marshmellow or android n

steven dawe

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Now that android n is coming out early is it likely samsung will skip marshmellow for android n for the galaxy s 5?

Posted via the Android Central App

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I dunno...I haven't seen 5.1.1 yet on Verizon...and my thought was we'd get Marshmallow and that was gonna be the last update we saw. Who knows...

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Now that android n is coming out early is it likely samsung will skip marshmellow for android n for the galaxy s 5?

Android N is still at the development stage and the only release has been to Nexus users with a view to beta testing for app developers. Actual release, commercially, will not be for another 5 or 6 months or so. Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1 is already on some Galaxy S5 devices. See screenshot, below.

BlurryEyed is correct, in that the Galaxy S5 is now at End of Life and highly unlikely to receive an official update to Android N.

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Stuff like this baffles me. It's annoying even. The device isn't even 2 years old yet is considered to be end of life. That's kind of like buying a new truck only to have the manufacturer say it isn't going to offer parts and service for it 24 months later if something happens to it that it needs some work under the hood because...oh, hey, a lot of people want to buy the new truck with the different rims and bumpers so, too bad, so sad, we're not going to concern ourselves with having any responsibility with the one we sold you a mere 24 months ago.

Last edited:

SnowyRa1n

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I read an article that N is supposed to be released mid-May and it's very possible that the S5 is one of the devices that will skip Marshmallow and go straight to N.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I read an article that N is supposed to be released mid-May and it's very possible that the S5 is one of the devices that will skip Marshmallow and go straight to N.

Android N UK release date, name and new features: Android N Developer Preview announced. Plus: the next Android OS will be called Android Na...

"Android N will get its first proper outing at Google I/O 2016, which has now been confirmed to run 18- to 20 May 2016. However, Google has already released the Android N Developer Preview, which you can install on its current Nexus devices for early testing. If you wish to be at Google I/O, note that registrations begin on 8 March.
Later in the year, most likely October 2016 (although in 2015 we saw Google announce Android Marshmallow early at the end of September), the final version of Android N will be announced. It will ship preinstalled on whichever new Nexus devices Google creates for 2016, most likely sticking to new Nexus phones, and will be available to download to older Nexus devices soon after. Other flagship Android devices will get the upgrade toward the end of the year or early 2017.
"

So, "IF", the Galaxy S5 does receive Android N, it will be after the new Galaxy S8, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S6 phones. Probably, sometime around Q3 of 2017.

Stuff like this baffles me. It's annoying even. The device isn't even 2 years old yet is considered to be end of life.

The Galaxy S5 was launched April 2014 and by Q3 of 2017 it will be getting on for 3.5 years old. Whilst spares and repairs will still be available and security updates will be released, it is doubtful if Android N will definitely be released for the S5 as various versions will have received, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0, Android 5.0.1, Android 5.0.2, Android 5.1.1 and Android 6.0.1, by then.

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The Galaxy S5 was launched April 2014 and by Q3 of 2017 it will be getting on for 3.5 years old.

Okay. So, then, 36 month old hardware can't handle an operating system built 36 months after its manufacturing/writing? Is that what you're saying? If not, then, why not? What is so intricate about an android operating system that comes 24-36 months later that the GS5 can't handle it? If so and it can actually handle the new android operating system, then, why not allow them to receive updates to the operating system? I'm new with smart phones, so, I'm trying to learn the logic here. Thanks.

As an aside, I've learned today that I'm vulnerable to Stagefright 2. CVE-2015-6602. Certainly this could be patched and released since my operating system can handle such an amendment to it's hardware but given that this hasn't happened, do I have to fork out 4 or 5 hundred bucks for a new Samsung S7 in order to be secure in my equipment and its function? That doesn't seem very fair. Not only that, I don't want a 5.5 inch screen. My hands aren't that big. What I want a phone that big for? With something like that I may as well carry around a man purse. And I'm just not the man purse and 5.5 inch phablet kind of feller. You know?

Of course, there is the S6. But snaps. No SD card. I need an SD card with 128gig capability just because I transfer files a lot and don't have access to the cloud/Internet a lot of times in my line of work.

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Ah well. I don't want to pester you or anything, ironass. It isn't a very polite thing to do, I suppose. And you're really helpful here from what I've read and seem to have offered quite a bit of very useful and helpful input all over the place. So, I don't expect you to indulge in my gripe. I just didn't know all of this stuff before buying the Samsung GS5 is all. As I'd mentioned, live and learn, I suppose. Living and learning is often an expensive endeavor unfortunately. If we're smart we only make one time payments on such lessons.

Here I was under the impression that this very capable device would continue to receive updates conforming to the limitations/constraints of its hardware. This seems logical to me from an engineering perspective. But it doesn't seem to be the case from a marketing perspective. It's unfortunate because it really is a nice and a very capable device just to leave consumers of the device and the device itself abandoned like that.

Last edited:

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
That is the one downfall of Android is the updates and stuff. Apple as boring as it is will update most phones as updates become available. But the way I think about is the fact that we are supposed to upgrade every other year at least anyways.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
That is the one downfall of Android is the updates and stuff. Apple as boring as it is will update most phones as updates become available.

Seems like they even update their devices that can't technically handle the updated system, too. But, yeah, I'm not much on Apple products myself. I've seen the iPhone. I just don't care for it. Plus I really do need an SD card. It isn't a want so much as a need. And I like android itself.

I actually walked into the Apple store in the mall to look at iPhones but I turned around and walked out as quick as I walked in. Let's just say that a feller wearing 501s and western boots stood out like a sore thumb in that store. It was a really weird experience. So, I went home and ordered the Samsung online. Heh.

