06-25-2016 05:23 AM
116 1234 ...
tools
    You are quite welcome!
    06-08-2016 10:56 AM
    06-08-2016 11:17 AM
    I've heard a few horror stories about that procedure, so I think I'll wait for the OTA version, but thanks for your input.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon
    recDNA and H3aTeRzz like this.
    06-08-2016 11:38 AM
    I would strongly beg to differ as I use this method myself to update all the time over the years and never experienced a problem yet, unlike bad downloads of OTA updates that can be corrupt and cause problems. The choice, as they say, is yours.
    Feldon likes this.
    06-08-2016 01:20 PM
    I would strongly beg to differ as I use this method myself to update all the time over the years and never experienced a problem yet, unlike bad downloads of OTA updates that can be corrupt and cause problems. The choice, as they say, is yours.
    Thanks for your input.

06-08-2016 03:31 PM
    I'm reading that there is an update problem from Verizon Lollipop to Marshmallow. Apparently, some users have experienced a lock out, even if their system had no lock screen to begin with. Anyone else with the problem? Thanks.

06-10-2016 02:36 PM
    Am I the only person that hasn't received notification of the Marshmallow Update? The phone was purchased at a verizon store and is not rooted. Anyone with a similar system still waiting? Thanks.

06-13-2016 07:30 AM
    Am I the only person that hasn't received notification of the Marshmallow Update? The phone was purchased at a verizon store and is not rooted. Anyone with a similar system still waiting? Thanks.

Have you checked for a new system update or are you just waiting for a notification?
    06-13-2016 07:50 AM
    Yes, I've been waiting for the notification and checked for the update. For the past 6 months, I've had a notification that a security update for Lollipop is available but I haven't installed it because there's problems with it and it wouldn't enhance 5.0. Could that be why I haven't been notified. Thanks.

06-13-2016 11:20 AM
    That is most likely the reason why then. You already have an update ready that you need to install first. Once that's installed, wait a few days then check again and you will (99% guaranteed) receive another update notification.

Or do what was suggested in a couple of other posts and flash it manually straight up to Marshmallow.
    06-13-2016 11:46 AM
    I've been told that because I have an security update lurking in my system update section, it's blocking the notification for Marshmallow. If that's true,is there a way to remove the 6 months old update without installing the old Lollipop security update.

06-13-2016 02:56 PM
    why not install the update and then install marshmallow? Or back up your phone and do a factory reset, then install marshmallow. I just replaced my phone and as soon as I brought it up I checked for updates and the marshmallow update downloaded. Then I restored through Samsung smart switch. Lost some app data but not all and it was relatively easy.

SM-G900V
    RU2DPD1
    May 1, 2016 security
    android 6.01
    Verizon
    06-13-2016 03:59 PM
    is there a way to remove the 6 months old update without installing the old Lollipop security update.
    I don't understand why you are so adamant to try and skip the last lollipop update if you're only going to jump up to Marshmallow anyway? You're only making life more difficult for yourself by not following the various steps and suggestions by the community here in the several threads that this has been discussed in.
    Feldon likes this.
    06-14-2016 08:34 AM
    Since I know, from numerous previous posts, that IMANUT46 does not have ready availability to a PC and will not use Odin, as I suggested, to flash the latest firmware directly to his phone, then the options are limited to backing as much as possible up to the cloud and accepting the sequential updates to Lollipop and then Marshmallow.

See, also...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ow-update.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...ackup-now.html
    can3gxw likes this.
    06-14-2016 10:04 AM
    Since I know, from numerous previous posts, that IMANUT46 does not have ready availability to a PC and will not use Odin
    Yes, I understand this too - but has also stated in many other posts that he will not install the "latest" Lollipop update because of some issues reported by various users. If this update is a problem, and he is planning to upgrade to 6.0.1, then the "issue" is moot because it will be erased as soon as Marshmallow is installed.
    ironass likes this.
    06-14-2016 10:32 AM
    Yes, I understand this too - but has also stated in many other posts that he will not install the "latest" Lollipop update because of some issues reported by various users. If this update is a problem, and he is planning to upgrade to 6.0.1, then the "issue" is moot because it will be erased as soon as Marshmallow is installed.
    Correctomundo can3gxw. I was trying to preempt any other suggestions, including flashing firmware via Odin. I'll get me coat!
    can3gxw likes this.
    06-14-2016 12:19 PM
    Update on Marshmallow

I'll make a long story short. The advice I received here worked. There were a few maddening moments, but overall, I was finally able to install Marshmallow. I believe the uninstalled 5.0 update from 6 months ago created the problems. After 3 attempts to install 6.0.1, it finally succeeded.

Your persistent help to this hard-headed worry wart is much appreciated. Thanks again.

can3gxw and ironass like this.
    06-14-2016 12:42 PM
    Woohoo! I love happy endings. Glad you're on board with the sticky gooiness that is Marshmallow! Now before you do ANYTHING, do a factory reset to be sure that any lingering Lollipops have been eaten. Then go about your day and enjoy your brand new phone.
    ironass likes this.
    06-14-2016 01:39 PM
    I have 2 year old instructions on how to clean the cache. I just tried it because I upgraded to Marshmallow. I last used it after I upgraded to Lollipop. It gave me strange screens so I interrupted the process. How do I clean the cache with Marshmallow? Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Marshmallow 6.0.1 Verizon
    06-14-2016 02:44 PM
    I simply go to Settings/Storage/Cached data and click it then click Ok.
    06-14-2016 02:53 PM
    I simply go to Settings/Storage/Cached data and click it then click Ok.
    I'm aware of that and clean the cache weekly. There used to be a procedure in where you would press the power Key, volume Key and the home Key simultaneously. I assume it's no longer available.

06-14-2016 04:18 PM
    See #1.3 of S5 Update Problems - Dummies Guide for step-by-step instructions and video.
    06-14-2016 04:24 PM
    That procedure is a complete recovery. To keep my "available" space fairly stable I do the clean cache and use CCleaner to do this.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-14-2016 05:18 PM
    I recently upgraded to Android Marshmallow 6.01. I want to change what happens when I use the SHARE command. I've read all the instructions but they refer to items that my system doesn't have. I. E. COG wheel on the app settings screen. I'm trying to change what happens when I select the SHARE icon, especially in news readers. Can anyone help? Thanks.

06-15-2016 06:56 AM
    Do you have any specific examples of what and where you're trying to share? My thought was that the "share" option was app specific, and perhaps the app developer has not properly updated the app for Marshmallow. I have a couple of apps that didn't work all that great when I upgraded, but reinstalling fixed the issue.

Have you done a factory reset on your phone yet? If not, maybe try uninstalling the app and reinstalling? You might get a better version.

What newsreader app are you using? Where are you trying to share it to? Maybe I can try to reproduce it...
    06-15-2016 07:17 AM
116 1234 ...