S5 Screen is flickering and freezing up, how can I fix this?

A

AC Question

S5 Screen is flickering and freezing up

For the past three weeks my S5 has been flickering and the screen will freeze up. When I try to text the screen shakes up and down and I can't type the letters. When I'm on wifi it "seems" to work better, but when I'm not on wifi it's definitely much worse. Any screen that I go into it does this and it's getting worse. Sometimes it will freeze and I just have to leave it for a few minutes before I can do anything on it. I've had the phone for a little over a year and never had any problems until now.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: S5 Screen is flickering and freezing up

Not sure if it is a bug or what. I'm on Sprint and since I got one of the last 5.0 updates, my screen flickers on the bottom when it dims the screen right before time out. Then when I have it plugged in charging I have the clock app (the one from Google, not the one from Samsung) do a day dream for low light rooms as it charges. That screen flickers bright and dim for the clock digits. Sorry it isn't a solution for you, but I'm interested if there is a fix or not for this too!

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...alaxy-s4-i9500-screen-flickering-problem.html

Posts #10 and #13 helped resolve my issue. I had AirView on, I turned it off and it seemed to be fine (I check on Facebook because the white background is easy to see) when it went into daydream my clock app seemed to display dim too. I turned AirView back on now, seems to still be fine. So it's like turning it off and back on reset what ever was causing it.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Now I'm not sure it resolved my issue. The flicker showed back up about a day after it stopped, now it seems to be worse, sometimes it flickers green on a portion now and it's hyper flashing bright when I am charging again.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site

I've been clearing cache all along, we'll see if the battery pull helps though, I didn't try that one yet.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I was putting off a factory reset, done quite a few of those on this phone, will probably have to do that this weekend when I have time to backup and start over with my home screens.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site

I backed up, Factory Reset (I did it 10 times to be safe that it didn't keep any data), still does it. I'm restoring the apps, etc. right now. There went about 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Still is doing it, not sure what is going on. Sometimes when it's plugged in charging it gets worse and flashes green on the bottom portion of the screen at times. I'm hoping 5.1.1 or 6.0 fix it, if I can't figure out what is causing it before then.

sandburner14

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a hardware issue with the screen itself, my wife's S5 did this, did a factory reset as well as every other solution, and it only continued to get worse, sent it in, they claimed LCD damage, would not repair it under warranty because the phone was 14 months old, charged around $140 for the repair and return shipping, and now I know of 2 more having the same problem, mine and a friend of mine at work, all 3 phones are about the same age, and they are the only 3 I know of at this age, and all 3 had the problem, that's 3 for 3. I think there is a manufacturing defect, and samsung should fix the problem free of charge to everyone who experiences it, and if they won't, then we all need to start a class action lawsuit! It is beyond ridiculous that a phone that is just over 1 year old is having LCD failure, and Samsung refusing to stand behind their product. Please reply to this if anyone else is having the same issue. Anyone know a lawyer to start the class action lawsuit?

jacqui248

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I am also having this problem, the screen flickers on low brightness and sometimes doesnt come on at all.... mine is still under warrany nd i have done all the resets etc etc.... will let you know what they do, going to be very annoying whatever the outcome

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you can get a class action suit, but even if it resulted in a recall, it'd be great.
Even just a firmware update to fix it would be fine.

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't count on that.
It's not unique to the S5, or even to Samsung products.
It appears to be a universal android bug, even with new versions of Android.

Postscript1973

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I am also experiencing the same problems... phone 15months old... top bar flashes and shows hints of the screen you've asked for, keyboard jumps up and down making it virtually impossible to use, and the only way to turn it off sometimes is to remove the battery because if you hold in the on/off side button the screen prompt to turn off is split and non responsive. Taking it back to Spark today to see what they will do... obviously hearing that factory resets etc are all failing... :-\

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I am also experiencing the same problems... phone 15months old... top bar flashes and shows hints of the screen you've asked for, keyboard jumps up and down making it virtually impossible to use, and the only way to turn it off sometimes is to remove the battery because if you hold in the on/off side button the screen prompt to turn off is split and non responsive. Taking it back to Spark today to see what they will do... obviously hearing that factory resets etc are all failing... :-\
What happened with your phone? Would be interested to hear what their diagnosis and solution was.

denlins

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I am also experiencing the same problems... phone 13months old... top bar flashes and shows hints of the screen of the app you've trying to open, keyboard jumps up and down making it impossible to use, and the only way to turn it off and on again and sometimes to remove the battery because if you hold in the on/off side button the screen prompt to turn off is split and non responsive. Done factory reset and wasted 6 hours restoring all apps, only to find the same thing happening. It is extremely annoying and also the fact that whatever back-up you loose your most recent call and messages logs.

Will have to book in at Samsung service centre at huge travel expenses as I have a 2 year guarantee.

denlins

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Booked in at Samsung Smart Care Centre at own cost to drive 305+ Km and toll-fees and after 2 days received back only to find the exact same problem not fixed. Now probably just have to wait 7 month till my next upgrade. Shame on Samsung service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae