How can I undo the Samsung software update?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,
I made this account to join on the thread because i have just had the "update" to 7.0 aswell myself. I am hugely disappointed and I hope android will come with some support on their screw-up. I hope they will come with an easy way to undo their update or come with an update similar to 6.0.

I am also disappointed that people are bashing a great phone after a "crappy upgrade to Nougat" since there is no official upgrade to Android 7 on the Galaxy S5.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Cami L

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
My S5 has also upgraded to nougat this past weekend (I am Canadian) and words do not exist to sufficiently express how much I hate it. The lock screen clock format in particular is painful for me to look at, it is stacked format and I cannot find a way to change it back. Is there any way at all to undo this? Any solution for any other operating system?

Squirt70

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I'd just like to know who to complain to! Verizon says It's Samsung and they say its Google's fault. So who do you call, email or get in touch with to complain??

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Undo samsung software update

Doesn't matter who you complain to. The phone isn't going to go back. You'd have to manually flash a copy of the old OS.

imwoody36

Jan 15, 2023
Visit site
me too! annoying nags on my texts, missing photos, unexpected new folders, unexpected new games,
going to the att store in person...not really expecting any help...im ready to throw it for a flip (non smart)phone

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Undo samsung software update

Are you still using an S5? That device is 9 years old, so it is probably incompatible with most modern carrier networks. Additionally, support will be ending or has already ended for most apps. Your best option at this time is to upgrade to a newer device.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
me too! annoying nags on my texts, missing photos, unexpected new folders, unexpected new games,
going to the att store in person...not really expecting any help...im ready to throw it for a flip (non smart)phone

Welcome to Android Central! The pace of updates from manufacturers like Samsung and for the Android OS itself means that you'll always be seeing new features or modifications to the UI. This is the nature of the technology. If you don't want to see that, then I would agree that a featurephone is probably the better choice for you.

Also, there are many people on this forum who are ready to help, even with the most basic of questions. So ask away.:)

imwoody36

Jan 15, 2023
Visit site
`i did not realize this thread was so old, im using an s20. can anyone recommend a feature phone that does 3 things, phone, text, camera. ill miss maps but i value the control i have lost.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here are a couple of recent articles about recommended featurephones:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-dumbphone
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-dumb-phones-1117854/

Not many of them have decent cameras, though, and some don't have any camera at all.

Another option would be to go with a manufacturer that is known to be terrible with update frequency, since that seems to be your main reservation. Motorola makes generally good phones, but doesn't update them very often (especially the midrange or budget ones).

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
`i did not realize this thread was so old, im using an s20. can anyone recommend a feature phone that does 3 things, phone, text, camera. ill miss maps but i value the control i have lost.
Something really messed up. If you have the S20, then I assume you're talking about the update from One UI 4.x (Android 12) to One UI 5 (Android 13).

None of those things you mentioned should have happened. I have a branded AT&T S20 FE, and got that update just over a week ago. My phone stayed pretty much exactly the same. No new folders, all photos are still there, no added games, no text nags... I fact I'm not sure why any of that would happen to you. It's not something that's common either, or I would have seen much more about it here and in the AT&T support forum (which I also visit frequently). Especially the lost photos - that would have been big news if that was widely reported.

I've got pretty good control of my phone so that nothing happens that I don't want to happen.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC