Note 4 on Verizon recently got 5.1.1, will the S5 on Verizon get it soon?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Nope, there's no telling when. Verizon's answer is always the same BS:

Getting the latest update is nice treat for your phone. Updates are pushed out after they have been thoroughly tested from Verizon. We would hate for you to get an update and additional issues occur. You can sign up for notification for when the latest updates are available via the Samsung Galaxy S 5 Software Update Benefits | Verizon Wireless website.

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

See the following thread:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1322738#1322738

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone think it would make a difference if enough of us gathered a petition letter together signed by everyone and sent it to verizon to ask for them to send the 5.1.1 update to us and to also unlock the bootloader?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Anyone think it would make a difference if enough of us gathered a petition letter together signed by everyone and sent it to verizon to ask for them to send the 5.1.1 update to us and to also unlock the bootloader?

Lets just think about this petition idea for a moment.

So, you start a petition to get Verizon to release Android 5.1.1

You give it say a month to get enough signatures.

In mid February you submit this petition to Verizon.

At the beginning of March, Verizon decide to grant your wish and start the 2+ month process of adding the bloatware and changing the stock firmware.

In the middle of May, Verizon start to roll out Android 5.1.1 to their customers who wonder why they are getting Android 5.1.1 when Samsung are releasing Marshmallow to their worldwide Galaxy S5 models.

So, you start another petition to get Verizon to release Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow.

Sounds like a plan to me.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Buddy of mine has a Note 4, and he could not tell one difference going to 5.1.1 from 5.0.1

Posted via the Android Central App

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

At the beginning of March, Verizon decide to grant your wish and start the 2+ month process of adding the bloatware and changing the stock firmware.

In the middle of May, Verizon start to roll out Android 5.1.1 to their customers who wonder why they are getting Android 5.1.1 when Samsung are releasing Marshmallow to their worldwide Galaxy S5 models.

So, you start another petition to get Verizon to release Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow.

Lol, you're right. Could be too late to petition for the update. By then I may get a new phone such as the s7.

But how at least petitioning for an unlocked bootloader? Maybe a conversation for another topic.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Lol, you're right. Could be too late to petition for the update. By then I may get a new phone such as the s7.

But how at least petitioning for an unlocked bootloader? Maybe a conversation for another topic.

Whatever phone you get - stay away from phones that rely on OTA updates from Verizon. Look at a Nexus or Motorola Pure

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Whatever phone you get - stay away from phones that rely on OTA updates from Verizon. Look at a Nexus or Motorola Pure

The problem for me with that is I want IMO the best screen in the business (samsung's super amoled) and one of the best cameras (also samsung) and neither of those two phones have that. I also want other features that samsung provides too that come in TouchWiz and other stuff.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
The problem for me with that is I want IMO the best screen in the business (samsung's super amoled) and one of the best cameras (also samsung) and neither of those two phones have that. I also want other features that samsung provides too that come in TouchWiz and other stuff.

Well, perhaps you can look at buying a stock Galaxy device that supports VW. My point is - if your phone relies on VW for updates, you won't be happy. If you don't care about having the latest and greatest OS, then it is a mute point.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, perhaps you can look at buying a stock Galaxy device that supports VW. My point is - if your phone relies on VW for updates, you won't be happy. If you don't care about having the latest and greatest OS, then it is a mute point.

The only problem with that idea is that off the top of my head, I cannot think of any stock Samsung Galaxy S5 that would support Verizon's CDMA network as most networks worldwide are GSM. Even the one's that are still on CDMA are either switching to GSM or just closing them down. The other CDMA phones that Samsung do market for CDMA, such as China, are not compatible with Verizon's network.

Unlike AT&T who are GSM and the stock Samsung model, G900M, works great on the AT&T network and doesn't have all the bloatware and carrier modifications, on unbranded firmware, and is updated directly by Samsung.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Verizon s5 phones can switch to GSM in the settings

Correct... however, stock Samsung GSM phones cannot switch to CDMA and so therefore, are not compatible with the Verizon CDMA network. Hence, no stock, unbranded, Samsung S5 will run on the Verizon network.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
So you're confirming - there is no stock CDMA Galaxy phone that is unlocked, unbranded?

Seems odd to me that they would only make a GSM unlocked device and not a CDMA, though I can understand the rationale here...GSM is 90% of the world.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
So you're confirming - there is no stock CDMA Galaxy phone that is unlocked, unbranded?

Seems odd to me that they would only make a GSM unlocked device and not a CDMA, though I can understand the rationale here...GSM is 90% of the world.

Correct.

IIRC, Samsung Galaxy S5 CDMA models are G900V for Verizon, G900R4 for US Cellular, G900P for Sprint and G9009D for China Telecom... all branded. The G900R4 is compatible with the Verizon network on 2 & 3G and should work OK on 4G/LTE on band 4 AWS and band 2, 1900MHz, if available. CDMA , owned largely by the chip maker Qualcomm, had the death knell sounded for it as far back as 1987, when Europe mandated GSM as the cell technology and has now been adopted by the vast majority of countries and networks, worldwide. CDMA is the Betamax equivalent of cell networks and is rapidly dying out globally.

Last edited:

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Correct.

IIRC, Samsung Galaxy S5 CDMA models are G900V for Verizon, G900R4 for US Cellular, G900P for Sprint and G9009D for China Telecom... all branded. The G900R4 is compatible with the Verizon network on 2 & 3G and should work OK on 4G/LTE on band 4 AWS and band 2, 1900MHz, if available. CDMA , owned largely by the chip maker Qualcomm, had the death knell sounded for it as far back as 1987, when Europe mandated GSM as the cell technology and has now been adopted by the vast majority of countries and networks, worldwide. CDMA is the Betamax equivalent of cell networks and is rapidly dying out globally.

wow, either someone slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, or you really know what you're talking about.

So what is VZW going to do when their network becomes obsolete? Their customers who travel overseas would be furious to no end. Plus they spent a lot of our money building their network. Frankly, most of the other carriers don't cover some of the places I travel....which is why I put up with VZW's crap.

Just looking for options..

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
wow, either someone slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, or you really know what you're talking about.

So what is VZW going to do when their network becomes obsolete? Their customers who travel overseas would be furious to no end. Plus they spent a lot of our money building their network. Frankly, most of the other carriers don't cover some of the places I travel....which is why I put up with VZW's crap.

Just looking for options..

As wellons1 mentions in post #12, above, the G900V can switch to GSM and will be compatible with most worldwide 2G & 3G networks but not 4G/LTE.

Until Verizon face competition in areas such as yours, they can keep their CDMA network going as it is Hobson's Choice for customers.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Couldn't have said it better!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol