OTA Update Available for VZW S5

Failure2Comply

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Anyone had any issues with signal strength after security patch? Mine seems to have less bars than before. I am getting tired of buying a phone and hoping it will get updates as they are released. I see why people want a Nexus or iPhone, just a shame the new 5x only offered 16 or 32gig models. Come August when upgrade time gets here I have some serious thinking to do.

GingerSnapsBack

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Anyone had any issues with signal strength after security patch? Mine seems to have less bars than before. I am getting tired of buying a phone and hoping it will get updates as they are released. I see why people want a Nexus or iPhone, just a shame the new 5x only offered 16 or 32gig models. Come August when upgrade time gets here I have some serious thinking to do.

Not a thing with the signal strength. I live in the middle of nowhere so I'd notice.

If this was supposed to fix the stage fright problem, whenever I still get sent videos, I get the stage fright warning. It didn't do much as far as I can tell.

monalissanne

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Would it help to take out my SD card before I do this update? I've been delaying the update every morning since it originally popped up so I could see what people said about it, but I don't know how long I want to keep doing that. Almost all of my apps and info are on my SD card so wiping it out would be upsetting.

Posted via the Android Central App

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Would it help to take out my SD card before I do this update? I've been delaying the update every morning since it originally popped up so I could see what people said about it, but I don't know how long I want to keep doing that. Almost all of my apps and info are on my SD card so wiping it out would be upsetting.

Posted via the Android Central App

Initially...as you can read above, none of my SD card apps were accessible. After about 20 minutes or so, they eventually were initialized and accessible. Perhaps I was just a one-off...I don't see any other reports of that issue here

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Initially...as you can read above, none of my SD card apps were accessible. After about 20 minutes or so, they eventually were initialized and accessible. Perhaps I was just a one-off...I don't see any other reports of that issue here

I left my sd card in and did the update (which was a security update). After phone rebooted I did a cache partition wipe. I had no issues what so ever.

Posted via Android Central App

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I left my sd card in and did the update (which was a security update). After phone rebooted I did a cache partition wipe. I had no issues what so ever.

Posted via Android Central App

I wiped the app cache and partition cache - still took some time for my SD card apps to initialize..I keep all the apps that I can on the SD card

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
When I did the update I left the card in, no issues, but I only have pictures and music on my card, which is encrypted. I also backed up first (thank you ironass)

SM-G900V
RU2B0K3 build
Verizon (obviously)
Android 5.0
Security patch level 2015-11-01

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
When I did the update I left the card in, no issues, but I only have pictures and music on my card, which is encrypted. I also backed up first (thank you ironass)

SM-G900V
RU2B0K3 build
Verizon (obviously)
Android 5.0
Security patch level 2015-11-01

Congratulations lgossin!

One less person on here that won't be coming on because they've lost data, photos, etc; and throwing a tantrum...

Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!

jimmyj352

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Just a security patch? For stagefright they pushed out the patch a couple of months ago right? Does anybody know if this breaks root?

Nevermind it does patch root. Downloading the rooted stock rom now!

If I take this update, is the only way to regain root to download a rooted stock rom? I'm not looking forward to having to redo everything on my phone again.

-- Jim

JaredTWade

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I just did the update as well (late last week) and have an issue... can't post a link due to being a newbie. Only a few additional posts down from this one.

gallojp

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Fortunately nothing is worse after my update. I'll still plagued with drop calls despite seemingly fine signal strength. I have always thought it is one of the verizon apps I can't uninstall. When my update rolls around what are the best Android options with verizon?

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If I take this update, is the only way to regain root to download a rooted stock rom? I'm not looking forward to having to redo everything on my phone again.

-- Jim

Yes to keep root you have to flash a rooted rom. I like to keep mine stock so i flashed the stock rooted rom by muniz_ri who is a recognized senior member at XDA. And as far as i know there isn't a way to root after BOD5 update and you can't downgrade to a rootable build. So if you're up to date right before this patch ( BOK3) then don't take any OTA updates. Use FlashFire to flash and i did a full wipe on my phone because it was time for me to do one. I do a wipe every 6-7 months to get rid of all the junk that builds up over time. I did mine about a week ago and i have zero issues.

There is a tutorial by muniz_ri here
[How-To] Update to G900V_OK3 - 5.0 and KeepR… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5

And the stock rooted rom here
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24337548750881089

jimmyj352

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes to keep root you have to flash a rooted rom. I like to keep mine stock so i flashed the stock rooted rom by muniz_ri who is a recognized senior member at XDA. And as far as i know there isn't a way to root after BOD5 update and you can't downgrade to a rootable build. So if you're up to date right before this patch ( BOK3) then don't take any OTA updates. Use FlashFire to flash and i did a full wipe on my phone because it was time for me to do one. I do a wipe every 6-7 months to get rid of all the junk that builds up over time. I did mine about a week ago and i have zero issues.

There is a tutorial by muniz_ri here
[How-To] Update to G900V_OK3 - 5.0 and KeepR… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5

And the stock rooted rom here
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24337548750881089

Thanks, Nuwan - I'll skip this update for now and regroup in a handful of months once Marshmallow becomes available. Thanks!!

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately nothing is worse after my update. I'll still plagued with drop calls despite seemingly fine signal strength. I have always thought it is one of the verizon apps I can't uninstall. When my update rolls around what are the best Android options with verizon?

Have you done a factory reset on your phone? It's always a good idea to do a hard factory reset after any major update and it fixes a lot of things. When 5.0 first came a lot of people had problems like battery life and their phone running hotter than before. A factory reset was the fix to a lot of those problems. And if you're rooted wipe the Dalvik cache also.

CJ Sacksteder

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
My upgrade went fine. 15 minutes start to finish; battery went from 98% to 81%. 398 apps; many on SD card, all seem to work so far. No need to clear cache or do anything else.

I feel darn lucky!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
My upgrade went fine. 15 minutes start to finish; battery went from 98% to 81%. 398 apps; many on SD card, all seem to work so far. No need to clear cache or do anything else.

I feel darn lucky!

It's only a security patch from Verizon. Not even they could muck that up... could they??? ;)

jljecj

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Downloaded update. Ran through everything fine. Finished booting. Says no update applied. Rechecked for update. Says phone up to date none available. Gave error code of 410 software not updated to BPB1. ??

Last edited: