AT&T released a software update for the Samsung Galaxy S 5 (SM-G900A) on March 9, 2016

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got this update, but since it still says Version 5.1.1, this isn't the update to Marshmallow 6.0, right?

Is the S5 going to get the 6.0 update?

Thanks.

The recent AT&T release is merely a security patch. The Galaxy S5 is getting Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1. I have been on the stock Samsung firmware for Marshmallow for over a month now, on the Global, non carrier, model, G900F. See screenshot. Carrier releases are at the discretion of the carrier but since both AT&T and Verizon have released these security patches without updating the firmware, I would guess that it will be another 2 months before they release Marshmallow.

canadoc

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
If anyone can post a link to the ota zip file it would be a big help. Am in Canada on a factory unlocked AT&T phone. Had no idea I had to be on their network to get updates...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

stillmind

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it would be better to wait, since I've gotten my notice earlier today. Was told that at first, some updates make the unit lag...Hmm. What say you?

SnowyRa1n

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Maybe it would be better to wait, since I've gotten my notice earlier today. Was told that at first, some updates make the unit lag...Hmm. What say you?

In my experience with the update, I notice no performance enhancements but some minor issues that I could have done without.

SnowyRa1n

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I would but I'm unable to, without root and after already downloading it I have no options to do so and I believe most users are in the same boat.

anon(9858052)

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I had this exact problem with my last software update. I ended up deleting a lot of apps and photos to clear up space. Once I had 3GB of free space, the update finally installed without any problems.

Roopa Priya

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
i had my updates yesterday and my battery drains much faster. 100% --> 5 mins stand by mode 95% --> 1 hr --->80%.. am not using much. i always hate this kind of software updates. anyway we can turn off att updates in S5. thanks

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Got my forcible update on my SM-G900A today.

I, and others, find it ironic that America is leader of the free world and yet AT&T and Verizon users have less freedom with their Galaxy S5 phones than Communist China, Albania, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Libya, etc: :D

DuCeNuKeM

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
i had my updates yesterday and my battery drains much faster. 100% --> 5 mins stand by mode 95% --> 1 hr --->80%.. am not using much. i always hate this kind of software updates. anyway we can turn off att updates in S5. thanks
I'm also getting worse battery drain than before.

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Couple days in on this update. I believe the performance gains are real. For kicks I installed the real FB app and turned on VOLTE for a day to push the phone a little harder than usual. Pre-update I had VOLTE off and was using a sideloaded version of Facebook Lite.

I'm still easily getting at least 5 hours SOT. Other notes...I have Google Now cards turned off, Samsung and ATT bloat disabled thru Package Disabler Pro; running Nova Prime with unread count badges. I toggle BT and location on only when needed. Besides FB the only other user app commonly running in the background is RemoteLink (for OnStar) in order to use it as a key FOB for my vehicle.

No cache wipe post update either. Haven't had many phone calls to comment on call quality/connection for the baseband G900AUCU4CPA1.

I HOPE the Marshmallow build for this device (once it comes) is as stable as the last 2 updates ATT has pushed out.