Phone volume

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Suddenly, in order to hear a caller, I have to turn on the speaker in order to hear the caller. What can I do to fix the problem?

Smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S5, Lollipop 5.0, Verizon network

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Do wired or Bluetooth headsets work? If so, then the earpiece speaker might have failed.

There's no change. I still have to use the speaker in order to hear the caller. Using the headset makes no difference. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it completely silent over the earpiece speaker and headset, or is it just really low? Did you just get a system update?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Is it completely silent over the earpiece speaker and headset, or is it just really low? Did you just get a system update?

No, it's just really really low. I must turn on the speaker to hear it. The speaker works ok. Thanks for your help with this. It's driving me crazy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is obviously very basic, but I still should ask: the phone volume is turned all the way up during the call, correct?

Try toggling Verizon's Advanced Calling (their voice over LTE service) off or on.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
This is obviously very basic, but I still should ask: the phone volume is turned all the way up during the call, correct?

Try toggling Verizon's Advanced Calling (their voice over LTE service) off or on.

The volume is on maximum. I disabled ADVANCE CALLING and there is no change. I still have to use the speaker in order to hear the caller. Any other suggestions?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Since you also have the same problem when using headsets, it's clearly not just an issue with the earpiece speaker. Try a cache partition wipe, and if that doesn't work, try Safe Mode: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10404. If it persists, contact Verizon or Samsung about this.

I've wiped the partition and it didn't help.

Just thought of something. A few days ago, the door covering the USB port broke after 2 years of many openings and closing. That's when the problem started. I noticed that the door appears to be hinged right at the point where the microphone is located. I'm ordering a replacement. I'll let you know if it solves the problem. Thanks again for your help,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hope it works! But I'm a bit confused, now--you're mentioning the microphone, but I thought it was a problem with hearing the caller over the earpiece or headphones. Was the problem actually that the person you were calling couldn't hear you unless you used speakerphone?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hope it works! But I'm a bit confused, now--you're mentioning the microphone, but I thought it was a problem with hearing the caller over the earpiece or headphones. Was the problem actually that the person you were calling couldn't hear you unless you used speakerphone?

Now I'm confused. I thought the microphone at the bottom handles all calls normally. I thought the speaker was used to enhance the sound. Callers can hear me with or without the speaker being on. The headphones work the same as the smartphone. Did I clear up the problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The primary mic (near your mouth) handles normal voice calls while the secondary mic (at the top of the phone) usually provides a noise-cancelling function. But if you use speakerphone, then in most cases, the secondary mic is used as a regular mic (either in conjunction with the primary mic, or alone). This is why people can hear you on speakerphone if your primary mic is faulty.

So just to be clear--is the problem that (a) you can't hear the other person speaking to you over the earpiece mic or headphones, and can only hear them if you're on speakerphone, or (b) the other person can't hear you​ if you're not using speakerphone?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The primary mic (near your mouth) handles normal voice calls while the secondary mic (at the top of the phone) usually provides a noise-cancelling function. But if you use speakerphone, then in most cases, the secondary mic is used as a regular mic (either in conjunction with the primary mic, or alone). This is why people can hear you on speakerphone if your primary mic is faulty.

So just to be clear--is the problem that (a) you can't hear the other person speaking to you over the earpiece mic or headphones, and can only hear them if you're on speakerphone, or (b) the other person can't hear you​ if you're not using speakerphone?

"A" is the correct answer. I can't hear the caller. The voice is so weak, I have to use the speaker. My end of the conversation is ok, with or without the speaker.