Galaxy S5 installing custom ROM

vpavlicevic

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
So I want to install CyanogenMod on my Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F and I have some questions.
Would I need to root my phone to do this?
Can I get back to stock TouchWiz software in future?
Would this void my warranty?
Because this is my first time doing this do you have some other tips for me?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Forums vpavlicevic :)

So I want to install CyanogenMod on my Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F and I have some questions.
Would I need to root my phone to do this?

Backup everything on your phone prior to rooting or flashing the CM13 Marshmallow ROM, which requires a Factory Data Reset before installing. See, Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!

To root your phone you will need to flash a rooted CF-Auto-Root kernel for your model of phone, via Odin. See, [SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root

You will also need to flash a custom recovery, such as TWRP, for your phone. See, TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S5 Qualcomm

Make a note of your firmware and Product code in case you need to revert to stock. See, #1.8 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Make a nandroid backup to your external SD card using TWRP.

Can I get back to stock TouchWiz software in future?

Yes, by downloading and flashing your stock Samsung firmware, mentioned above or by restoring your nandroid backup.

Would this void my warranty?

Yes, as it will trip the Knox Security flag. Not even by reverting to stock firmware can you un-trip it.

Because this is my first time doing this do you have some other tips for me?

For links and details of the Marshmallow, CM13, CyanogenMod ROM, see, Samsung Galaxy S5 gets Marshmallow

These ROMs are released nightly and are beta test ROMs and require some amount of experience and a lot of reading of the various threads before flashing.

Read, read, read, everything before asking questions, rooting or attempting to flash CM13 and/or gapps.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Flash in haste, replace phone at leisure sometimes. :)

@vpavlicevic - read reviews of Marshmallow and of CM13 before you flash. A lot of people seem to be dissatisfied with 6.0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy