Rooted Galaxy S5 charging but not recognized by PC, how can I fix this?

Cl0ud

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Rooted Galaxy S5 charging but not recognized by PC

I can't get my Galaxy S5 G900A to be recognized by my PC at all. The only thing it's able to do is charge. I flashed Lollipop 5.0 firmware with root via Odin a few months ago. Just recently the phone was acting pretty strange with charging. At first I was only able to charge the phone by connecting it to the PC. Now it's somehow randomly able to charge no matter what I plug it into. Because of the problems it had charging, I discovered that my PC isn't able to detect my phone. I've tried everything. Different usb cables, different computers, safe mode, download mode, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, restarting the PC, enabling USB debugging (on and off), restarting my phone, factory resetting my phone, using ADB to attempt to detect it... Nothing worked. I have no idea what to do now. I just want to either update the phone or flash a custom ROM and I haven't found any way to do it. My root doesn't allow me to update. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? It's been really stressful.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Rooted Galaxy S5 charging but not recognized by PC

I can't get my Galaxy S5 G900A to be recognized by my PC at all. The only thing it's able to do is charge. I flashed Lollipop 5.0 firmware with root via Odin a few months ago. Just recently the phone was acting pretty strange with charging. At first I was only able to charge the phone by connecting it to the PC. Now it's somehow randomly able to charge no matter what I plug it into. Because of the problems it had charging, I discovered that my PC isn't able to detect my phone. I've tried everything. Different usb cables, different computers, safe mode, download mode, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, restarting the PC, enabling USB debugging (on and off), restarting my phone, factory resetting my phone, using ADB to attempt to detect it... Nothing worked. I have no idea what to do now. I just want to either update the phone or flash a custom ROM and I haven't found any way to do it. My root doesn't allow me to update. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? It's been really stressful.

Hello and welcome to Android Central Cl0ud!

You are indeed, as they say, "Between a rock and a hard place", with your rooted AT&T, G900A, phone.

O.K. I do not have the G900A model, (thankfully!), and am just thinking aloud as to your options.

Thanks to your carrier, you cannot download and flash your stock firmware unless you are able to go back to Android 4.4.2, NCE, release. Even if you could, somehow, connect to Odin with your present USB issues and flash this firmware you would need to immediately flash a rooted AT&T ROM as otherwise you will automatically be updated to the un-rootable stock AT&T, Android 5.0/5.1.1, firmware.

I also believe that AT&T have removed the, "*#0808#", code that can be entered into the dial pad that allows you to access the, "USB Settings", menu.

I also am given to understand that the AT&T bootloader does not allow for a custom recovery such as TWRP that would allow you to download and flash .zip ROMs directly from your phone.

Without a custom recovery you will not have been able to make a nandroid backup that you could revert to, to get you back to an earlier, working, state.

Not knowing the precise rooting method you used, I am reluctant to suggest a Factory Data Reset to see if that would help with your USB issue as I cannot be sure of the implications for this. I know that on a stock Samsung firmware, using CF-Auto-Root, it does not affect it but doing so on your rooted G900A may cause even more issues. Best to check this out on the forum that you used for your original root/upgrade.

You cannot take it to AT&T under warranty, if you still have one as the U.S. only has a 1 year warranty as opposed to, say, Europe's 2 year warranty, as they will immediately see that your phone has been rooted. Having said that, this may be your only option at the end of the day as they will be able to install the latest Android 5.1.1 firmware, albeit, unrootable, to get your phone working properly. I did read on another forum, where a guy on AT&T screwed up his phone so badly in an attempt to get it working, that it would not boot and when he finally took it to AT&T, they assumed that it was a stock AT&T firmware update that had gone bad, a notion that he did nothing to dispel, and flashed his phone, free of charge.

The above is assuming that it is not actually your phone's USB port that is damaged in some way and needs replacing.Try using a fine needle to, "carefully", clean out any crud from your USB port or use an air duster and with the aid of a magnifying glass, check for bent or broken pins.

I am afraid that my post has not been of any real help to you, except maybe to confirm what you already knew.

Perhaps one of my colleagues on here can suggest something or point out something obvious that I may have missed. In the meantime, backup as much as you can without a USB connection. to the cloud.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC