Replacing an SD card question.....

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a 16GB Galaxy 5 with an 8 GB SD card, which is close to full. I would like to replace that 8GB card with a 32GB. The current SD card has mostly music on it, but there is other stuff on there, like a folder for Android with a bunch of Data subfolders, and some other folders, which appear to be empty. I think that the way to do this is to move all of the SD card onto my laptop and then re-install it on a new card. Is this correct? Would this screw up any of the stuff currently on the device itself? And would I add the stuff from my computer onto the card DIRECTLY, or thru the phone connected to the computer? A dummies' question, perhaps, but I want to get it right.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
All the folders you see on the SD card are automatically put there by the phone... except any folders you created yourself. It sounds like you're able to transfer music from your laptop through a card reader. After you get your new card, just connect it to your laptop and put whatever files you want on it. Don't worry about the Android folders... they'll be generated by the phone.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - I remember reading somewhere that there are certain hidden files on the card that cannot be transferred...I have no idea what they are or whether they are on my card. It does sound like it should be as easy as you mention, but you never know...

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Not sure where/what you heard about hidden files. There are none. Just put your files on the card... the phone will take care of the rest.

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I just did what your are going to do. It will go quicker if you do as you suggested. Insert the SD card from your cell into the PC and copy the entire card over. Then insert your new card into the PC and transfer the
the cell info over to it with the additional items you want on it.

This is way faster than going through the USB ports.

Posted via the Android Central App

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - that answers what would have been my next question about the USB ports.
One more, tho...do I need to format the new card in the phone before I do the transfer?

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
As IA said yes, I always do mine because the USB people like to insert unnecessary junk on them.

I mostly use SanDisk Ultra.

Posted via the Android Central App

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
IA-
Dummy question again...but..do I format the new card IN the phone, or in the computer itself? So I would have to insert the new card into the phone, format it, then take it out to transfer the files from my computer to the card, then re-insert into the phone?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
IA-
Dummy question again...but..do I format the new card IN the phone, or in the computer itself? So I would have to insert the new card into the phone, format it, then take it out to transfer the files from my computer to the card, then re-insert into the phone?

Format it in the phone first to add the mandatory Android files that will make it work. Then add your own stuff.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. When I transfer the files from the computer to the newly formatted card,, will it not be transferring some same files that were originally transferred from the old card to the computer? (Hope you followed that....).

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. When I transfer the files from the computer to the newly formatted card,, will it not be transferring some same files that were originally transferred from the old card to the computer? (Hope you followed that....).

Not if you do the files individually and omit those 2 or 3 already on your newly formatted card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze