory, it wipes all processes from what I can tell. Just weird that it happens occasionally when not much is happening!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Do you have any 3rd party memory management or "RAM booster" apps installed? These kinds of apps can actually be counterproductive, so I'd uninstall them if they're present.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, whew!;) You mentioned Lux--do you have any other 3rd party apps that are constantly running in the background? Have you tried uninstalling Lux temporarily?

anon(9680982)

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

Haha, yes, yes I do. This is what I'm a bit worried about. I recently switched from PlayerPro to Gonemad music player, which is almost always in the background playing music. I have Lux running, as you know. I also have a lockscreen replacement, ACDisplay. I suppose I should also count Nova Launcher. I was thinking I should try that suggestion, but seeing as Lux's restart message was the main indication that this bug was happening, I figured I should try something else. If it helps, normal RAM usage is consistently at 1.3/1.6 gigs, which is where it normally was before I had this issue. I'll see if I can find another sign of this problem, and uninstall Lux to test that out!

anon(9680982)

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

Okay, so I think I've somewhat narrowed down what's going on. I think it has something to do with the music player, when I started my music today with Lux disabled, it started to play, and then the RAM cleared. It has always been somewhat around my music, but I'm not quite certain what I can do to fix that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Maybe that music app is RAM hungry, especially if you're often using it in the background.

anon(9680982)

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

That's what I'm starting to think, darn. Do you have any suggestions for a fully-featured music app that handles large libraries decently? PlayerPro was my go-to, but it's starting to get very sluggish under my library size.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I only ever use Google Play Music, so I can't speak from first-hand experience. PowerAmp gets lots of love--have you checked that out?

anon(9680982)

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

Hey, appreciate all the help you've given me, I'll give PowerAmp a shot. It drove me crazy in the past, but I'm sure it fixed those quirks, so hopefully I'll give that a few days and see if that helps this memory issue.

anon(9680982)

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

Alright, figured I'd do a quick follow-up on this. After switching to Poweramp from GoneMad Music Player, it appears my memory issues with my phone are resolved, I haven't had the problem these last few days, with some extensive testing. Thanks for the help, B. Diddy! Is there a mark as solved here, or do I just edit my title?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Awesome! If you want, you can edit the title of the thread and add "[SOLVED]" to it. But it's not necessary. Enjoy!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon