My son has a Samsung Galaxy S5 (Model SM-G900M). The phone is asking for a PIN when it's turned on and we cannot get past that screen. Here is what I've tried so far:

1) I went to the Android Device Manager site and sent a request for a new pass code lock. Now, the phone's screen prompts me to enter the new code and says "Locked by Android Device Manager," but there is no way to enter a code. No matter where I tap on the screen, I am not given a chance to enter the code created through the ADM site. I am, however, able to get back to the screen to enter the PIN (the one I cannot get past).

2) I have gone to the "Find My Mobile" site provided by Samsung. My son's phone and his phone number appear on the top, left-hand side. However, if we use the "Locate my Device" or "Lock my Screen" I get this error message:

"The device is offline or network connection is unstable."

3) I have downloaded SDK and tried using ADB via Command Prompt. If I type "adb shell" I get this response:

"Error: Device Unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device."

Again, the device is locked.

4) I have downloaded and tried using Wondershare MobileTrans. It can see the device, but, when trying to do a backup to my computer, gives me this message:

"Authorization on device is required in order to continue."

Based on all this, I have to assume that USB Debugging is not enabled on this phone. I'm really trying to figure out a way to at least back up the pictures and anything else, if possible, without having to restore the phone to factory settings.

The phone does not have an SD card.

I looked into download mode as well as rooting the phone, but am reticent to try either one of those because I don't want to "brick" the phone or make it worse. I'd greatly appreciate ANY help that can be provided with this. Thank you.
    12-13-2015 05:05 PM
    I will move this to the s5 forum for more visibility
    12-13-2015 10:01 PM