Updating my G900W8

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi. This is my first posting here so please redirect me if there is an existing thread about this elsewhere. I'm just wondering if this phone will update on its own. I have it set to automatically check for updates but I haven't seen it do anything like that yet. I just got it last week and it has lolipop 5.1.1 on it. It's unlocked and not rooted also.

I guess my question is will it look at Samsung for its updates on its own? I've never had a smartphone before. I've always used those flip ones. I see an icon to create a Samsung account but I don't want another account if I can avoid it. Do I have to have a Samsung account in order to receive OS and security updates?

Here is some other info for it as it is now...

Device: Samsung Galaxy S5
Model number: SM-G900W8
Android version: 5.1.1 (Lollipop OS)
Baseband version G900W8VLU1COI4
Kernel version: 3.4.0-5793883
Build date: September 11,2015
Build number: LMY47X.G900W8VLU1COI4
SE for Android status: Enforcing SEPF_MSMG900W8_5.1.1_0038
Wed Oct 14 20:22:12 2015

Security Software Version:
MDF v1.1 Release 4
VPN v1.4 Release 5.3

Thanks for any answers to my question.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi. This is my first posting here so please redirect me if there is an existing thread about this elsewhere. I'm just wondering if this phone will update on its own. I have it set to automatically check for updates but I haven't seen it do anything like that yet. I just got it last week and it has lolipop 5.1.1 on it. It's unlocked and not rooted also.

I guess my question is will it look at Samsung for its updates on its own? I've never had a smartphone before. I've always used those flip ones. I see an icon to create a Samsung account but I don't want another account if I can avoid it. Do I have to have a Samsung account in order to receive OS and security updates?

Here is some other info for it as it is now...

Device: Samsung Galaxy S5
Model number: SM-G900W8
Android version: 5.1.1 (Lollipop OS)
Baseband version G900W8VLU1COI4
Kernel version: 3.4.0-5793883
Build date: September 11,2015
Build number: LMY47X.G900W8VLU1COI4
SE for Android status: Enforcing SEPF_MSMG900W8_5.1.1_0038
Wed Oct 14 20:22:12 2015

Security Software Version:
MDF v1.1 Release 4
VPN v1.4 Release 5.3

Thanks for any answers to my question.

Hello and welcome to Android Central rokemsokem!

Your firmware details show that you are indeed on the most recent release for the Canadian model of Galaxy S5, G900W8.

As you say that the phone is not rooted and is running the stock firmware for your CSC and Product code, you will receive updates OTA or via Samsung Kies/Smart Switch.

For more information regarding the Galaxy S5, see, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central rokemsokem!

Thanks. I've read quite a bit here since asking my question. There is a lot of stuff around here, for sure. In fact, I'd already read the S5 for dummies thread prior to asking my question here. That's actually how I found the forum.

Your firmware details show that you are indeed on the most recent release for the Canadian model of Galaxy S5, G900W8.

As you say that the phone is not rooted and is running the stock firmware for your CSC and Product code, you will receive updates OTA or via Samsung Kies/Smart Switch.

For more information regarding the Galaxy S5, see...

Good. That's good to know. I live in the United States even though it's a Canadian version of the S5. I bought the device from an aftermarket dealer refurbished so I suppose that's the flipside of it. It seems to work fine in the United States anyway. I get LTE when I'm out and about and away from wi-fi. I just wasn't sure if it'd matter that it was originally a carrier phone as far as pending OS and otherwise random security updates go so I wanted to better understand whether updates came directly from Samsung or not. It has a couple of Fido apps on it that can't be uninstalled or disabled. But I bought it unlocked.

Hey, thanks again for answering my question. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

SnowyRa1n

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't notified of the ota update right away, you can always check manually in Settings > About > Software Update to ensure you are running the most recent build and security patch.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
After some thought on it, I may likely not receive an upgrade at all. Or even any routine security updates. My S5 is a Candian model. And the original carrier doesn't even support the device anymore. It was Fido. So they aren't going to send out an update for a phone they don't even support anymore. Especially one that isn't even being used in Canada. And if these OS updates are carrier specific to build/region, I'm probably screwed. I don't even live in Canada. Nor do I use Fido.

I'm likely going to be better off just rooting it and looking to a mod or something.

This is what I get for buying a refurbished device, I suppose. It isn't even the model I ordered so they sent me the wrong model but I sure as heck don't feel like sending it back and going through the hassle of not having a phone for a week and having to set up everything again.

I had actually ordered the 900t just because of the unlocked bootloader. Sigh. What a pain in the *** this has been.

If the S7 wasn't a glorified phablet I'd just as soon buy one of those unlocked.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site

No, I don't think so. Not if the original carrier is Canadian and has discontinued the Canadian model of the S5. Plus I'm in the United States and using the Canadian variant on another network anyway. A prepaid one at that. No way I'll get updates I don't think.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Unlike the AT&T and Verizon updates that you must be on their network to receive, the Canadian carrier branded models are updated via Samsung and your network is not an issue. Providing the phone has never been rooted and is running the correct firmware for its CSC and Product code, it will receive an update when one is released.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Unlike the AT&T and Verizon updates that you must be on their network to receive, the Canadian carrier branded models are updated via Samsung and your network is not an issue. Providing the phone has never been rooted and is running the correct firmware for its CSC and Product code, it will receive an update when one is released.

Hm. Really. I sure hope so. That was kind of what I was wondering about there in the initial question I'd asked in the thread. I wasn't sure where the actual updates would come from since the original carrier doesn't support the device anymore. It sure would be nice if that's the case and Samsung actually distributes those. I don't really care about the os updates even though I was running my mouth over in the other thread. That was just more along the lines of griping at the overall model of device life cycles. I would like the regular security patches when available, though,

I looked far and wide on the web for the answer to that question with this discontinued Canadian model but couldn't find anything as far as updating it down the road that was difinitive.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I appreciate it. Seems like you have a good grasp on this stuff.

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
It looks like the device has never been rooted if this app I've installed is correct. It shows that Knox hasn't been tripped either.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2