But the way I think about is the fact that we are supposed to upgrade every other year at least anyways.

By whose/what standard is it a fact that replacement of a device every other year is a necessary requirement?

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have not said that.

Yeah, I know. I was just griping. But you know where I'm coming from. Right?

Anyway. I'm not going to harp on it. I've already griped about it more than I wanted but after some thought on it I just got a bit annoyed by it. Seems like consumers are relatively market programmed/trained to conform to the model so I don't see it changing. Is what it is, I suppose. Free market will work it out. At least I hope so. When the market dictates the consumer's action as opposed to the consumer's action dictating the market I start to have doubts. Perhaps carriers will gradually be removed from the equation and people will start bringing their own phones as opposed to having to buy from them. I hope so anyway. That's likely another large part of the consumer brainwashing to keep them thinking they have to replace their devices all of the time when their contracts are up with the carrier, I imagine. And they're largely the roadblocks in timely updates on top of that as I understand. I suppose that's likely an op-ed that's already been scribbled a time or three, though.

Last edited:

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
This baffles me as well.
The iPhone 4S which debuted in 2011 is STILL receiving updates albeit without EVERY latest feature, but it's still something.

It would be a shame if this phone doesn't get N, but it I wouldn't be surprised.
Look at the S4.
It's already been left in the dust. 😕

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I keep hoping every year that people will realize the Emperor is not wearing clothes and stop buying:

• $700 flagship phones
  • carrier phones
  • non-Nexus phones
Honestly if I could buy a decent web browser / amazing camera and then the phone is a small module that plugs into it that I can upgrade every year, I'd be happy.

SnowyRa1n

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Ironass - the article I read was a bit misleading in that respect, thanks for the additional info.

Rokemsokem - I think he meant the average contract is 24 months at which point people usually upgrade their phone. I don't agree with this, however, because the reason I didn't buy an S6 when I switched to ATT a few months ago was because the S5 had features the S6 didn't that were more or less non-negotiable for me. Nor do most people have their contract happen to fall in line with phone releases.

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The big difference between Apple and Android is that Apple not only designs and sells their own hardware, they also have iTunes. So they are more towards offering a service over selling hardware. They know that if you don't get a new device, they can still make money off you from buying music, movies, apps, and anything else iTunes sells.

Android on the other hand doesn't have that monopoly. The only way these device manufacturers can make money is if you buy their phones. So this is the prime reason they only support a device for a limited time. They may deny it, but if you really think about it, it's the truth.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Ah well. I don't want to pester you or anything, ironass. It isn't a very polite thing to do, I suppose. And you're really helpful here from what I've read and seem to have offered quite a bit of very useful and helpful input all over the place. So, I don't expect you to indulge in my gripe. I just didn't know all of this stuff before buying the Samsung GS5 is all. As I'd mentioned, live and learn, I suppose. Living and learning is often an expensive endeavor unfortunately. If we're smart we only make one time payments on such lessons.

Here I was under the impression that this very capable device would continue to receive updates conforming to the limitations/constraints of its hardware. This seems logical to me from an engineering perspective. But it doesn't seem to be the case from a marketing perspective. It's unfortunate because it really is a nice and a very capable device just to leave consumers of the device and the device itself abandoned like that.

Even if the GS5 gets Marshmallow as the last software update, the phone will still work and still get security patches. All this fuss and bother about getting the latest version of Android. Sure it would be nice to get it as fast as Apple users, but in reality it is not affecting the use of the phone.

And Apple users make a heap of other sacrifices I am not prepared to make. And if you really want to have the current version of Android quickly, you can always buy a Nexus. In the world of Android, something for everyone unlike Apple-here are 2 handsets. Like it or lump it.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
This baffles me as well.
The iPhone 4S which debuted in 2011 is STILL receiving updates albeit without EVERY latest feature, but it's still something.

It would be a shame if this phone doesn't get N, but it I wouldn't be surprised.
Look at the S4.
It's already been left in the dust. 😕

Yep, apple does provide longer software support for their devices than all android phones. BUT, they SILENTLY kills their old devices thru updates. Just look at the 4S, it LAGS A LOT. Even my iPad 3 is slower than a cheap android tablet. It used to run like a champ until i updated my ipad to ios9. Android provides update that is sure for the device to run it smoothly.

Posted with ❤Love❤

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Even if the GS5 gets Marshmallow as the last software update, the phone will still work and still get security patches. All this fuss and bother about getting the latest version of Android. Sure it would be nice to get it as fast as Apple users, but in reality it is not affecting the use of the phone.

And Apple users make a heap of other sacrifices I am not prepared to make. And if you really want to have the current version of Android quickly, you can always buy a Nexus. In the world of Android, something for everyone unlike Apple-here are 2 handsets. Like it or lump it.

Yeah, that's really all I care about anyway is the security updates. I don't really care for a newer operating system, per se. Unless they bundle security updates ito a new operating system itself that is only attainable by way of an operating system upgrade.

Anyway. I'm kind of learning as I go. I like this S5. It's a nice phone for me. I want to keep it as long as I can. I'd actually buy a newer S7 if it weren't so big. 5.5 inch screen is too big for my use. May as well carry around a tablet. But I'll keep an eye out for newer Samsung pruducts anyway in the future in case they maybe jump back down to a 5 inch screen. I like Samsung because they don't just bow over to letting Google be the default everything on their devices. An example is Samsung's music player. That thing blows Google's music player out of the water.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad