Galaxy S5 Group Texting and Other Issues...Has Anyone Else Had These?

chase3rd

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I have owned my Galaxy S5 since May 2014. I love my phone when it works properly, but I have had so many issues with it, I am really hesitating buying another Galaxy. I'm wondering if my phone was just a fluke or if other people have been having these same issues. Some issues have come and gone. I've been able to resolve some issues on my own with manual workaround, but other issues have lingered on the phone since the week I got it.

I'll start with the biggest issue, which is the deal breaker for me. I frequently do not receive texts in group texts. It's not just an Apple thing...I also miss messaged from fellow Android users. It's extremely frustrating because it's hard to know when you HAVEN'T received a message. I'm wondering if this is because my phone has to individually download each group text, then move it into the group text message (i.e. if someone sends a message in a group text, it first hits my individual conversation with that person, then my phone automatically downloads it and moves it into the group text). I'll oftentimes be sitting in my house, where I have strong wireless and network connections, and I will still miss texts. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just my phone?

Next issue: Ever since the first day I had this phone, it will sometimes freeze up when I'm opening an app. The app will crash and I'll have to try again. Sometimes it will just stay frozen and I have to turn the screen off and let it work itself out for several minutes. Othertimes when I try to unlock my phone, it will freeze up right when I unlock it, then it'll restart on its own. This has been happening ever since I first bought my phone and it's not like I download an excessive number of apps. I also frequently close all my apps, so I don't have much running in the background.

Next issue: Also related to group texting. Whenever I'm receiving a group text, it will freeze up my phone for 5ish seconds until the text comes through. I understand my phone has to download the text, but it seems ridiculous that it freezes up my phone every time a group text comes through. I do about 1/3 of my texting in group texts (not large groups...usually 3-4), so this has gotten old REALLY fast. So frustrating. In the meantime my apple friends have not been having this issue.

While there are several other smaller issues, these are the big ones that have been harassing me ever since I bought my phone. I really, really, really do not want to jump ship and go to the Apple world, but I can't deal with these ridiculous problems. As a quick side note, my service is through Verizon...so these issues could possibly be isolated to Verizon galaxy s5 users.

With Samsung, Google, and Verizon all with their hands in the mix, there are so many potential points of failure. They all insist on requiring my phone to mandatorily carry some of their garbage apps. The best argument Apple has is that they are the only ones with their hands in the mix for their phones. That argument is luring me more and more, but I think I'm going to give the S6 a try and that will be my last ditch effort. In all honesty, I just really wish my S5 would work properly. It's everything I want in a phone, but the texting issues are just too much to handle.

Your inputs and thoughts will be much appreciated.

tl;dr: My phone doesn't receive group texts randomly (not consistently with the same person and not isolated to iPhone users). It also lags up and crashes when I launch apps at least once a day. Anyone else had these issues or is it just my lemon of a phone?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
For Group Text Issue:

I have moved to Textra for messaging. It seems to be a solid messaging app. I enabled this feature and so far so good with group texts: Textra Settings>MMS>Use MMS for Group Chats

You might check for a similar setting within your existing text messaging app.

Freezing up is not normal. That happens once in a blue moon for me. I would verify all apps are up to date and ensure you're running the latest version of Android.

Verizon is due to release Android Version 5.1.1 SOON (we don't know when, we're still waiting). Here's my suggestion for you...

Once 5.1.1 is released, upgrade. Then, do a factory reset of your phone (after backing up of course!!!). If you are still not satisfied with your phone after a factory reset and the latest OS, then I would consider moving on to a Nexus device. No bloatware and all the latest/greatest from Android without the wait.

chase3rd

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I've ensured everything is up to date, including the android operating system.

I've been tempted to switch over to the Nexus phones for the exact reasons you mentioned, but my brother has used Nexus's for this last 3 phones and they have all died after 18 months. He's a tech guy, so he knows what he's doing with his phones. So that is a definite concern.

Changing messaging apps is a good suggestion. I've been really hesitant to do so, because I would just prefer to use the standard texting app. Clearly if it's not functioning properly, then I should just suck it up and change to something else.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Try Textra or Google Messenger. Both are good.

I would agree with the statements about the Nexus devices - they can be hit or miss. The Motorola X Pure is a consideration worth mentioning, but it will not receive updates as fast as a nexus device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674