How can I undo the Samsung software update?

A

AC Question

Undo samsung software update

On Tuesday morning I woke up to my galaxy S5 demanding I download and install the latest software update, I had just woken up so obliged and began the install - it took about 20-30 minutes.

The update has ruined my phone! :(
1. The user interface and theme is now horrible. The way notifications and notifications widgets are displayed is noisy and obtrusive. The theme for all my default apps such as Phone calls, SMS, etc. is bright white - this is painful to look at and navigate through.
2. The internet app has changed, the view and zoom level has increased and can't be fixed. The UI is also noisier and less user friendly.
3. More bloatware! (e.g. Papergarden).

I've searched heaps online but can't find anything regarding reverting to previous software versions, all the search results are about installing KitKat from Lollipop.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to undo this software update and return to normal? I'm prepared to route my phone to resolve this.

I know it may sound like I'm overreacting but I just hate my phone now, I've had 3 days to adjust and can't get over it :mad:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Undo samsung software update

It's unclear from your post exactly what OS you got updated from. I'm assuming you were updated to some version of Lollipop, but from what OS? I personally don't think you're overreacting as I also hate the "white blindness" and funky UI of Lollipop... that's why I locked my Note 4 and 10.1 to Kitkat.

The sad part is that several carriers have incremented the bootloader in LP, and because of it, the OS cannot be downgraded. However, it all depends on what version of LP your phone is currently at. I have no experience with the S5, so even if you posted your OS version, I wouldn't be able to tell you straight off if you can still downgrade. We can search though!

Parbattie12

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
How can i undo the new software frm my phone plz help me i dont like i....samsung s6 edge

On Tuesday morning I woke up to my galaxy S5 demanding I download and install the latest software update, I had just woken up so obliged and began the install - it took about 20-30 minutes.

1. The user interface and theme is now horrible. The way notifications and notifications widgets are displayed is noisy and obtrusive. The theme for all my default apps such as Phone calls, SMS, etc. is bright white - this is painful to look at and navigate through.
2. The internet app has changed, the view and zoom level has increased and can't be fixed. The UI is also noisier and less user friendly.

I've searched heaps online but can't find anything regarding reverting to previous software versions, all the search results are about installing KitKat from Lollipop.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to undo this software update and return to normal? I'm prepared to route my phone to resolve this.

I know it may sound like I'm overreacting but I just hate my phone now, I've had 3 days to adjust and can't get over it :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruello

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
It's unclear from your post exactly what OS you got updated from. I'm assuming you were updated to some version of Lollipop, but from what OS? I personally don't think you're overreacting as I also hate the "white blindness" and funky UI of Lollipop... that's why I locked my Note 4 and 10.1 to Kitkat.

The sad part is that several carriers have incremented the bootloader in LP, and because of it, the OS cannot be downgraded. However, it all depends on what version of LP your phone is currently at. I have no experience with the S5, so even if you posted your OS version, I wouldn't be able to tell you straight off if you can still downgrade. We can search though!

I also despise the new update. And I also have the Note 4. I hate the look of it and the sounds thay changed that I can't change back. And the whole setup of the internet app sucks.

Did you figure out a way to revert? Thanks for any help.

Don't know why they keep trying to fix something that ain't broke.

Last edited by a moderator:

lm Gmail

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
This has been my worst experience with an update yet! I let it install automatically overnight on the 17th and on the 18th my phone would power off for no reason. 68% battery. I could not make calls or anything! Verizon couldn't fix it without doing a factory reset. I just got another phone. I need my passwords! I can't log into ANYTHING! My passwords are in the cloud and too stubborn to comedown like my pictures. Then I was told, while trying to stop the update to my new cheap little Samsung phone, that your phone has to have 20% of its storage and 100% charge to take the update. Whaaaat??? I needed to know that beforehand! Such stupidity! I love my Samsung Note 4 but I am hating Samsung right now!

mdjonesiii

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
please click on the link below, I'm trying to get enough of us to protest against Samsung until they offer the U.S. the same as they have done for South Korea. They have offered them an automatic upgrade to the note 8 if they trade the note 7 in now. I contacted Samsung America and they confirmed this information.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-8-will-still-arrive-in-2017/

Above is the link of the offer to South Korea which I feel U.S. Customers should be entitled to. Please pass link on to all your note users and friends

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
please click on the link below, I'm trying to get enough of us to protest against Samsung until they offer the U.S. the same as they have done for South Korea. They have offered them an automatic upgrade to the note 8 if they trade the note 7 in now. I contacted Samsung America and they confirmed this information.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-8-will-still-arrive-in-2017/

Above is the link of the offer to South Korea which I feel U.S. Customers should be entitled to. Please pass link on to all your note users and friends

Hello and welcome to Android Central mdjonesiii!

You might want to think about posting on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 forum as, by-and-large, Galaxy S5 users are not your target audience.

Frank Gadman

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
This new update completely sucks it happened to my phone as well who did this was it Sprint or Samsung they need to fix this I hate my phone now everything is white and blinding no fun at all

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
This new update completely sucks it happened to my phone as well who did this was it Sprint or Samsung they need to fix this I hate my phone now everything is white and blinding no fun at all

You have a carrier branded minority variant of the Galaxy S5 as per #1.5 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide . To downgrade you will need to download and flash the previous firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product codes, as per #1.11 of the aforementioned link.

Seison626

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Undo samsung software update

I also HATE the update so I am following this thread!!

Seison626

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Horrible, horrible, horrible update!!!! I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and am hoping to see someone post "undo" directions. I LOVED my phone until now!

aahammel

Mar 11, 2017
Visit site
I agree. This latest update has ruined a lot of my previous phone settings. For one, the theme I'm using, a TouchWiz, dark version, which I thought was still Samsung related, in-house stuff, is now not properly applied to all aspects of the phone. The messages top screen is unreadable. Other areas of the phone are also unreadable. Also, the calendar app I'm using, Simple Calendar, something like that, had a few of its settings changed upon updating the phone. The font text changed (I resized back to my liking), and the widget layout has become center justified, for which I cannot find a solution other than choosing a default layout (not the one I want). I'm sure there are even more problems I just haven't found yet. And the pluses to this update, I don't really see any. I should not have updated! What a mess!

Siggy_1963

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
I registered to this website just to reply you oh my god I agree :'( My S7 edge is HORRIBLE now I want to go back too please after the latest update

Me too!!! I allowed my phone to install the update overnight and now so many things have changed that I absolutely hate this update. Why is there no option to rollback an update? Grrrr.
I had folders set up a certain way and they were changed with tiny little icons. All the color is gone from the Edge people buttons which helped me quickly distinguish between contacts. Everything is white, the font is changed as well, to a harsh looking bold black on blinding white background. I actually had to turn down my phone's brightness because it was hurting my eyes.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge with Android version 7.0 and the latest Software version is G925P.02 I have no clue what that is, I can't find anything about Marshmallows or Lollipops.

It already took me a long time to adjust to the Samsung phone after switching carriers and having to give up my beloved LG Lucid. I loved the version of Accuweather with it's colorful fun animations. Unfortunately that version was not available for the Galaxy phone and I'm stuck with a boring white on blue version. Just when I thought I've gotten used to the Galaxy S6 Edge and customized it to the way I like it, they go and do a stupid update to ruin it. Ugh!
Why?