Any lock screen shortcut key?

SamsungNewbie

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

Is there a quick key / shortcut for activating / deactivating the lock screen rather than having to go through the Settings palava each time?

TIA :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure if I completely understand your question. What are you trying to set? There are different ways to lock your phone from your home screen if that's what you're after. Give us more details and we'll try to help you out.

SamsungNewbie

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Javier P

Apologies if I was unclear. Yes, I'm after a quick way to lock my screen and unlock it from my home screen. At the moment I have to go into Settings / Lock Screen / set screen lock to password/finger print etc backup and then activate the lock screen with the right side button.

TIA :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There are different ways to lock your phone from the home screen: by timeout that you can change in your security settings, with the power button or using a third party app like Screen off & lock. But there's no way to unlock your phone from the home screen! If you are in the home screen it means that you've already unlocked your phone. Sorry, but I'm a bit lost. Why do you need to go through your settings, backup and right button to do this?

SamsungNewbie

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Javier

The thing is, I don't always want my screen to be locked, and when I do want to lock it I have to go through the Sertings set-up and then use the power button to lock it.

Sorry, it's late in the UK and I'm being stupid, you are quite right - of course that I can quickly unlock the phone (by password or finger print etc). It's more the quick locking that I was after.

I used to use a Balckberry and you could just hold down the 'K' key to activate the screen lock when you needed it and when you didn't, it remained unlocked. I'm looking for something similar if there is anything.

Thanks again.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I think I got it :) There are different places where you define when your phone will be locked or just it will put the screen off.

In your security settings you can decide a couple of things. First select your locking timeout. With this setting you can decide how long it will take to lock your phone after it goes to sleep (screen off). Then, in the same screen, you can select if the Power button will lock the phone or just switch the screen off.

In the Smart Lock options you can select when and where your phone will stay unlocked (trusted device, places, on body detection, etc). This feature is very helpful but it can be a bit complicated to set it up, tell me if you need any help with this.

Now, you can use a third party app like this one https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=5ZjdFHmh to have a shortcut in your home screen that will lock your phone whenever you want.

SamsungNewbie

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi again Javier, and thanks for persevering!

I can't see anything obvious in my Security settings that would allow me to select the power button to lock my phone, but I'd you can direct me any further that sounds exactly what I need. (I have headings such as Encryption, Find My Mobile (do you have that set up?), Sim Card Lock, passwords, Device Administration, Security Update Service, Credentials Storage)

Also, if you wouldn't mind explaining more about thr Smart Lock, that would be appreciated.

If neither of these work, I'll download the app you suggest.

Many thanks for all your very helpful advice.

SamsungNewbie

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
No need to apologise at all, I much appreciate you taking the time.

My lock screen settings literally only give me the option to change the lock screen type (and adjust if the camera is accessible on the lock screen) otherwise there are no other options that I can find anywhere. Have also Googled but coming up blank.

I have the S5 mini which is perhaps why options are more limited (sorry, should have mentioned this fact earlier).

Thanks again.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It seems there are different places where you can change those lock settings. You could try this, go to settings - scroll down to Sound & display - tap on lock screen - scroll all the way down to see all the options.

You can also use the search feature in your settings (magnifying glass). Search for "lock delay" and "instantly locks".

SamsungNewbie

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Javier

Thanks again for your reply. I think I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one though as I just don't have any other options under my Screen Security tab other than type of screen lock. Perhaps there are more options on the larger S5 rather than the Mini.

I also tried googling but no joy.

I'll look into the app you've kindly suggested next.

Many thanks and have a great week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz