No Chatter Here About the S7? You Going to Upgrade?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I like what I've read and the videos I've seen but will wait to see what others have to say about it once it's in our hands (and if/when it goes on sale). Who's planning on upgrading and what is it about the S7/Edge that has you interested? The one thing I'm not pleased about is the inability to integrate the SD card into the device's memory (that Marshmallow made possible) but it's not a deal breaker by any means. The smaller mega-pixel isn't bothering me IF the larger sensor and wider aperture makes the difference it should. As a long time camera buff, I know MPs aren't everything. IP68 (water PROOF instead of water resistant) and with NO cover flap to worry about breaking off (mine hasn't) is
nice too.
Monica

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I finally thought to see if there was a S7 forum...duh! Still, I thought S5 users might be discussing if they were considering the upgrade.
Thanks for your reply :)

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I want to like the S7, but after my Verizon S5 and Tab Pro 8.4, I just don't think I could buy it. I simply don't trust that Samsung won't muck it up at some point over the next two years, if it's not mucked up with bloatware to start with. Combined with the end of carrier subsidies, I'm pretty certain I'm done with Samsung and will be getting a Nexus or Moto X Pure. I've learned the hard way that specs and features aren't everything.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I want to like the S7, but after my Verizon S5 and Tab Pro 8.4, I just don't think I could buy it. I simply don't trust that Samsung won't muck it up at some point over the next two years, if it's not mucked up with bloatware to start with. Combined with the end of carrier subsidies, I'm pretty certain I'm done with Samsung and will be getting a Nexus or Moto X Pure. I've learned the hard way that specs and features aren't everything.
Your problem is primarily with Verizon as they clone the software from Samsung and then heavily rewrite and amend it. If you buy the international unlocked version you won't have these problems. Although then you have to decide if the phone is worth $700 up front vs. $500 for the Nexus 6P. The camera in the S7 blows away everything except the Lumia one (but who wants to run Windows 10 mobile with next to no apps?) but is that worth $200?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I would buy one to replace my trusty S5 only if i have money to spare :(
The S7 looks great!

Posted with ❤Love❤

Price in the U.K. as quoted by Samsung for outright, sim free, purchase of the unbranded, Global, model is...

Model Galaxy S7, SM-G930F, Global = £569.00, USD$802.78, €729.56

Model Galaxy S7 Edge, SM-G935F, Global = £639.00, USD$901.54, €819.31

Source.

Last edited:

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The S5 is the last carrier / manufacturer bloatware phone that I will own. I love the features of my S5, but refuse to buy another phone that has two layers of crap between my phone and security / OS updates....

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The S5 is the last carrier / manufacturer bloatware phone that I will own. I love the features of my S5, but refuse to buy another phone that has two layers of crap between my phone and security / OS updates....

Guess you are on either AT&T or Verizon, "cloneware"? :D

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I might upgrade, but I might hold off for a while to save money. I don't necessarily need it, but I would like the better camera and updated stuff. I wish verizon would unlock the s5's bootloader, it could make this phone even better with cm.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been proselytizing the gospel about buying carrier unlocked phones, but few people have $800 to pay up front. :(

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been proselytizing the gospel about buying carrier unlocked phones, but few people have $800 to pay up front. :(

With the end of carrier subsidies I really think (hope) this will start to change. Midrange phones like the Nexuses and MotoX are pretty dang good and more than capable of meeting the vast majority of people's needs. Heck, even phones like the MotoG are decent today. It isn't like it was a few years ago where you really needed a top-line phone to make Android usable. Add in the fact that coverage has improved to the point where even here in the rural midwest the carrier isn't usually that important, then throw in Google Fi, and that light is definitely getting brighter at the end of the tunnel. Consumers just need to realize it. And I think they will over the next couple years as their subsidized contracts come due.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Guess you are on either AT&T or Verizon, "cloneware"? :D

How'd you guess? :)

It's frustrating to sit here with a Nexus 7 tablet with 6.0.1 that runs amazingly, and now has a better battery than it did when it was new, and watch my S5 (ATT) just flounder on 5.1.1. Does anyone think that the major manufacturers will hear that we don't want to be two steps away from Android, and start making some of these great pieces of hardware without their meddling hands?

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The carriers are ending the subsides for buying phones, and they are now "financing" them for the consumer, which will continue to tie people into contracts, and I guess make the monthly payment on the phone bearable. I think eventually, we as consumers, will become enlightened enough to see through this ruse, and figure a way to get the phone we really want at a competitive price.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The carriers are ending the subsides for buying phones, and they are now "financing" them for the consumer, which will continue to tie people into contracts, and I guess make the monthly payment on the phone bearable. I think eventually, we as consumers, will become enlightened enough to see through this ruse, and figure a way to get the phone we really want at a competitive price.

Yeah, overall the monthly costs are about what they were before...they lowered the contract prices then added the phone payment plan. However it does show people just what their phones are costing them while at the same time giving them an option to opt out of the phone payment. So it may take a few years, but I think most people will eventually come to the realization that paying $700+ dollars for a phone with bloatware on it is ridiculous and all manufacturers, including Samsung, will have to respond.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, overall the monthly costs are about what they were before...they lowered the contract prices then added the phone payment plan. However it does show people just what their phones are costing them while at the same time giving them an option to opt out of the phone payment. So it may take a few years, but I think most people will eventually come to the realization that paying $700+ dollars for a phone with bloatware on it is ridiculous and all manufacturers, including Samsung, will have to respond.

You may not know this but Samsung already sell unbranded phones, without carrier bloatware, in almost all other countries of the world except for the U.S.A. and Canada. See, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. The first sentence is...

"Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...
Think again!
"

Last edited:

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You may not know this but Samsung already sell unbranded phones, without carrier bloatware, in almost all other countries of the world except for the U.S.A. and Canada. See, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. The first sentence is...

"Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...
Think again!
"

Yes, but we still get the poorly written Samsung flavor of Android, even if we could get those phones. What about Samsung stepping up and giving us an option to buy their great hardware with a *Pure* (ala Motorola) android experience?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay