Software updates after carrier change

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon S5. Contract up in May. Should I change carriers, say to ATT, who would I get Android updates from? Would an ATT update be compatible with the installed Verizon version?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It's still very much a Verizon phone. And given that Verizon updates generally require a Verizon SIM to be installed, it may be a dicey proposition.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a Verizon S5. Contract up in May. Should I change carriers, say to ATT, who would I get Android updates from? Would an ATT update be compatible with the installed Verizon version?

The Verizon CDMA model, G900V, of Galaxy S5 can only accept Verizon firmware OTA if you are registered on the Verizon Network. See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. You can, however, download the firmware and flash it via Odin as described in #1.11 of the aforementioned guide. On no account, attempt to flash AT&T's GSM , or any other firmware, to your Verizon phone.

Last edited:

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. I have no complaints with Verizon so I will most likely stay with them. Or do like the rest of the lemmings and buy the latest and greatest in May. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay