S5 owners with Marshmallow - how is it?

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
It's not truly seamless...again, apps that reside on the SD card will be moved back to internal storage when updated. If the adopted storage were truly seamless, this would not be necessary.
Apps need to have a property called "android:installLocation" set to "preferExternal" or "auto" for Adoptive Storage to work properly. Until then, apps will snap back to internal storage when they are updated.

inner_vision

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
+1 on the fingerprint scanner. I flashed an AOSP rom when they figured out the fingerprint scanner, and even it is an improvement over stock Samsung. When marshmallow comes out for the 900I, I will definitely be using the stock rom again

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Having gotten my first Samsung device, the S5 just a little before the switch to marshmallow was made, I have to say the difference was very noticeable and very good. Battery lasts much longer than it used to. With Verizon, though, there is tons of bloatware. Most of which I can easily disable, though, so, not too big a deal.
I didn't know that Verizon pushed the update to any S5's. I'm not expecting anything until at least May.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I understand #1.6. I have the Verizon variant (SM-G900V) of the s5. I was just surprised that Verizon would have pushed an update for the s5, if that is what happened.

The Verizon model, G900V, has not received Marshmallow yet. The most recent update, PB1, is for a security patch for Android 5.0.

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
The Verizon model, G900V, has not received Marshmallow yet. The most recent update, PB1, is for a security patch for Android 5.0.
Oh, gotcha. I had interpreted the post (#15) from ApprenticeSecond72 as a claim of receiving the marshmallow update from Verizon on an s5. Probably just my confusion. Thanks ironass.

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
As I understand it Marshmallow allows restriction of services to apps. Does it work?

I need to understand why the Walgreens app needs access to the flashlight, prevent the phone from sleeping, change my audio settings or pair with Bluetooth devices. Or why the Wall Streeet Journal app needs NFC, read the phone status and identity, etc.

I can't wait to prevent apps from using certain services. Come on, Verizon get going on the S5 version.

dazorange

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
As I understand it Marshmallow allows restriction of services to apps. Does it work?

I need to understand why the Walgreens app needs access to the flashlight, prevent the phone from sleeping, change my audio settings or pair with Bluetooth devices. Or why the Wall Streeet Journal app needs NFC, read the phone status and identity, etc.

I can't wait to prevent apps from using certain services. Come on, Verizon get going on the S5 version.

That is one of the main features I'm looking forward to with Marshmallow. Hope that Verizon actually gets the update out sometime soon.

77mwat

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Some S5s have gotten Marshmallow 6.0.1 and I have to ask, how has it been so far?

Posted via the Android Central App

I noticed something strange when I updated my S5 on the Telus network in Canada and have the Google Now Launcher running. Not all of Samsungs app icons changed to the new rounded style icons. Some did, but not the icons for the camera, messages, or my files. These are the same as they were in Lollipop. They're round if I switch back to the Touchwiz launcher tough. And just as strange, I updated my wifes S5 (same network) which also has the Google Now Launcher running but all of the Samsung icons on her phone have switched to the new rounded style. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Google Now Launcher on my phone, clearing cache, restarts, etc but nothing seems to change those icons to the new ones. It's a minor issue but anyone else have this happen on their S5?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon