Battery problem...resvisited

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I know this has been covered several times in the past, but nothing recent. Problem is since last update, battery has been running out faster than usual.
On the usage manager, the Android System is always the highest (running around 15-20%), followed by Cell Standby and Android OS. Screen is always way on the bottom. I've tried some of the possible solutions on older threads, but nothing seems to help. On another S5 in the family, both Android OS (at 2%) and Android Systems are at the bottom of the USage Mgr. The battery is OK for the first part of the day...once it reaches about 70%, it starts to lose it quickly, even if I"m not using anything on it.
Main question is: Is it the battery? Would I have better luck with a replacement? Or would have the same problems with a new battery? Or are there any newer solutions that I might be missing?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
How old is your battery? From what you described, I think a new battery for $15 from Amazon is worth a shot, plus you'll have a spare.

Posted via the Android Central App

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried doing a factory reset on your phone after the update? I know in the past when 5.0 first came out for verizon, some people had issues with the battery and maybe some other things. After a factory reset some people had some if not all of those problems resolved. I'm not sure if doing a factory reset for this specific update will solve the battery issue as some people had their issues solved from the update described above, but you can try if you want.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
This is a long shot, but I seem to experience battery drain AFTER any apps are updated from Google play app store. No clue why, but seems very consistent for me that this is the case. I've turned off auto updates now, so I control when updates are done now (e.g., when I can charge my phone and restart it, which puts battery drain back to normal like before the updates are done). Bizarre. But could your phone battery start draining more for this same thing?

Posted via the Android Central App - Verizon S5

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
" I control when updates are done now (e.g., when I can charge my phone and restart it, which puts battery drain back to normal like before the updates are done)."

It is possible that updates caused this, but it would be difficult to figure out which update to which app might be causing this. I have many of my appps set to NOT update, but I do manually update several. I don't understand what you mean by "when I can charge my phone and restart it." I suppose that it would be worthwhile to pick up another battery on Amazon, but I'm not sure that would solve the problem either.
I wish there was a way to find out which individual app was causing this, and a way to find out just what "Android Opersting System" is causing this. The battery, by the way, is just about a year old, and when I first got it, the battery was great.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Just to try to clarify. My battery begins to drain more rapidly after I do any app update from Google play store (I.e., it doesn't matter what app). The battery drain continues to be worse after these updates until I restart my phone, so that was really my only point on that. Like I mentioned, probably a long shot but figured I would share my personal experience since you had already tried typical battery drain tips.

Posted via the Android Central App - Verizon S5

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I've done just about everything except a full wipe/factory reset. As of today. I turned the phone around 7AM - it's now around 5PM and I'm at 53% with what I'd call moderate use. For some unexplained reason, on the Usage Manager, the top spots go to CHrome and Gmail, with Screen and Google Services the next two, and Android OS and Android System are below them. First time in weeks that the Androids were not on top. But...can some one tell me how accurate this "Usage Manager" really is? When I add up all the percentages of what is listed there, I get 38%. SHouldn't I be getting...well, 100%? Or are there other programs that added up together make up the difference? I would just like to know exactly what is eating up the battery. My partner's S5, maybe six months newer than mine, has been turned on the same amount of time with just a bit less usage, and he's still at 85% (admittedly with fewer apps).

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've done just about everything except a full wipe/factory reset. As of today. I turned the phone around 7AM - it's now around 5PM and I'm at 53% with what I'd call moderate use. For some unexplained reason, on the Usage Manager, the top spots go to CHrome and Gmail, with Screen and Google Services the next two, and Android OS and Android System are below them. First time in weeks that the Androids were not on top. But...can some one tell me how accurate this "Usage Manager" really is? When I add up all the percentages of what is listed there, I get 38%. SHouldn't I be getting...well, 100%? Or are there other programs that added up together make up the difference? I would just like to know exactly what is eating up the battery. My partner's S5, maybe six months newer than mine, has been turned on the same amount of time with just a bit less usage, and he's still at 85% (admittedly with fewer apps).

Depending on my usage, after 7am-4:30pm, I am down to around 65% remaining. I find that if I disable BT, Wifi, and Location services, I can get +/- 10% improvement.

Battery drainers for me are navigation and games.

I agree regarding the battery manager-the numbers never add up for me either.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, the battery part of the Usage Manager is completely useless. Yesterday, the Android OS and Android System were both at 1% all day...they're usually around 10% or higher. Yet, the actual battery usage was exactly the same as the day before. So it makes no sense, and there doesn't seem to be any way to find out exactly what it's supposed to mean.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995