Recommended replacement parts suppliers?

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site
It finally happened, I dropped my phone and cracked the glass :'( . After looking into ATT's insurance and deciding I don't want the headache I read about so many people dealing with with Asurion, and then seeing local phone shops want $200+ to replace the glass, I think I'm going to do it myself. I have found quite a few websites that sell parts for the S5, but I'm wondering who can be trusted with all of the fake/low quality/ garbage that's out there in the electronics industry. Even though I cracked only the glass and the screen itself is fine, I'm looking at buying the whole LCD assembly because the glass removal procedure looks risky and I'd hate to crack the LCD while removing the glass.

So far I have these picked out:
Samsung Galaxy S5 LCD Screen & Digitizer Touch Panel Black - DirectFix
Galaxy S5 Black LCD and Touch Screen Assembly
http://www.replacementlcds.com/sams...tools-white/?gclid=CPDr_pru08oCFYcBaQodqYYJWg

Do any of you have experience with any of these suppliers or another one? Thanks in advance.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, I would not be surprised to learn that they are all selling the exact same part manufactured by the exact same manufacturer; quite probably the original manufacturer. After all, how many different companies would bother to tool up to manufacture a replacement camera or screen for any one specific device? What would be the potential sales level for anything other than an iPhone/iPad (with their huge numbers of identical devices in the field)?

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Frankly, I would not be surprised to learn that they are all selling the exact same part manufactured by the exact same manufacturer; quite probably the original manufacturer. After all, how many different companies would bother to tool up to manufacture a replacement camera or screen for any one specific device? What would be the potential sales level for anything other than an iPhone/iPad (with their huge numbers of identical devices in the field)?

You would indeed be surprised. From what I've read there are counterfeit Galaxy S5s, that means counterfeit parts, as well as the ever present used parts taken off of refurbish jobs and QC rejects. Manufacturing in countries like Thailand, China, Indonesia is interesting. You can source the same component from two factories, one that meets specs, and one that was manufactured using worn out or outdated tooling and is either functionally crippled or won't last. It's something I deal with from time to time sourcing components in my field. The electronics industry is confusing at the best of times and depressing at worst.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar