Samsung Galaxy S5 Gets Android Marshmallow

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
"The Samsung Galaxy S5 is scheduled to get Marshmallow eventually, but some models only received Android 5.1.1 in October, meaning most customers are in for quite the wait. Even when the changes do arrive, they may ultimately taste quite a bit like TouchWiz, and that's not a flavor everyone likes having on their tongue.

Fortunately the good old standby option, flashing a custom ROM, is still around, reminding us of the perks of Android's open source foundation. CyanogenMod nightlies running Android 6.0 have made their way to the Galaxy S5, codenamed klte. The full download comes in at 286MB, not counting the GApps package you will probably want to grab as well.

Now for the caveats. These are nightlies, so they may not provide the most stable experience. Whether that bothers you or not, you will need a GSM model to dive in right away. That said, this is not intended for AT&T carrier versions, nor is it going to work for Sprint (kltespr), Verizon (kltevzw), or US Cellular (klteusc) devices. Hopefully they will get the goods at some point, but considering only the Sprint model received CyanogenMod 12.1, maybe not.
"

Source

CyanogenMod website

CyanogenMod Wikipedia

Download

Google apps (gapps)

Original thread in Samsung Galaxy S5 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks... here.

N.B. This is for experienced and competent users and may not be suitable for everyday use. AT&T and Verizon users will not receive CM13, or any other custom ROM, as they have unrootable carrier firmwares

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!"

Last edited:

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I saw the test build for 6.0.1 that was apparently accidentally released to an F variant this morning on Reddit.
If it is true it looks decent but still has the same old TouchWiz on top that all of us S5 user's are familiar with.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I saw the test build for 6.0.1 that was apparently accidentally released to an F variant this morning on Reddit.
If it is true it looks decent but still has the same old TouchWiz on top that all of us S5 user's are familiar with.

You are talking about the official stock Samsung firmware for their Galaxy S5 international version, G900F, model which Samsung are cracking along with. I am advised that the release edition will have a revamped TouchWiz overlay. More along the lines of the Google Now launcher.

EDIT: Odd! The video in the article, here, shows a CyanogenMod horned logo, briefly, at about 30 seconds in!!!

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I am surprised at how stable these CM13, Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1 nightly releases are. There are some very nice features in Android 6.0.1, not the least of which is the treatment of the external SD card as an extension of the phone's memory. As you can see from the screenshot below, it has the latest, 1 January 2016, security patch as well.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I am surprised at how stable these CM13, Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1 nightly releases are. There are some very nice features in Android 6.0.1, not the least of which is the treatment of the external SD card as an extension of the phone's memory. As you can see from the screenshot below, it has the latest, 1 January 2016, security patch as well.
Enjoy 6.0.x. We'll get it on AT&T and Verizon in 8-12 months. ;) ;)

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
If they come out with Cyanogenmod for the G900V I'll be all over that! Been waiting for a custom ROM to come out since I've been out of warranty.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If they come out with Cyanogenmod for the G900V I'll be all over that! Been waiting for a custom ROM to come out since I've been out of warranty.

No chance I'm sorry to say, cydewaze

As I mentioned in post #1, above...

"AT&T and Verizon users will not receive CM13, or any other custom ROM, as they have unrootable carrier firmwares"

Both the AT&T model, G900A, and the Verizon model, G900V, on their clone firmwares have been unrootable for nearly 18 months, since the release of Android 4.4.4, and no one has been able to crack it yet. This is why users on these models were forced to downgrade to Android 4.4.2 to effect a root. Now , even that avenue has been closed off by those two carriers.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I guess I'll just stick with my rooted 4.4.2 then!

I really do feel for you and others like you, who managed to escape the Verizon sneaky update that prevented rooting. Unfortunately, there is now, not much call for custom ROM development on your model and if you stay on Android 4.4.2, KitKat, you will have missed Lollipop and the upcoming Marshmallow not to mention 18 months of bugfix and security updates that leaves your device vulnerable. You could go to Lollipop release OG5 by flashing something like this... [VZW_Stock Based TW Rom][5.0 Lollipop BOG5 Build Deodexed]

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Traditionally, Google hide an Easter egg screen in their various Android build versions, (Settings > About phone > Android version (tap repeatedly)), and Marshmallow is no exception. The logo opens in a variety of colours.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech