brightness problem, especially when in dim mode.

pontypool

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
A display problem has occured recently. When the brightness of the screen is set to minimum/very low, one side of the screen appears a little brighter and flickers, starting from the same side as the home button, it seems to get darker 1 bar at a time, until the display is consistently the minimum brightness. (without being able to post a screenshot i cant explain better)

problem more noticeable when the phone is idle for a while and automatically goes dim

I have tried starting in safe mode (however whats app was running and i thought no apps run in safe mode but the disable safe mode button was there to so idk) anyway the display problem was still present.

android version 5.0

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
A display problem has occured recently. When the brightness of the screen is set to minimum/very low, one side of the screen appears a little brighter and flickers, starting from the same side as the home button, it seems to get darker 1 bar at a time, until the display is consistently the minimum brightness. (without being able to post a screenshot i cant explain better)

problem more noticeable when the phone is idle for a while and automatically goes dim

I have tried starting in safe mode (however whats app was running and i thought no apps run in safe mode but the disable safe mode button was there to so idk) anyway the display problem was still present.

android version 5.0
I have had the same issue for a few months. Google search for the terms "Galaxy s5 screen flicker" and you will find many posts across many Android fora saying the same thing.
The only solution is to replace the display. The flickering is a hardware failure, not a software problem.
I haven't replaced my screen, and I'm relieved that the flickering hasn't gotten worse. Turning up the brightness on my screen stops the flickers, and I use an app called Screen Filter to control the excess brightness.
Im holding out as long as I can for the S7 Edge or the next Note, whatever looks better when this phone dies. I've been extremely pleased with my S5, all things considered. I got it in May 2014 and it's been a great phone. My only problem has been the screen flicker.

pontypool

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issue for a few months. Google search for the terms "Galaxy s5 screen flicker" and you will find many posts across many Android fora saying the same thing.
The only solution is to replace the display. The flickering is a hardware failure, not a software problem.
I haven't replaced my screen, and I'm relieved that the flickering hasn't gotten worse. Turning up the brightness on my screen stops the flickers, and I use an app called Screen Filter to control the excess brightness.
Im holding out as long as I can for the S7 Edge or the next Note, whatever looks better when this phone dies. I've been extremely pleased with my S5, all things considered. I got it in May 2014 and it's been a great phone. My only problem has been the screen flicker.

Have you actually tried replacing the display? From what I can see it looks very easy. You can get a replace kit on amazon, which is only about 10 bucks. it has the suction device (for lifting the screen) and thin long tools which you use to prize the screen off, also the pack contains adhesive strips, because you are going to be removing yours when you use a hot air dryer to soften and then prize off the display.. But the whole process looks very simple.
Similar tutorials for unibody phones (which i will never purchase) look a nightmare to replace anything.
anyway im attempting to do mine soon, so i will post back here how i found it. what's the name of the app you use to limit brightness?

pontypool

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

So you limit the brightness? what app do you use? the problem isn't remotely visible if i turn the brightness up, what i wanted was an app to stop the display getting too DIM, especially when the phone idles and goes dim after 30 seconds, because then it's 5 times more visible.
The app i use is lux lite (app store) you can change put brightness on auto mode , but link a default brightness for whatever the ambient light is. For example, indoors the light might be dim, so you can either go into the lux dash and dim (or brighten it) and then link that brightness to the amount of ambient light. You can link the displays brightness depending on how much ambient light it senses basically. Curious to know what app you use??

Anyway I am going to attempt to replace the screen soon, as I found replacement kits on amazon for only 10 and it contains a suction cup to remove the screen, scalpel type tools to help you prize it off and adhesive strips, as you will be removing yours once you use a hot air dryer to soften then extract the screen from the body.

I have seen similar tutorials for the unibody phones, mainly iphone and htc , but they are a lot harder, and mean disassembling everything to access the screen.

Anyway i will post back here after i have done this to let you know how easy it was. If by accident i do damage the phone, i don't really care. as the new LG G5 will be out in march and features sd card and removable battery (i will never get a smartphone without both) i know they use cloud, but you can't access that if you lose internet and i know you can get up to 128 gig internal memory, but thats 5 times more expensive than buying a 128 gig memory card, the added bonus of the memory card being that it's removable and so versatile in it's functionality.
The removable battery because well, if you use your phone moderately/heavily and will find it difficult to sit near a charger for over an hour, then easily replacing the battery is essential, and much more convenient than carrying around bulky battery packs, which you then have to leave tethered to your phone while they work.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So you limit the brightness? what app do you use? the problem isn't remotely visible if i turn the brightness up, what i wanted was an app to stop the display getting too DIM, especially when the phone idles and goes dim after 30 seconds, because then it's 5 times more visible.
The app i use is lux lite (app store) you can change put brightness on auto mode , but link a default brightness for whatever the ambient light is. For example, indoors the light might be dim, so you can either go into the lux dash and dim (or brighten it) and then link that brightness to the amount of ambient light. You can link the displays brightness depending on how much ambient light it senses basically. Curious to know what app you use??

Anyway I am going to attempt to replace the screen soon, as I found replacement kits on amazon for only 10 and it contains a suction cup to remove the screen, scalpel type tools to help you prize it off and adhesive strips, as you will be removing yours once you use a hot air dryer to soften then extract the screen from the body.

I have seen similar tutorials for the unibody phones, mainly iphone and htc , but they are a lot harder, and mean disassembling everything to access the screen.

Anyway i will post back here after i have done this to let you know how easy it was. If by accident i do damage the phone, i don't really care. as the new LG G5 will be out in march and features sd card and removable battery (i will never get a smartphone without both) i know they use cloud, but you can't access that if you lose internet and i know you can get up to 128 gig internal memory, but thats 5 times more expensive than buying a 128 gig memory card, the added bonus of the memory card being that it's removable and so versatile in it's functionality.
The removable battery because well, if you use your phone moderately/heavily and will find it difficult to sit near a charger for over an hour, then easily replacing the battery is essential, and much more convenient than carrying around bulky battery packs, which you then have to leave tethered to your phone while they work.
Screen Filter by Haxor is the app I use.

I don't typically use any auto-brightness settings on my phone as I am extremely light sensitive and typically use lowest brightness, or even lower with Screen Filter app. (And the brightness sensor just uses power/memory in the background, so another reason to keep off.)
Honestly, I'd use my Sprint insurance and just get a new (well, refurb) S5 handset rather than buy some non-OEM screen off Amazon or eBay that may or *may not* be the exact match for my phone.
And *then* risk breaking something else on my phone hardware in the repair process.
There are certain things better left to the professionals.
My phone is still great in all other respects, so I just live with the occasional flickering for now. I'm eligible for my upgrade in April, so I also see the light at the end of the tunnel on this phone, so to speak.
Good luck!!
Please keep us posted on how this works out for you if you decide to proceed with the screen replacement - you're brave!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae