Is there a way on a PC to read a smart switch backup file?

A

AC Question

I don't want to restore it ... just see the contents! I sent my S5 off for repair. Before that I used Smart Switch to back it up. I purchased a Gusto 3 to used while the S5 is being repaired. Now, with my Gusto, I need access the my contacts from the S5.

Samsung says that they do not have a way to restore the backup to a Gusto, nor can they read the backup file in a way that I can understand it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Smart Switch file formats are proprietary, not human-readable, so you won't be able to read them. But, as dumpedduce said, if you backed Google contacts up to Google, they should sync to any Android device you put on that account. Go to Google Contacts and see if they're there.

NOPLO

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Actually after backing up my Galaxy S4 mini with Smart Switch I was able to locate my contacts in one of the backup folders (Temp Files) located on my PC. The contacts were in an .xml file that I opened and verified that the file included all 447 contacts. The next day I could not find the Temp File folder so it appears that it was somehow deleted... not sure how. I backed up the same phone a second time and after the second backup I could not find the Temp Files folder as expected. It would very helpful if someone could explain what is going on. Once I see the contacts xml file I will copy it to another location for safe keeping. Thanx

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax