09-12-2016 08:01 AM
111 1234 ...
tools
    No issue for me with the SD card. Everything on the card is still there. Phone is working fine. Just drove 500+ miles away from home, good signal, good battery. WiFi in hotel connected without issue.
    ironass likes this.
    10-24-2015 05:49 PM
    I just finished installing the 5.1.1. update to my Samsung Galaxy S5 a couple of hours ago. I am on Central Time zone. I've notice that my device is smoother and runs faster. I no longer have the sim card error that was linked to my call settings. Now I can forward calls and make changes to my call waiting. I also notice that the app for the mobile Hotspot is gone. I now have to go into settings to connect my hotspot. I was waiting for this update because of the error messages in my call settings that AT&T couldn't fix. Now my phone is operating great and there are no more error messages.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2015 08:56 PM
    3 times, same result as you. Went to ATT store, they attempted update with no success and no answer as to why it won't work.
    10-25-2015 09:33 AM
    I haven't got any notification yet

10-25-2015 09:59 AM
    Tried through update software but it says i am having the latest version installed its 5.0, any idea why i am not getting the update??

10-25-2015 10:19 AM
    Tried through update software but it says i am having the latest version installed its 5.0, any idea why i am not getting the update??

Are you registered on the AT&T network?

Has your phone been rooted/modified?
    10-25-2015 10:38 AM
    Tried installing yesterday and today. After rebooting to recovery and starting update it errored saying Update Failed. Did a cache wipe between tries.

10-25-2015 11:47 AM
    I have downloaded 3 times... last 3 nights and get failure to install every time after rebooting. I have also tried installing through Kies, but says I am up to date.
    10-25-2015 12:15 PM
    Updated to 5.1.1 through device settings > About > Software Updates.
    It was 610MB (AT&T) all went smooth and rebooted fine.
    I don't notice any difference from 5.0 with the exception of swiping UP the notification no longer clears the notifications (nice I guess).
    The camera App. seems to open at least 3X as fast as it used too (definitely nice)...
    10-25-2015 02:48 PM
    Grrrr, I regret this update immediately. 4.4.4 was perfectly fine but on 5.1 I notice immediate lag just swiping around in the home screen. Google Chrome constantly refreshes a tab when I use another app and the battery went from 99% to 96% in 2 minutes of use....

I looked at the method of downgrading but I don't wanna risk this device. I bought it off contract.
    10-25-2015 09:25 PM
    It won't let me update my phone for some reason keeps saying download interrupted

Posted via AT&T Galaxy S6 gold 64gb
    10-25-2015 09:36 PM
    My phone's been burning battery like crazy since the update. I left location services on, but had absolutely every app closed, yet my phone burned through over 30% battery life in about 4 hours without me ever touching it. Apparently ATT thinks 12 hour standby time is acceptable with this new update. No notification that you've cleared the home screen (used to give a vibrate like you hit a key), tons of unwanted pop-up notifications when trying to use google services (maybe just because first time since the update, but how the hell can I use navigation services when I have to re-enter everything I did twice). Perhaps another factory reset is in order, as it solved many problems with the dreaded 5.0 update.
    10-26-2015 04:29 AM
    Ok. Got a 23 hour battery test (based on my usage) pretty much completed. It's not %100 "pure" because I mistakenly put it on the car charger for a minute at the beginning of my drive to work, while using Google Navigation and listening to a podcast (pretty much the last hour of use)

Notes: This is with S Health enabled and FB installed. I toggle Location and Bluetooth off when I'm not using them.

Overnight drain was impressive. I'm pretty stoked...the only other thing I want to "check" is call quality/connectivity in a low signal area.
    mattsternc likes this.
    10-26-2015 08:00 AM
    Update failed several times before success. Had to free up 6.25GB of storage which would have been much easier if we could remove all the bloatware. So far, all is well and nice improvement from 5.0.

mattsternc likes this.
    10-26-2015 09:08 AM
    I installed this Friday morning without any issues. It took about 45 minutes to download and install (609mb). My battery was charging at wirelessly at the time and I noticed the phone got a little warm. It was draining a little faster than before, so I went ahead and plugged it in. I didn't reboot. What I saw after that was quite remarkable! My battery lasted until about 9:30 yesterday morning (when it hit 13%), so run/standby time was 1 day 15 hours or so. I am a light to moderate user, Facebook is installed and no phone calls during that time. Not bad for standby, although not sure if that was a fluke or not. I'll find out more in the next day or so.

As for the issues with install everyone seems to be having, the other forum *cough*xda*cough* had several people with the same issues. What some of them found was that the update itself needs 5-6 GB free for the install to complete successfully. I had around 6.5 free on my phone before the install and it completed with no issues. This is actually not very good if the actual requirement is to have that much space free, but I guess there isn't much we can do about it at this point.

As for changes, I've noticed little things all over the place. I really noticed that the phone is definitely more responsive now when I am using it. Navigation through the menus, apps, etc. seems to be much smoother than with 5.0.1 update. I'll see how the battery goes for the next few days. Hopefully that wasn't a fluke!!
    10-26-2015 09:13 AM
    I may be in the minority here regarding my OCD-ness...and I hope its not pre-mature; but it looks like a LOOOOONG standing bug re: music playing on this device (and for that matter, the GS3) has been fixed. I should know...my phone has been my primary music player for YEARS.

Description: when playing mp3s (and streaming music I think) over headphones, if you unplug the headphones, about a half a second worth of the track you were playing would play over the phone speaker. THAT relative annoyance has NOT happened over the numerous points in time today.
    10-26-2015 10:57 AM
    Update failed on me twice. I did the cache clearing tip and trying again right now. I'll let everyone know if it worked for me.
    10-26-2015 12:25 PM
    On my mom's AT&T Galaxy S5 it won't update either. How do I get it to update? Please help! This is the second time it has failed!
    10-26-2015 12:27 PM
    You will need around 2GB+ of free space on your phone to receive this update. Upgrade Device Software for the Samsung Galaxy S5 (G900A)

EDIT: It appears that between 5-7GB of free space is actually required for this AT&T update!!!
    10-26-2015 01:14 PM
    The cache trick did indeed work for me. I cleared out my cache (which had 3GB of data in it) and I was able to update after that. It didn't break my SD card, luckily.

I did notice that the animations were smoother and the phone felt less jerky. However, only time will tell if it will stay that way...
    ironass likes this.
    10-26-2015 01:24 PM
    i didn't realize there was an update, I just checked and it's downloading now. we'll see how it goes...
    10-26-2015 04:28 PM
    Multiple failures here, read on XDA to have at least 7 GB free. Worked for me. Clear the cache from storage, uninstall enough apps to have 7GB free.
    Chris Hillman likes this.
    10-26-2015 09:23 PM
    Are you registered on the AT&T network?

Has your phone been rooted/modified?
    No i am using unlocked version of S5

10-27-2015 06:21 AM
    No i am using unlocked version of S5

Is it the SM-G900A model and on the AT&T network?

If not, you will not get the AT&T, Android 5.1.1, update.

To find out more about your phone model, CSC and Product codes and firmware version, see 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
    10-27-2015 06:36 AM
    Multiple failures here, read on XDA to have at least 7 GB free. Worked for me. Clear the cache from storage, uninstall enough apps to have 7GB free.
    I had 3GB free, and it failed. I uninstalled apps until I had 5GB free, and it worked fine at that point.

Not sure why a 600MB update needed 5GB to install. But what a mess... especially since the installer just aborted, and didn't give a helpful error.
    10-27-2015 07:32 PM
111 1234 ...