Email Settings

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm receiving my email alright but was wondering about the difference in the settings
on Incoming Server. These are images of Comcast, Tab4 and S5.

As you can see the Tab4 is set to POP and the S5 is set to IMAP.

Is this the difference between a Tablet and an a Cell phone or what.

They were both set up through the somewhat auto retrieval method.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Comcast Email Settings.jpg
    Comcast Email Settings.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Email Tab4.jpg
    Email Tab4.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Email S5-2.jpg
    Email S5-2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 12

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
IMAP and POP3 are two completely different protocols (systems) for handling email. It's best not to mix them together. IMAP is a much more modern, capable system and is preferred in almost all situations. Highly recommend you delete the account setup on the tablet and re-enter it as IMAP, You can probably choose automatic setup and it will do basic configuration for you.

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I had used the auto settings before and tried it again and it was configured with
the IMAP settings.

Thanks.

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Should I also change the Comcast settings to IMAP from POP as in the image?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You want to have all devices and computers using the same setup for any given account. So yes, setup everything for that account as IMAP.

IMAP can do Push email, sync folders and other stuff that POP3 just can't.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The problem with POP is that it downloads the message to your device (tablet, phone, computer) and then deletes it from the server by default. This is so your online mailbox doesn't fill up.

The PROBLEM with this is that you won't see your emails on the S5 that you've already downloaded on the Tab4. There is a checkbox on the Tab4's settings "Leave my messages on the server..." - since this is NOT checked, and if you format your Tab, you will lose EVERY ONE of your older emails.

As stated above - everything should be checked as "IMAP". Always. Now get on that Tab and backup all your data and your emails before your next post is titled "Help, I've lost all my old emails".

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, crash - I've been there too... completely overlook some small things... usually it's trying to solve a technical problem when "have you restarted it?" usually resolved the problem. :p

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Going to change the Comcast settings to IMAP then unbox my new laptop and leave Vista behind.😆