constant pop-up...factory reset didn't fix it [Samsung Galaxy S5]

A

AC Question

I've started getting a popup from*S3.amazonaws.com and now other sites on my Galaxy S5 that takes over my web browser and won't let me back out. I've researched this and can't find much information concerning this. I was told to perform a factory reset but this didn't work. Has anyone else out there experienced this. I've scanned with Lookout and installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but have found nothing. I've cleared all the internet caches and cookies, restarted the phone, but it still seems to pop up

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this only happen when browsing, or even when you're on the homescreen or in other apps? If it only happens while browsing, is it with the stock Internet browser, or with Chrome?

anglwngss

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I'm having the same issue with s3.amazonaws.com. It's only when I use the internet. I can do a search from the google app, but when I go to click on any site, I get a popup saying I've won a free iPhone, click ok. There is no option other than the ok. you cannot click out of it. If you hit the back button, another popup.. are you sure you want to leave this page? then it just goes form popup to another. If you do click ok (on the first popup) it takes you to a fake Facebook page where people are talking about receiving the iPhone. It's only a picture of the facebook page, nothing real. ALL internet sites do this and I'm using whichever browser the phone defaults to. It only happens on internet sites, not on any other apps.

larsonszoo

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue, and can't access the internet as a result. I've tried running both my anti-virus/malware programs, restart, and shut down, and nothing clears it. I really could use some advice, especially if a factory reset didn't clear it.

karasahin

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Another topic that proves factory reset almost useless. I would recommend to install custom recovery if you have root access and try complete wipe.

Kyle Nally

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
This isn't a virus. Ignore every solution telling you how to clean it- they won't work. At worst, you'll be tricked into GETTING a virus.

I've been pulling together information about this for two days straight trying to fix this myself. Here's the filthy secret:

There's nothing to fix.

These pop-ups are coming to you embedded in ads that are served from s3.amazonaws.com. They're Javascript code being embedded into legitimate pages running ads infected with the malicious code. I've gotten them from m.phys.org, of all places.

I even got one through an ad running ON THIS VERY SITE.

Do NOT clear the cache, clear data, factory reset, install a browser, install this, or install that. Don't waste your time cleaning or doing a factory reset. You CAN'T "remove" this because there's nothing to remove.

I just tried blocking *.amazonaws.com at the router I'm connected to here at home. While that MIGHT fix the issue for me while on my home wifi, it won't do diddly-poo for me anywhere else.

You'll find a lot of so-called "solutions" for this if you Google

s3.amazonaws.com pop-up
s3.amazonaws.com android
s3.amazonaws.com virus
s3.amazonaws.com malware

None of the hits you get have a working solution, and almost every one tells you to do something different. That's the hint that something else is going on other than a virus.

Again: you'll see this EVEN ON LEGIT SITES LIKE THE NEW YORK TIMES. It's coming from the ads themselves.

And THAT sucks.

mgpri

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
This is the best information I have found so far. One question, what is the best way to unfreeze the screen and bypass the popup? Am I opening up my phone to more problems if I click OK and then close my browser? It seems a permanent fix is not possible at this point.